Don't send bands in with Apple Watch repairs -- because you won't get them back

Posted:
in General Discussion
If you've broken your Apple Watch, make sure you've removed the band and taken off any protective cases, because Apple is now clear that they won't be returned when they send back your watch.

Just send your Watch in for repair, not any straps or accessories
Just send your Watch in for repair, not any straps or accessories

Apple has formally updated its advice to users on how to prepare an Apple Watch to be sent for repair, and now specifies that extra items, such as bands, will not be returned. Previously, the official advice was that you don't need to include them, but now you are explicitly asked to "please remove them."

AppleInsider sources report that Apple's prior approach was to bundle together any items sent alongside a Watch, and return them when practical. Bands would not be re-attached, but they would be sent back to the user together with the repaired watch.

Now the advice on how to "Get Your Apple Watch Ready for Service," has updated and formalized what happens.

"Your Apple Watch band and any other accessories that you send won't be returned," says the updated support document, "so please remove them before sending your Apple Watch in for service."

It also singles out one type of band for special mention. "If you have a Link Bracelet band," it says, "remember to separate the links before you remove the band."

This is specifically about mailing in an Apple Watch in for repair yourself. When Apple Stores re-open, the situation for taking a Watch in to a Genius Bar appointment has not changed. In that case, you will still be asked to bring your power cables and any adapters you use -- but you'll still have to remove the watch band at some point.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    This is also true with sending anything out to repair at one of Apple’s contracted repair facilities. No iPhone or iPad cases, Macbook cases or keyboard covers. They end up getting lost usually.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    A year or so ago when my Series 0 had a problem I took it to the Apple Store.   They removed the band and sent it out.   I got back a refurbished watch in a small box that could only hold the watch (no room for bands or anything else).   So, yeh, that makes sense.    (The neat part was that the refurbished unit was a step up to a Series 1!)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    What a sad state of affairs it would be if a real live, face-to-face Apple Genius couldn't handle the band removal for you.  I hazard a guess that 99% of the times someone brings their watch to an Apple Store they haven't removed the band, nor would they be expected to.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    In the case of a watch it would sure seem possible for them to put the watch and bank in a zip lock type bag, repair it and then return it to the owner in the bag. One would think that in a company as large as Apple that some genius there could solve this problem.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Or- one would think streamlining an operation by not having to tidy up unnecessary items, reducing the risk of loss or theft, and ultimately speed the turnaround, would be good thing for both Apple and the customer.

I'm guessing this new policy also helps with a possible reduced workforce at Apple, under current circumstances.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    The same goes with AidPod Pro tips; I had a defunct AirPods earbud I brought in for a replacement and didn't think to take off the tip so had to find a replacement.  The replacement they gave me wasn't the same size I needed.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    And what will they do with the bands? Refurbish them and resell them on the Apple site? If so, that’s quite a profit margin.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    In the case of a watch it would sure seem possible for them to put the watch and bank in a zip lock type bag, repair it and then return it to the owner in the bag. One would think that in a company as large as Apple that some genius there could solve this problem.
    That's my thought, especially since bands at the Apple Store start at $50 and approach $500. If I had a $200 watch band that got sent in with my watch and I didn't get it back I'd be pissed.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    rossb2rossb2 Posts: 89member
    the monk said:
    And what will they do with the bands? Refurbish them and resell them on the Apple site? If so, that’s quite a profit margin.
    Apple do not sell refurbished bands in their refurbished section. Refurbishing presents an issue, because the band would have to be washed and cleaned for hygiene reasons. Also , in some cases, the wear and tear on a plastic, leather,  or material band would make a refurb impractical. You would throw it in the bin. The only band I see as a practical returb would be a repainted carbonised steel band. At $450/unit, they are probably the rarest band.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    What a sad state of affairs it would be if a real live, face-to-face Apple Genius couldn't handle the band removal for you.  I hazard a guess that 99% of the times someone brings their watch to an Apple Store they haven't removed the band, nor would they be expected to.
    Why would you think that's even remotely the case?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

The box they send you to ship a Watch for repair, and the one you get it back in, is literally built to only hold the watch body itself. It's best if they don't have to track any additional parts which don't have serial numbers or other identifying traits to have to track along the way, aside from the packaging constraints.