Pearl Jam's 'Gigaton Visual Experience' debuts as Apple TV exclusive

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Alternative rock band Pearl Jam is releasing a new album-length 4K video for their recent "Gigaton" album on the Apple TV platform.

Credit: Danny Clinch
Credit: Danny Clinch

Like many other artists across the globe, Pearl Jam had to postpone a global tour for "Gigaton" due to the new coronavirus. The so-called "Gigaton Visual Experience" was also slated to roll out across theaters -- something that is also impossible due to current conditions.

Because of current circumstances, the American rock band will now debut a visual music experience on the Apple TV and the TV app on Apple's other platforms. The "Gigaton Visual Experience" will be free to view for seven days before becoming available to purchase or rent.

The music video project will "bring the album alive through immersive audio and ultra-vivid picture quality," the band said. Gigaton's producer, Josh Evans, added that it'll be "a unique way to experience this album."

To kick off the event, "Gigaton" producer Josh Evans and Joel Edwards from Evolve Studios will host a live Q&A session on Pearl Jam's Instagram account on Friday, April 24 at 4:30 p.m. Pacific. A watch party will follow at 5 p.m.

"Gigaton" was released on March 27.

Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder also recently played a track from the album during the "One World: Together at Home" concert, which streamed on Apple's platforms along with a variety of other services. Apple donated to the COVID-19 relief effort.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Who is Pearl Jam?  

—Everyone under 40
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Yes!  I had tickets to this before the world shut down...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Who are these guys?

Pearl jam is not funny!!

-Apple haters
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Love the band and the new music but hard to think that anyone would actually pay for this video. It is like watching the human version of DogTV. Fake 3Dish images with a red line bouncing to the audio and some animation. Maybe on giant screens in a live setting it would work better? Hope to catch them live. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    sdw2001 said:
    Who is Pearl Jam?  

—Everyone under 40
    Remembered, recalled, interesting to anyone who cares for creative music.  Pop, classical, jazz, all have periodic differences.  Some more valuable than others.

Of course, I'm aware plenty of folks are happy with something other than American live TV in their ears.  Which is why most of the current period in American pop is forgettable.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    samrodsamrod Posts: 60unconfirmed, member
    Alternative rock band? I've loved Pearl Jam since the very start and never considered it "alternative" rock. It was part of the grunge movement, but at this point, it's pretty much rock.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    samrod said:
    Alternative rock band? I've loved Pearl Jam since the very start and never considered it "alternative" rock. It was part of the grunge movement, but at this point, it's pretty much rock.
    Please. Those genres are and have always been interchangeable in many cases and are both used to refer to their music (both are listed as genres on their Wikipedia page). It certainly was the case back when they started, and still is now.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    sdw2001 said:
    Who is Pearl Jam?  

—Everyone under 40
    I was wondering how they can still be considered Alternative but there it is.