Compared: Magic Keyboard versus Brydge Pro+ for iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2020
Apple's Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro with a floating design, backlit keyboard, and glass multi-touch trackpad is now available. We compare it to the new Brydge Pro+ to see which device wins out in features and quality.

Magic Keyboard (left) and Brydge Pro+ (right)
Magic Keyboard (left) and Brydge Pro+ (right)

Brydge Pro+ and Magic Keyboard similarities

Both of these premium-quality accessories fit the same models of iPad Pro. There are versions for both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch sizes of the 2018 and 2020 iPad Pros. With the Logitech Combo Touch only available for older iPads at the moment, these are the only true options that users have if they want a keyboard and trackpad combo.

Each of them sport fantastic build quality, with Brydge being made up of aluminum with a glass trackpad while the Magic Keyboard has a vinyl exterior with metal hinges and a glass trackpad of its own. Both manufactures can also push firmware updates to these devices, making sure they stay up to date and compatible with the latest iPadOS updates.

There are full backlit keyboards on each, an adjustable hinge to set your preferred viewing angle, and protection for the display of your iPad.

From there, these two excellent productivity tools begin to diverge.

Apple's Magic Keyboard

Apple's own Magic Keyboard sets the bar in terms of what an iPad Pro keyboard should be. Rather than rely on Bluetooth, Apple uses the Smart Connector which means you never have to charge the keyboard. As long as your iPad Pro has power, so does your Magic Keyboard. An additional USB-C port on the hinge makes this even easier to manage.

Apple's Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro
Apple's Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro

To connect your iPad, just bring it near and the magnets do the rest. They pull the iPad into place and hold onto it well. As we adjusted it, it never misaligned or came free errantly.

The keyboard itself has a great amount of key travel with very solid keys. There is a small amount of key wiggle compared to the 16-inch MacBook Pro, but not much at all. Brydge has a higher degree of wiggle to the keys, often with us having the occasional keystroke not register.

The backlight is near perfect, with almost no light leak around the keys. Brydge has quite a lot of backlight leaking around the keys which can be distracting, especially depending on your viewing angle.

Magic Keyboard trackpad (right) versus Brydge Pro+ trackpad (left)
Magic Keyboard trackpad (right) versus Brydge Pro+ trackpad (left)

To no surprise, Apple nailed the trackpad as well. It is decently sized, though can feel cramped if you are used to the larger ones on a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. It supports multi-touch gestures for going to the home screen, accessing the app switcher, and moving between apps. Not to mention two-finger swipes to go back inside of apps, two fingers for scrolling, and pinching for Maps and Photos.

Apple also managed to enable clicks around the entire trackpad surface. Brydge uses a diving board style trackpad which means the far end is fixed, allowing the rest to flex and click. This hurts the user experience when you try to press down and it simply doesn't let you.

Brydge Pro+

The Brydge Pro+ keyboard has a full row of function keys above your standard keys. These make it easy to control media, lock the iPad, adjust volume, and even control brightness.

Apple decided not to include these function keys, which is disappointing. It makes manually adjusting the keyboard backlight on Apple's offering much harder, requiring users to dig into settings.

A Control Center toggle for this could go a long way. Apple's keyboard does adjust automatically based on the room's ambient light, but if you do want to adjust it on your own it isn't as simple as it could be.

Brydge Pro+ also has a far better angle variance. Brydge Pro+ can go from 0 degrees while closed to 180 degrees when fully opened. Magic Keyboard restricts movement to only around 125 degrees. If you want it to go further back, you're out of luck.

Brydge Pro+
Brydge Pro+

The trackpad on Brydge Pro+ is bigger than the Magic Keyboard, which would be better if it supported all the gestures that the Magic Keyboard supports. But, in our testing, we're seeing some lag between user input, and the movement of the pointer on the iPad screen. This isn't great.

The Brydge Pro+ is much more affordable than the Magic Keyboard. It still maintains a premium price tag, but at $199 for the 11-inch, it comes in at a hundred dollars less than Apple's offering.

Which should I buy?

If money is no object, then go with the Magic Keyboard. It has a better design, keyboard, and trackpad. The physical Smart Connector reduces any lag, of which can be a frustrating problem with Brydge's trackpad.
BrydgeMagic Keyboard
iPad support2018 and 2020 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pros2018 and 2020 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pros
MaterialAluminumMetal and vinyl
Function keysYesNo
Backlit keysYes, adjust through function keysYes, adjusted automatically
USB-C PortUSB-C input for charging keyboardAdditional USB-C for charging iPad Pro
ConnectivityBluetoothSmart Connector
Supported angles0 to 180 degrees0 to 125 degrees
Price$199 and $229$299 and $349
However, if you are willing to compromise and still want an excellent keyboard with a functional trackpad, Brydge can save you some cash while still delivering a quality typing experience.

Where to buy

The brand new Brydge Pro+ is set to begin shipping at the end of April, running $199 for the 11-inch and $229 for the 12.9-inch model.

The Magic Keyboard for Apple's new iPad Pro is available to purchase from Adorama, Amazon and B&H Photo. The 11-inch version costs $299, while the 12.9-inch version retails for $349.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Do either of these support tapping to click on the trackpad or tapping with 2 fingers for right-click? That’s how I have my MBP set up and I can’t remember the last time I actually clicked by pressing on the trackpad, so the diving board issue would be moot. 
    chasm
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    MplsP said:
    Do either of these support tapping to click on the trackpad or tapping with 2 fingers for right-click? That’s how I have my MBP set up and I can’t remember the last time I actually clicked by pressing on the trackpad, so the diving board issue would be moot. 
    Both support this
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 40
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    What effect does the Apple keyboard have on iPad battery life?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    I ordered the Brydge because I need a Hand-e-Holder on the back of my iPad. I regard any trackpad functionality to be a bonus.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Second the battery life question. Does the Apple keyboard change the battery life of the device a lot?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    My Magic Keyboard should be here tomorrow, so I’m excited about that, and Brydge has said, last week, that my order should be shipping shortly. So hopefully, as I cross everything I have attached to me that can cross, I hope that just maybe I’ll have both to play with over the weekend, or not.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 40
    dymmasdymmas Posts: 33member
    Another massive benefit of the smart connector design: the joy of not having to disconnect a Bluetooth keyboard. When using the iPad as a hands-only tablet and you need to use the touch keyboard, it not appearing due to the iPad thinking the Bluetooth keyboard is the main one is annoying. Not so with the smart connector!
    MplsPStrangeDayschasmsvanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 40
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    These keyboard+trackpad add-ons are truly transformative. Once you hook one up you are no longer driving an iPad. I guess if you love the traditional iPad experience you should just buy an iPad Mini and cozy up with it on the sofa. Having a keyboard and trackpad on the iPad Pro is still not the same as having a MacBook, but you may very well discover that you really don’t need a MacBook and the iPad Pro is more than enough computer to serve your needs. I’m kind of blown away by how much I don’t miss my MacBook when I’m using an iPad Pro with a highly functional keyboard+trackpad.
    GG1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    These hinges to hold the iPad to the keyboard really is a deal breaker. I’ll spend $100 more for Magic Keyboard.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 40
    I’m kind of on the fence about it because it “basically“ works for 2018 iPad Pro. It fits but the camera is different so the cutout is bigger than it needs to be so I’m not sure if that’s going to bother me. But on the other hand I generally feel frustrated scrolling with the iPad because words and phrases get unintentionally highlighted very often, which I hate. So I’m hoping that using the trackpad on the Magic Keyboard will solve this problem. Will it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Second the battery life question. Does the Apple keyboard change the battery life of the device a lot?
    I can't answer directly for these devices but I have a Logitech Smart Folio keyboard for my 2nd gen iPad Pro that uses the smart connector and I haven't noticed a significant change in battery life. It's a difficult question to answer, though. maintaining a bluetooth connection takes some battery, and the brightness of the keyboard backlight will change the drain as well. On top of that, usage patterns are different with vs without the keyboard. When I don't have the keyboard attached, it's usually because I'm watching a movie or using it for a video conference, vs typing emails, etc with the keyboard.

I haven't seen any direct comparisons of x hours with a BT keyboard vs x hours with a smart connector keyboard, though.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 40

fallenjt said:
    These hinges to hold the iPad to the keyboard really is a deal breaker. I’ll spend $100 more for Magic Keyboard.
    Why? My wife has a Brydge keyboard that I got her for Christmas and loves it - the hinges work perfectly. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 13 of 40
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Well clearly it has to use some battery since it is backlit and the keyboard itself will take a small amount of current but there is no reason to believe it will be different than the current Smart Keyboard Folio. I suspect that if you leave the backlight off, you won’t notice any difference. Mine comes tomorrow so I’ll know more soon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 40
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    Have had the Brydge keyboard as the third try for my 2018 11" iPad Pro. The first was the Apple keyboard that allowed the new iPad to slide out onto concrete face down. Got a replacement iPad. Then I tried the Zagg and the foot out the back side for stability made the entire assembly too deep for airline seat back tables. The Brydge keyboard has been wonderful. I will give this keyboard to my step daughter when the trackpad version of the Brydge keyboard arrives. The Brydge has it's own battery good for over a month so no drain on the iPad battery to run the keyboard. The Keyboard has a USB-C power port and the iPad could charge it the Brydge if necessary with the supplied short cable. The Bbrydge just seems to be a better built product than the Apple product I tried and returned.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    No comparison of weight? With the different build materials this would be very useful to know. 

According to Gruber’s review, MK viewing angle is listed as 90 to 130. He confirmed the 130 with a protractor. 

https://daringfireball.net/2020/04/the_ipad_magic_keyboard
    edited April 2020 razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 40
    No comparison of weight? With the different build materials this would be very useful to know. 

According to Gruber’s review, MK viewing angle is listed as 90 to 130. He confirmed the 130 with a protractor. 

https://daringfireball.net/2020/04/the_ipad_magic_keyboard
    According to the Brydge web site, the 12.9" version weighs 690g.
    From Gruber's review that you cited, the Apple Magic Keyboard weighs 710g.
    edited April 2020 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 40
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Regarding the "battery drain" of using the Magic Keyboard: I don't have one to test at present, but the "drain" should be absolutely minimal, as keyboards don't use much power at all (see also: how often you have to charge or change the batteries in any Bluetooth keyboard you own -- it's likely at least weeks if not months).

The Smart Connector should use even less power than maintaining a Bluetooth connection (though this could be offset if you use the backlighting constantly/often). Given the strong battery life of the iPads Pro, this wouldn't be much of a concern to me for either of the two products, but of course testing will out the results and I hope AI will consider doing a side-by-side endurance test on both to see which is more miserly with the iPad's battery -- but my bet is the Magic Keyboard will win that contest.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 40
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    Just adding my two cents here…

Chasm is right about the batteries. Unless the devices are very badly designed you shouldn't even notice the extra drain from the keyboard; and if you notice it it will most likely just be you looking for something that you think should exist. And… on top of that the BT-LE vs physical connector is mainly theoretical; and slight changes in the implementation could give the advantage to either side.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 40
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    BTW, as a non-US person these keyboards always end up with me having to buy from the truly international companies, because they are the only ones releasing their keyboards with different international layouts (and they are physically different, so no, remapping keys isn't enough).
  • Reply 20 of 40
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    MplsP said:

fallenjt said:
    Why? My wife has a Brydge keyboard that I got her for Christmas and loves it - the hinges work perfectly. 
    Is the lag as bad as shown in the video? I’m using an original Apple Bluetooth wireless keyboard and a Magic Mouse 2 and haven’t experienced the lag shown.
    watto_cobra