HBO Max will have iPhone, iPad, & Apple TV apps at launch

Posted:
in iOS
HBO Max will be available to view on all Apple devices from launch, with the video streaming service set to work on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and fourth-generation Apple TV devices from May 27, with Apple also providing extra assistance to help existing HBO subscribers and HBO Now users.

Sesame Street's Elmo, host of HBO Max's 'The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo'
Sesame Street's Elmo, host of HBO Max's 'The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo'

The inbound replacement for HBO Now, HBO Max will be maximizing its reach to potential customers by being compatible with Apple's iOS and iPadOS mobile devices and set-top boxes from the outset. In a Monday report about the launch on Apple's ecosystem, a "coopetition" arrangement between Apple and WarnerMedia also means it will be unusually easier for existing HBO customers to migrate to the app.

First reported by Variety, current HBO Now customers billed through the App Store, as well as HBO users who subscribed via Apple TV Channels, will be automatically upgraded to HBO Max without paying any extra fees. New customers who want to subscribe to HBO Max will be able to do so via an in-app purchase, priced at $14.99 per month.

As well as apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, a native app will also be available to install for the fourth-generation Apple TV models, including the Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K. Owners of second-generation and third-generation Apple TV models will still be able to view HBO Max content, using AirPlay.

At launch, HBO Max will offer subscribers over ten thousand hours of content from an extensive 100-year-old library owned by WarnerMedia. As with other video streaming services like Apple TV , ibraries of major shows including "Friends," The Big Bang Theory," and "Sesame Street" will be augmented by a roster of original programming, which will grow over time.

Original shows on the way include new Looney Tunes cartoons, Anna Kendrick's "Love Life," YouTuber LaurDIY's "Craftopia," and the "Not Too Late Show with Elmo."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Does anyone know if HBO Max will allow me to watch Real Time With Bill Maher in real time, i.e. Friday night as opposed to having to wait until Saturday morning?

• Reply 2 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Keep in mind that this is AT&T so watch out for the gotcha’s like taxes and fees on top of the subscription. They’re really good at hiding stuff like that... until the first bill arrives.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 3 of 11
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Have they committed to matching the 4K, HDR, and audio aspects of other services yet? HBO's current streaming standards are pretty outdated.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    HBO Mac's website didn't include any information about whether I could watch HBO on my iMac. They included a very long page on privacy, https://www.hbomax.com/privacy/, and a Do No Sell My Personal Information link at the bottom of the page but it only works for customers in California. I guess California is the only state trying to force companies to respect customer privacy. Makes you wonder about the other 49. HBO/WarnerMedia collects a ton of personal information and of course uses it to spam you with tons of ads. 

As for AppleTV in-app purchases, will I be able to use my Apple Pay account so HBO doesn't get my real information? They demand my address and email address, which they really have no reason to collect as long as I pay them for their service.

lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    "Sesame Street's Elmo, host of HBO Max's 'The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo'"

Ok that's funny.

Anyways, I'm waiting for the next HBO streaming service: HBO Max Go.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Does anyone know if HBO Max will allow me to watch Real Time With Bill Maher in real time, i.e. Friday night as opposed to having to wait until Saturday morning?

I know HBOGO has hbo  shows as soon as thier air on HBO so if Max did the same you should be good to go 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    robertsm said:

I know HBOGO has hbo  shows as soon as thier air on HBO so if Max did the same you should be good to go 
    It’s a little different with Real Time. It’s a live show rather than a produced episode, so there is a delay in getting it into an episode for watching later. You either have to watch it live from the app/channel, or wait until Saturday. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Sounds like no Apple TV channel yet. This is preferred by me because I share it with my family members and we can watch on our various personal devices. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    I don't get it. Why are they not just augmenting the HBO Now service with the additional content? What's the point of all this rebranding?
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 10 of 11
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member
    Sounds like no Apple TV channel yet. This is preferred by me because I share it with my family members and we can watch on our various personal devices. 
    I am watching HBO Now via an Apple TV channel. I did it this way rather than subscribe directly to HBO so I could continue to stream on the Apple TV app on an TV-3. If they shut off that channel for Max I wonder if they will do the same for subscribing via Hulu and Prime Video?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    You should be able to watch it live. I watch it live @ 7pm PST (Fridays) on the HBOGO app on my ATV.