Former T-Mobile CEO John Legere leaves board 'to pursue other options'

Posted:
in General Discussion
John Legere, who stepped down as T-Mobile's CEO in early April, abruptly departed the company's board of directors this week after previously stating plans to remain at the telecom until June.

News of Legere's exit from T-Mobile was disclosed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Friday, which said the former chief executive today told the company he would be leaving the board "effective immediately to pursue other options."

"It has been a privilege and honor to have led T-Mobile as CEO for the past seven and a half years and served on the Board of Directors," Legere said in his notice to the company, according to the filing. "And although I will be leaving the Board just a few weeks earlier than planned, be assured that I remain T-Mobile's #1 fan!"

Legere, who helped T-Mobile successfully navigate seven tumultuous years in an industry dominated by an AT&T and Verizon duopoly, earlier this month stepped down as CEO when the firm completed its merger with Sprint. As a result, former COO Mike Sievert was handed the leadership position a month ahead of schedule.

Prior to today's development, Legere was expected to serve out his term as a member of the board until June 4, 2020.

It is unknown where Legere is headed and why he needed to depart T-Mobile in such an abrupt manner. Rumors last year suggested the "Un-carrier" boss would end up at WeWork, but those reports were later exposed as unfounded.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    personperson Posts: 31member
    Is this why T-Mobile is suddenly blocking the Expressvpn app except for on the lowest security setting?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    I don’t know if any of the great T-Mobile ideas were from him but either way I hope they don’t lose their way. He was a good figurehead even though he was somewhat nutty. 
    GeorgeBMacrazorpitllama
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Man, he would be an awesome fit at Apple...  
    bushman4doozydozenBeats
  • Reply 4 of 19
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    jOHN LEGERE Is a disruptor and accomplished bringing T Mobile to being in the same ball bark as ATT and Verizon
    doozydozenllama
  • Reply 5 of 19
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    One of the only carrier CEOs to  give iPhone it's credit.
    edited April 2020 llama
  • Reply 6 of 19
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    When you leave a board, its typically to avoid a conflict of interest. He will show up at another telecom or tech company soon. I don’t think he’s a fit for Apple. He’ll more likely show up at a SpaceX/Tesla or well-backed startup to head a new (satellite?) communications effort... My own speculation.
    anantksundaramrazorpit
  • Reply 7 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    T-Mobile has been the only U.S. carrier capable of going head to head with other world telecoms -- including China's.

Does anybody seriously think that AT&T, Verizon or Sprint are world class organizations?

Losing Legere is a loss to the nation as much or more than it is to T-Mobile / Sprint.
    anantksundaramllama
  • Reply 8 of 19
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    The beginning of TMobile becoming just another greedy cellular provider.  Too bad.
    dysamoriakudullamabadsector
  • Reply 9 of 19
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    I think the McAfee guy has room in his compound down in Belize. Room for Musk too. 
    StrangeDaysbadmonk
  • Reply 10 of 19
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Why is this surprising? He made T-Mobile unlike the others. Why would he be kept on once T-Mobile was merged into one of the others?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    T-Mobile has been the only U.S. carrier capable of going head to head with other world telecoms -- including China's.
    T-Mobile is a GERMAN company brand of Deutsche Telekom AG.

T-Mobile US is the American subsidiary carrier whose ownership is: 43% Deutsche Telekom, 24% SoftBank Group (the Japanese parent company of Sprint) and about 33% publicly held shares.

Legere was an effective CEO who increased TMUS shareholder value during his tenure. However, he had bosses and his bosses have bosses who aren't American.
    edited April 2020 dewmebloggerblogforgot usernamerazorpitfastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mpantone said:
    T-Mobile is a GERMAN company brand of Deutsche Telekom AG.

T-Mobile US is the American subsidiary carrier whose ownership is: 43% Deutsche Telekom, 24% SoftBank Group (the Japanese parent company of Sprint) and about 33% publicly held shares.

Legere was an effective CEO who increased TMUS shareholder value during his tenure. However, he had bosses and his bosses have bosses who aren't American.

We should maybe ask for more like that.   They did a hell of a lot better job for America than the strictly American companies did.

bloggerbloganantksundaram
  • Reply 13 of 19
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    AT&T is a mess and CEO just "retired". Hmm. Interesting timing - could he wind up there?
    forgot username
  • Reply 14 of 19
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    Perhaps Apple can hire him and then come up with a new service / product that he can lead.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    How’s that?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    John Legere CEO
    Dish Mobile?
    Leading starlink? 
    GeorgeBMacanantksundaramrazorpitllama
  • Reply 17 of 19
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    One heck of a great CEO. He can work wherever he wants. 
  • Reply 18 of 19
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    I love John Legere wherever he goes he’ll do well, best of wishes to him! 
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Fatman said:
    When you leave a board, its typically to avoid a conflict of interest. He will show up at another telecom or tech company soon. I don’t think he’s a fit for Apple. He’ll more likely show up at a SpaceX/Tesla or well-backed startup to head a new (satellite?) communications effort... My own speculation.
    He’s going to AT&T. Not a coincidence that, the same day Legere leaves the board, Stephenson (AT&T CEO) steps down unexpectedly. Wait and see.