Germany changes stance on Apple-Google contact tracing project

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,581member
    gatorguy said:
    cropr said:

The difference between corporations spying on you and governments doing it is that a corporation can’t (yet) send armed mercenaries to your door at 3:00 AM.

What a distorted view on the reality in most democratic countries. The chance that my government would be doing something like that is 0 percent, and the people would vote the government out of office at the next election.    The chance that a, possible foreign, company would abuse the data is much higher (just think of Facebook) and if this happens, I cannot do anything about it.
    Tell that to this guy:

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/30/774788611/police-owe-nothing-to-man-whose-home-they-blew-up-appeals-court-says

Of course, the country in which I live only claims to support liberty.  In reality, we've been trending fascist since WW II.
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/freest-countries/
    The Cato Institute, that great Koch Industries libertarian think tank in the sky. No biases there..

Strange that Russia isn't penalized more on their list, considering recent clamp-downs on free speech, like banning criticism of the government online. Oops.
    Didn't notice the root source. Thanks. Doesn't mean of course the data is then inherently flawed, massaged, or heavily biased, but that should be a consideration. 
  • Reply 22 of 27
    chaicka said:
    Singapore launched 'TraceTogether' app on 20th March, ....

Singapore? ‘TraceTogether’ app?

’Nuff said.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

cropr said:

The difference between corporations spying on you and governments doing it is that a corporation can’t (yet) send armed mercenaries to your door at 3:00 AM.

What a distorted view on the reality in most democratic countries. The chance that my government would be doing something like that is 0 percent, and the people would vote the government out of office at the next election.    The chance that a, possible foreign, company would abuse the data is much higher (just think of Facebook) and if this happens, I cannot do anything about it.
    Tell that to this guy:

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/30/774788611/police-owe-nothing-to-man-whose-home-they-blew-up-appeals-court-says

Of course, the country in which I live only claims to support liberty.  In reality, we've been trending fascist since WW II.
    An atrocious event. They ruined his house over what began as the theft of a belt and two shirts. Clearly, the police/state has too much power via policy in that district. Unfortunately it is conservative courts that typically side with law enforcement over the citizenry. This needs to change; the state absolutely should have financial responsibility for damages they inflict in the name of the job. Without any checks or balances for accountability, they could bulldoze over anything in the name of getting the job done.

However, the good news is, in our country we have a court system that goes up to the SCOTUS, and there are opportunities for them to correct bad policy. 

Theoretically...   But, now that the Supreme Court has become as politicized as congress, it no longer serves the people or our democracy.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    gatorguy said:
    cropr said:

Tell that to this guy:

I'd like to see how they rate "economic freedom."  When one cannot operate a business without government permission, I don't see how that counts as "freedom".
  • Reply 25 of 27
    gatorguy said:
    cropr said:

Tell that to this guy:

I'd like to see how they rate "economic freedom."  When one cannot operate a business without government permission, I don't see how that counts as "freedom".
    What country are you referring to?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    dewme said:
    chaicka said:
    Singapore launched 'TraceTogether' app on 20th March, which tend open-sourced it to become the BlueTrace protocol released to the world to use and contribute to improve it. Australia has just recently released a COVID-19 tracing app which is developed based on BlueTrace protocol with its own modifications.

It is interesting to see many countries/nations adopting the similar model of contact tracing, even Apple-Google's API seems to be similar on the model where contact data stays on the users' devices until permitted by users' to upload/share with health authorities.

The Singapore tracing app sounds intriguing but isn't it a centralized system when its deployed, which Apple/Google (and now Germany) are specifically advocating against using? I have no doubt that Singapore has the technical chops to develop and deploy this kind of app, but from having spent quite a bit of time in Singapore I feel that its residents are probably more trusting of their government leaders than are people in other parts of the world like the US, and for good reason I might add. I guess we'll find out soon whether these apps help solve the problem. I'd personally have no problem using Apple's app, but I respect other people's right to decide for themselves whether they feel the benefit outweighs the risk, or vice versa. 
    The app is not a centralised system and stays on the device. I think you may be confused with the other contact tracing systems deployed (not app based on users' devices). Those early contact tracing systems/methodologies use combination of data - manual and automated during the Jan-Feb and still continuing. The app is an additional complimenting so if a person gets confirmation of infection by tests, he/she can choose to upload the data on his/her device via a '2FA-like' code to be key in before upload happens. Is this not the same as Apple-Google's API approach?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    chaicka said:
    dewme said:
    chaicka said:
    Singapore launched 'TraceTogether' app on 20th March, which tend open-sourced it to become the BlueTrace protocol released to the world to use and contribute to improve it. Australia has just recently released a COVID-19 tracing app which is developed based on BlueTrace protocol with its own modifications.

It is interesting to see many countries/nations adopting the similar model of contact tracing, even Apple-Google's API seems to be similar on the model where contact data stays on the users' devices until permitted by users' to upload/share with health authorities.

The Singapore tracing app sounds intriguing but isn't it a centralized system when its deployed, which Apple/Google (and now Germany) are specifically advocating against using? I have no doubt that Singapore has the technical chops to develop and deploy this kind of app, but from having spent quite a bit of time in Singapore I feel that its residents are probably more trusting of their government leaders than are people in other parts of the world like the US, and for good reason I might add. I guess we'll find out soon whether these apps help solve the problem. I'd personally have no problem using Apple's app, but I respect other people's right to decide for themselves whether they feel the benefit outweighs the risk, or vice versa. 
    The app is not a centralised system and stays on the device. I think you may be confused with the other contact tracing systems deployed (not app based on users' devices). Those early contact tracing systems/methodologies use combination of data - manual and automated during the Jan-Feb and still continuing. The app is an additional complimenting so if a person gets confirmation of infection by tests, he/she can choose to upload the data on his/her device via a '2FA-like' code to be key in before upload happens. Is this not the same as Apple-Google's API approach?
    Nope.
    Singapore's TraceTogether tracking methodology requires all participants share their contact information in a centralized government database. When someone comes down with the virus and is certified infected the government will then look up who might have been exposed and contacts those people directly via phone numbers or email.

The Apple/Google design does none of those things. Your own phone determines if one of the verified infection codes it receives each day include any of those from a close and extended contact your phone anonymously made. There is no central database, private or government, noting which identifiable and infected people (phone number and/ or email) you have been in contact with. 

So with Apple Google the government would have no record of who you have been in close contact with, yet still be capable of letting you the owner of that phone know that an infectious person has crossed paths with you, long enough to possibly infect you too. The government won't be contacting you, unless of course you tell them to. Your own phone containing all the data needed will advise you. For example,  Australia's implementation of TraceTogether (Singapore) requires users to enter their full name, age range, and postcode. Then after completing that step your mobile phone number is mandatory so that you can receive a PIN.

None of that is required for the Apple Google design. It doesn’t share any data with the authorities that they don’t already have, specifically who has tested positive for the virus.

I think I have that all correct, but if not please do let us know.
    edited April 2020