Siri gets improved voice in Germany

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
German users are reporting that Siri is suddenly sounding much more natural, especially on HomePod, following a long-promised update to iOS.

Craig Federighi in 2017, introducing improved Siri voices coming to all languages, including German
Craig Federighi in 2017, introducing improved Siri voices coming to all languages, including German

Apple's Siri has a distinctive, immediately recognizable voice -- but people in different countries know this technology by very different voices. Some default to a male Siri voice, some to a female, and all have different languages and accents. Now German-language users are reporting that the Siri voice they hear every day has been noticeably improved to sound more human and natural than before.

According to German site iphone-ticker.de, Siri has finally received an update that was actually promised back in 2017.

"Almost three years after Apple's software boss Craig Federighi announced during the launch of iOS 11 that the in-house voice assistant Siri would sound significantly more human in the future," says the site, "Apple now seems to delight German users with new Siri voices."

Federighi announced the update for all Siri voices, starting with the US one, during his presentation at WWDC 2017. "We're making a big upgrade to your primary interface in dealing with Siri, and that's Siri's voice," he said. "We've used deep learning now to create a really natural and expressive voice for Siri."

Readers of iphone-ticker.de say that the new Siri voice is more melodic, as well as natural, and that this is particularly noticeable on HomePods. However, there have been certain problems. Some readers are saying that since the update, "Siri always sounds like helium." Apple has yet to comment.

However, there are cases where Siri's voice will revert from the now human-sounding normal to a more robotic one, and this may be what's happening for these users. It happens when your iPhone or iPad is particularly low on space and the device offloads the richer Siri voice.

Keep up with all the Apple news with your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," -- or bookmark this link -- and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Perhaps it is worth considering showing the German flag (and not the Belgian one)...
    beowulfschmidtelijahgmbenz1962ajlpeteloblgutengelcaladanian
  • Reply 2 of 8
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Siri (in the UK) has started making weird popping noises on both my HomePods after an update that seemed to make the voice slightly softer. Quite often at the start or during the reply there’s several fairly loud pops. It’s weird. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Let's hope Siri is also upgraded to be less stupid in German. 

Stuff that works totally naturally in English has me banging my head on the steering wheel in German. 

"Hey Siri! Call Hansi's cellphone!" 

"I don't have a cellphone number for Hansi. Call landline or iPhone?"
    elijahgtobian
  • Reply 4 of 8
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member
    I wonder when we'll get the "neural text-to-speech" demoed for iOS 13 last summer and then forgotten by everyone it seems.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    joogabah said:
    I wonder when we'll get the "neural text-to-speech" demoed for iOS 13 last summer and then forgotten by everyone it seems.
    I think we already did get it? Maybe with iOS 13.1 or 13.2. Sounds pretty natural now apart from the weird pops and squeaks Siri seems to make for me.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    I just remembered that this „conversation“ (in German) actually continued:

Stuff that works totally naturally in English has me banging my head on the steering wheel in German. 

„Call the iPhone.“

„Call iPhone for which contact, Chris?“

„Call Hansi‘s iPhone!“ 

„Calling Hansi - iPhone...“

I’ve mostly given up using Siri for ANYTHING. 

• Reply 7 of 8
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    spheric said:
    Let's hope Siri is also upgraded to be less stupid in German. 

Similar headbanging here in neighbouring country.. I've been trying to adapt to english Siri by naming my czech contacts phonetically.. which should serve me well since my english pronounciation is excellent.. but it does not, because Siri's logic is very poor. Siri almost always calls somebody else when I repeat name + surname exactly how she pronounce (for some reason she usually picks up name, that sounds absolutely different). Okay, I can understand that she's not suited for such weird string of bytes, but it should be fine asking for name only - now comes the poor logic:

"Hey Siri, call Honza"  ("Chansa")

"Which Honza? Honza Kalousek ("Keyluzik"), Honza Major ("Meydzr"), or Honza Strnad? ("Stirned") "

""Meydzr""

"Calling Martina Ondraskova"

So instead of recognizing from those three offered, Siri picks from the whole addressbook - 1) the name instead of surname, that 2) sounds way different (again), just beggining with the same letter, 3) female instead of male.

And that's only one of many examples. I gave up on draining my iPhones battery just to ask for weather, or creating reminder, which she does well. Oh, and she excel at answering complaints, with various uplifting sentences.

sphericcaladanian
  • Reply 8 of 8
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    I really hope they improve Siri for the next iOS. I hate asking her to turn off all lights before going to be and the thing screaming at me "OK, all your lights have been turned off!"
    caladaniantobian