Apple Card outage stopping customers from paying bills [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
An Apple Pay outage on Saturday is affecting a number of users of Apple Card, preventing some from being able to pay their bill or perform other functions, with Apple working to fix the issue.

According to the Apple System Status page, an issue was raised for Apple Pay, the company's mobile payments platform, directly affecting customers of Apple Card. The issue, which is listed as commencing at 1:45pm BST (8:45am Eastern) has affected "some users" of the service, stopping them from conducting a number of important tasks surrounding the card.

The status page update, spotted by 9to5Mac, explains some users "may not be able to pay their Apple Card bill." Other affected features include the ability to lock and unlock their physical card, being able to request a new or replacement physical card, or to request a new card number.

It is unclear how long it will take for Apple to fix the problem, nor exactly how many people are affected. It also doesn't seem to have impacted other Apple Pay users, with the problem restricted to just Apple Card functions.

Given the usual timescales for downtime events, it is probable Apple will fix the issue within a few hours of being raised.

Update: An update at 5:11pm BST (12:11pm Eastern) on the System Status page shows the issue was resolved.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    As long as you can still make purchases, the rest isn’t that big a deal besides being embarrassing for Apple.

I’m sure they’ll give affected users some leeway in making payments...
    lkruppqwerty52
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I don't mean to generalize and it's probably a short lived glitch in the case of the card, but I tend to trust Apple's services less and less. iCloud is very messy for me with erratic syncing (drive, photos), needing several sign ins and outs on numerous devices; Music is crappy comparing with, say, Spotify, borderline offensive in recommendations and discovery; TV+ is mostly dull with original content seemingly committee based (more so than the competitors), like "let's be edgy, but at all cost inclusive and not offensive". The hardware is mostly still well behaved, so I'm still all in on that front, but I am actively eyeing the alternatives for the first time in several years, just to have a quick backup option. I now a have a second (Android) phone and am using duplicate services (contacts, calendar, notes, photos etc.). And for work, learning the alternative options that work on Windows (Premiere vs. Final Cut, Ableton vs. Logic). I love the idea of tight integration, Apple style, and until very recently I was exclusively Apple-everything. But lately I've been feeling uneasy with that approach. Always have a backup plan and a redundant second everything (romantic partners not strictly implied in that scheme).
    elijahgmike54anantksundaramcrowleyspice-boyCarnagechemengin1KITAtyler82
  • Reply 3 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I don't mean to generalize and it's probably a short lived glitch in the case of the card, but I tend to trust Apple's services less and less. iCloud is very messy for me with erratic syncing (drive, photos), needing several sign ins and outs on numerous devices; Music is crappy comparing with, say, Spotify, borderline offensive in recommendations and discovery; TV+ is mostly dull with original content seemingly committee based (more so than the competitors), like "let's be edgy, but at all cost inclusive and not offensive". The hardware is mostly still well behaved, so I'm still all in on that front, but I am actively eyeing the alternatives for the first time in several years, just to have a quick backup option. I now a have a second (Android) phone and am using duplicate services (contacts, calendar, notes, photos etc.). And for work, learning the alternative options that work on Windows (Premiere vs. Final Cut, Ableton vs. Logic). I love the idea of tight integration, Apple style, and until very recently I was exclusively Apple-everything. But lately I've been feeling uneasy with that approach. Always have a backup plan and a redundant second everything (romantic partners not strictly implied in that scheme).
    Hmm...iCloud works perfectly fine for me. Go figure!
    zeus423StrangeDaysflyingdpqwerty52genovellepscooter63mike1
  • Reply 4 of 21
    macxpress said:
    Perhaps not being a troll has a direct correlation with how well iCloud works? 
    MacProzeus423lkruppStrangeDaysRayz2016macxpressgenovellembenz1962
  • Reply 5 of 21
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    iCloud works great for me.  Maybe you should pull out your phone and ask Bixby to recommend a service for you.
    zeus423StrangeDaysqwerty52pscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 21
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    ajl said:
    Apple Card exclusive customers are given exclusive issue – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209218
    What are you saying? "Exclusive" means that you have enough-good credit rating to get an Apple Card? You evidently don't have one.

mike1
  • Reply 7 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Nope. Not experiencing any of the show stoppers you claim. And the rest of your screed is merely opinion. Oh, and yes, You DO mean to generalize. You just did.
    qwerty52pscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I couldn’t disagree with more of what you said. Just added a couple new Apple TV+ series to our list, after enjoying many of them already. We readily chose Apple Music over Spotify. No problems with iCloud syncing. 

If you’re suggesting other tech services don’t experience outages, could you provide a link of evidence?
    qwerty52pscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 21
    As long as you can still make purchases, the rest isn’t that big a deal besides being embarrassing for Apple.

I’m sure they’ll give affected users some leeway in making payments...
    I tried to use it four times in the past 24 hours, all in places where I regularly pay via AC using the Watch. 

Three of those were ‘Denied’ (so I switched it to Amex which worked), and one went through. It seems like there was an issue. 
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I couldn’t disagree with more of what you said. Just added a couple new Apple TV+ series to our list, after enjoying many of them already. We readily chose Apple Music over Spotify. No problems with iCloud syncing. 

If you’re suggesting other tech services don’t experience outages, could you provide a link of evidence?
    Oh, all the services experience outage, I'm just trying to get the eggs out of one basket and at least have everything duplicate. Apple / iCloud as main (since I do use two iPhones, two Macs and an iPad) and a combination of Google / Microsoft as a backup.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    roake said:

iCloud works great for me.  Maybe you should pull out your phone and ask Bixby to recommend a service for you.
    I might ask Google assistant since it is quite a bit brighter than Siri, my other big sorrow with Apple... I am quite a fanboy, owning two iPhones, two Macs, an iPad, a Watch, everything newer than two years. But you people blow me out of the water with your fanaticism ;)
    flyingdppscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 21
    roake said:

I might ask Google assistant since it is quite a bit brighter than Siri, my other big sorrow with Apple... I am quite a fanboy, owning two iPhones, two Macs, an iPad, a Watch, everything newer than two years. But you people blow me out of the water with your fanaticism ;)
    Ehh not really. You just came in with a bunch of subjective opinions about TV and music, and claims about iCloud not working which don’t jive with many of the frequent users in this forum. That you feel people who are satisfied customers after years and decades of heavy use and aren’t opposed to saying so are fanatics...is more about you than anything, really. 

Sorry things aren’t working for you. 

Also, none of the so-called digital assistants are much better than each other. Outside of mundane use cases, they all stink about the same. 
    edited April 2020 qwerty52
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well, in the interest of a redundant second, make sure your romantic partner comes with a spare foot pump. 
    edited April 2020 pscooter63roundaboutnowmike1
  • Reply 14 of 21
    StrangeDays said:

Ehh not really. You just came in with a bunch of subjective opinions about TV and music, and claims about iCloud not working which don’t jive with many of the frequent users in this forum. That you feel people who are satisfied customers after years and decades of heavy use and aren’t opposed to saying so are fanatics...is more about you than anything, really.

Also, none of the so-called digital assistants are much better than each other. Outside of mundane use cases, they all stink about the same.
    My opinion WAS subjective, that's why I started with not wanting to generalize and that the problems and gripes were applying in MY case. My statement was not blasting anyone else, but was presented as a lament and a warning if you will.

I've been an Apple devotee since my first Mac, a IIci bought in 1990. So speaking of decades of heavy use, I have 3 under my belt (both personal and work). But even I was taken aback with most of the reactions on this thread, even though I've been on the fandom end many times :) The sarcasm of bringing up Bixby and such was SO lame, and I speak sarcasm as a second language, so I am entitled to say so. :wink: 

It's totally OK for people to express their satisfaction with everything that works fine, but they mustn't take the warning as a personal attack on their preferences, rather have to be aware that having a plan B at all times is a must — Apple is overall still better than other options, but definitely not infalible.
    KITA
  • Reply 15 of 21
    StrangeDays said:

My opinion WAS subjective, that's why I started with not wanting to generalize and that the problems and gripes were applying in MY case. My statement was not blasting anyone else, but was presented as a lament and a warning if you will.

I've been an Apple devotee since my first Mac, a IIci bought in 1990. So speaking of decades of heavy use, I have 3 under my belt (both personal and work). But even I was taken aback with most of the reactions on this thread, even though I've been on the fandom end many times :) The sarcasm of bringing up Bixby and such was SO lame, and I speak sarcasm as a second language, so I am entitled to say so. :wink: 

It's totally OK for people to express their satisfaction with everything that works fine, but they mustn't take the warning as a personal attack on their preferences, rather have to be aware that having a plan B at all times is a must — Apple is overall still better than other options, but definitely not infalible.
    I think you’ve missed the point. You came in spraying subjective opinion TV shows and music, including unfounded claims that there is nothing “offensive” in their programming so it must be poor (ignoring that See is PACKED with disturbing violence — have you even bothered to watch it?), and then some extreme bullshit about diversity — because women and minorities don’t exist in real life, why should they be in TV? — blah blah...just complete drivel. You naturally get pushback on it, to which you respond back with the charge of “fanaticism”. And now you’re taking the high road?

Nah.
    spice-boy
  • Reply 16 of 21
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    lkrupp said:
    Nope. Not experiencing any of the show stoppers you claim. And the rest of your screed is merely opinion. Oh, and yes, You DO mean to generalize. You just did.
    complaining about someone else's opinion while giving your own not based on any real information is so ironic, keep it up. 
    MplsPKITA
  • Reply 17 of 21
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

macxpress said:
    Great iCloud works great for you, so if someone is experiencing problems they are either imagining it or are attacking Apple?
    KITAgatorguy
  • Reply 18 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    spice-boy said:

macxpress said:
    Great iCloud works great for you, so if someone is experiencing problems they are either imagining it or are attacking Apple?

Posting your issues on an Apple News forum won't accomplish anything. They clearly had a plan when posting and it wasn't to get iCloud fixed. It was simply to shit all over Apple and its products/services.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    spice-boy said:
    lkrupp said:
    complaining about someone else's opinion while giving your own not based on any real information is so ironic, keep it up. 
    Uh, you do realize you yourself are complaining about someone else's opinion not based on any "real information" either, right? Your deep into Inception, man.
  • Reply 20 of 21

spice-boy said:

macxpress said:
    No one said he was "attacking Apple!"...they said he threw down a bunch of manure onto the floor and go surprised when people said it was manure. On the floor.

You seem to be concerned with social issues, surprised this bit from his nonsense didn't bother you:

"let's be edgy, but at all cost inclusive and not offensive"

...just another doorknob claim that diversity in content programming is somehow weak and indicative of poor storytelling -- patently false. There is no problem with women and minorities starring in television.