Apple to pay $18M to settle dispute over FaceTime fiasco

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:

Sad that people feel compelled to spin this as "Apple did this on purpose!". They never intentionally broke something to force upgrades. That wasn't their motivation. They didn't sit around a table brainstorming "hey, how can we force our customers to upgrade to iOS 7?".... "hmm, what if we disabled FaceTime on iOS 6?".... "oh! Good idea!".

That's nonsense, yet that's exactly how these silly lawsuits are portrayed.

Maybe not, but they still broke functionality and didn’t offer a solution that was palatable. Intentional or not, I think they dropped the ball in this instance.

The outcome of $3 each and the lawyers being the real winners is a bit rubbish, but that’s a problem with the system, and doesn’t detract from the merits of the case.
    Why was updating to iOS 7 not palatable?
    I believe part of the complaint was that iOS7 on an iPhone 4 was a significant step backwards in terms of performance and battery life from the later iOS6 updates.  I have recollection of that being widely reported too.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    kudukudu Posts: 44member
    It’s interesting to see who the lawyers are that receive those lawyer fees. Nice office digs, nice smirk
  • Reply 23 of 30
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    WOW! $3 EACH?! Totally worth it. /s

Remember when people got a free bumper for their iPhone 4 from Apple? Another eye-roller.
    Bumper? You mean an iPhone case? Yes. THAT was actually useful. It probably would’ve cost more than $3 at retail, too.

I’ve since replaced mine but my replacement now needs a replacement, and I doubt I’ll ever find the same case again, or another I can tolerate for an iPhone 4. 
  • Reply 24 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    dysamoria said:
    WOW! $3 EACH?! Totally worth it. /s

Remember when people got a free bumper for their iPhone 4 from Apple? Another eye-roller.
    Bumper? You mean an iPhone case? Yes. THAT was actually useful. It probably would’ve cost more than $3 at retail, too.

I’ve since replaced mine but my replacement now needs a replacement, and I doubt I’ll ever find the same case again, or another I can tolerate for an iPhone 4. 
    No, it was a bumper, not a case. 
    toysandme
  • Reply 25 of 30
    jbdragon said:
    I can't believe Apple lost this one. The COURT forced Apple to do what it did back then. Apple DID offer a Upgrade path, but people didn't want to upgrade their phones. Why is that Apple's fault?
    Because iOS 7 was/is a pile of garbage, especially on iPhone 4. 
  • Reply 26 of 30
    DAalseth said:
    Over the years I've been eligible to take part in several class action suits for this or that. I have never joined. Oh sometimes I felt the case was justified, but no. The one overriding factor, as is the case with this suit, is the members of the class get nothing. It is all a scam for lawyers to line their pockets. You can't even say it punishes the company or that they had to pay for their behaviour. They just pass the cost along. In the end it's us, the public, that pay for it. Literally the members of the class action suit end up paying for their own award.

So what's the f-ing point. 
    Wait, what? How are we paying for the lawsuit?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    dysamoria said:
    DAalseth said:
    Over the years I've been eligible to take part in several class action suits for this or that. I have never joined. Oh sometimes I felt the case was justified, but no. The one overriding factor, as is the case with this suit, is the members of the class get nothing. It is all a scam for lawyers to line their pockets. You can't even say it punishes the company or that they had to pay for their behaviour. They just pass the cost along. In the end it's us, the public, that pay for it. Literally the members of the class action suit end up paying for their own award.

So what's the f-ing point. 
    Wait, what? How are we paying for the lawsuit?
    Simple. Apple pays the $18mil to settle. They don't eat that loss, it gets figured into the cost of everything they sell. So if someone gets the $3, they will pay it back many times over down the road.
    macxpress
  • Reply 28 of 30
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Sad that people feel compelled to spin this as "Apple did this on purpose!". They never intentionally broke something to force upgrades. That wasn't their motivation. They didn't sit around a table brainstorming "hey, how can we force our customers to upgrade to iOS 7?".... "hmm, what if we disabled FaceTime on iOS 6?".... "oh! Good idea!".

That's nonsense, yet that's exactly how these silly lawsuits are portrayed.

Be very VERY careful what you put in company emails.  They last forever and there is no context.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    jbdragon said:
    I can't believe Apple lost this one. The COURT forced Apple to do what it did back then. Apple DID offer a Upgrade path, but people didn't want to upgrade their phones. Why is that Apple's fault? In the end, the only winners in this dumb Class Action is the Lawyers. That's really the only winners in any Class Action and I've been in a few myself over the years and from those, I haven't seen a Penny.
    Judge should have told them to whip out those phones and upgrade to iOS7 as it is stable now.  HAHA
  • Reply 30 of 30
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    MplsP said:
    Why was updating to iOS 7 not palatable?

Because it was a steaming piece of crap.

We're still suffering with the awful UI mess that first showed up in iOS 7. 

Every time I fire up an old iPhone or iPod Touch I'm amazed at how absolutely beautiful the UI is, and how much more obvious it is to use. 

iOS 7 was where Apple abandoned good design.  iOS 7 is where things got ugly. 

And of course it was one of the first cases where Apple released an OS that intentionally slowed down older hardware.