Apple Watch Series 6 may add anxiety monitoring and sleep tracking

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2020
A new leak claims that the Apple Watch Series 6 will add mental health features, longer battery life, and an expansion of existing sensors so the device can measure blood oxygenation.

Apple's current Series 5 Apple Watch
Apple's current Apple Watch Series 5

Apple's forthcoming update to the Apple Watch, presumed to be called the Series 6, is now rumored to include features to do with monitoring users for mental health issues, including anxiety. Twitter user Nikias Molina has no known previous track in Apple information, but has now details which have tersely confirmed by prolific leaker Jon Prosser.

EXCLUSIVE leaks about the upcoming #AppleWatch Series 6 features.

Sleep Tracking

Longer Battery Life

Pulse Oximeter

S6 Chip

Mental Health Abnormalities Detection

Stay tuned for more. pic.twitter.com/fN0j6xmOMA

-- Nikias Molina #BeHappy (@NikiasMolina)

Molina says that the Apple Watch Series 6 will contain a long-rumored sleep tracking, plus a previously unknown series of mental health abnormalities detection. These will be in part an extension of the current heart rate monitoring, and look for signs of unusual anxiety in users.

Asked about this plus Molina's claim that the Series 6 will feature longer battery life, a pulse oximeter, and run on an S6 chip, Jon Prosser tweeted "Yep!" with no more details. Molina claims he has more to follow at some unspecified time.

The Apple Watch, as it stands, has a heart rate sensor that has been used as a pulse oximeter in other medical-grade devices. The functionality is not enabled at this time, and would require FDA approval for use by consumers as a health monitoring device similar to what it had to get for the electrocardiogram technology.

The addition of sleep tracking to the Apple Watch in 2020 has been rumored before. Addition of sleep tracking would require more battery life, as most users presently charge the device at night. Alternatively, a low-powered implementation, and Apple shifting to some kind of faster Qi-related charging than it currently uses could only mandate a quick charge in the morning.

Such monitoring could be implemented as an extension of the existing Bedtime feature that was introduced in iOS 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Quite the leap with 'mental health abnormalities', perhaps this is in reference to stress response (which breathing exercises can help) or to blood oxygenation, which does have some correlation with stress and anxiety.
    cornchipprismaticswatto_cobracaladanianlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Beside cardio, can become the most important tool for the mental health. Apple go for.
    watto_cobracaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 38
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Longer battery life is really the best feature.
    svanstromcornchipHank2.0elijahg
  • Reply 4 of 38
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    IDK if anxiety monitoring is such a good idea. If you have anxiety, probably the last thing you need to be reminded of is that fact. It will most like just make you more anxious.
    mike1elijahgMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 5 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bageljoey said:

Overall, it looks like a solid update.  If I still have a job when it comes out, I’m on it!

It’s a RUMOR and it has nothing 'to do with’ reality.  B)

• Reply 6 of 38
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    Could this be required for all gun owners...? BAC for drivers to start their cars...?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 38
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    bageljoey said:
    Now for a comment that has to do with the topic at hand: I’m not sure what good extra battery life will do me. 
    You're not wearing it thru the night for sleep tracking now, are you? Besides, let's say you wear you watch at night for sleep tracking, get up, and put it on a charger while you take a quick morning shower. Better battery life means that it needed less power to get through the day and night, which means it's much more likely to be fully charged once again when you put it back on.
    edited May 2020 StrangeDayswatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 8 of 38
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    ElCapitan said:
    IDK if anxiety monitoring is such a good idea. If you have anxiety, probably the last thing you need to be reminded of is that fact. It will most like just make you more anxious.
    Most people with anxiety would probably disagree, as it is a great therapeutic feature to be able to catch that early; to try to control yourself. Take a breather, or weaker meds before you spiral into something that ruins the rest of the day and requires stronger meds.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobracaladanianlolliver
  • Reply 9 of 38
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I don't know ... "Mental Health Abnormalities Detection" absolutely sounds like a densely packed minefield that Apple would never want to jump into. Too many ways for things to go so wrong. I'm sure the lawyers are salivating at the income potential surrounding such a feature. 

File this one under "My Watch Thinks I'm Crazy."
    ElCapitanGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Could this be required for all gun owners...? BAC for drivers to start their cars...?
    Could it required for all NA gun owners to have to buy a mandatory Apple Watch, as well as replace all their weapons with ones that only work when they are meditating on a gun range and not under the stress of being chased by a knife welding robber? Or?
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 11 of 38
    dewme said:
    I don't know ... "Mental Health Abnormalities Detection" absolutely sounds like a densely packed minefield that Apple would never want to jump into. Too many ways for things to go so wrong. I'm sure the lawyers are salivating at the income potential surrounding such a feature. 

File this one under "My Watch Thinks I'm Crazy."
    Apple can’t easily provided diagnoses, but they can provide data from sensors; and they can, carefully, say that certain data/patterns are indicative of certain things.

So you’ll never get a “you’re batshit crazy again, Susan”-notification; but you might get a “sensor X shows a change from your preferred baseline, would you like to open your meditation app?” 
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 12 of 38
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    lkrupp said:
    bageljoey said:

Overall, it looks like a solid update.  If I still have a job when it comes out, I’m on it!

It’s a RUMOR and it has nothing 'to do with’ reality.  B)
    I understand it’s a rumor. And I understand you were working another “to do with” into the thread.  But surely you aren’t implying that rumors are never right?   I think there is a very good chance that pulse ox, sleep tracking and longer battery life will have everything to do with the coming update, rumor or no.
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 13 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Beats said:
    Not so much for me. Battery life improvements must be in whole-day increments to be useful. Currently, I charge my S4 every other night. Unless the improved battery life lets me shift to every third night, it really doesn't matter. Personally, I would prefer to have a slightly thinner case and the same battery life.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 38
    majortom1981majortom1981 Posts: 310member
    The latest Samsung watches does stress and pulse ox(the older ones have the sensor but will be enabled at a later date). This is apple trying to have at least all the same features as the Samsung watches . I do know that the apple watches do things the Samsung ones don't but pulse ox is important especially after covid. 

Another good thing about adding pulse ox the watch will be able to do blood pressure as well by itself. 
  • Reply 15 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    svanstrom said:
    ElCapitan said:
    Most people with anxiety would probably disagree, as it is a great therapeutic feature to be able to catch that early; to try to control yourself. Take a breather, or weaker meds before you spiral into something that ruins the rest of the day and requires stronger meds.
    Agree - part of the treatment of anxiety is recognition and use of cognitive techniques to self-calm attacks before they escalate.
    StrangeDayscaladanianlolliver
  • Reply 16 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

mike1 said:
    Beats said:
    Not so much for me. Battery life improvements must be in whole-day increments to be useful. Currently, I charge my S4 every other night. Unless the improved battery life lets me shift to every third night, it really doesn't matter. Personally, I would prefer to have a slightly thinner case and the same battery life.
    I have a series 3 and I can routinely get 36+ hours on a charge; I'm continually impressed with how much battery life Apple can get out of these devices. Even if the increased life doesn't give you another full day, it has effects as the device ages. Li battery life depends on the number of charge/discharge cycles. Having a longer battery life means fewer cycles and thus a longer useful device lifespan, a significant factor since the battery is not replaceable.

This wasn't in their original plan, but it turns out that pulse ox monitoring is important with COVID so having the functionality has an additional selling point in our current situation.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Joer293Joer293 Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    I've been using my Apple Watch's for sleep tracking every since version 0 (2 and 4). I charge during the shower and have no loss of battery life with sleep tracking on vs off.   

Sleep tracking apps use the built in always on motion feature of the watch, so they add negligible battery use to calculate sleep awake patterns of movement.
    svanstromStrangeDaysRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 38
    mike1 said:
    Beats said:
    I wear my watch at night, and the data I get from that is actually really good at telling me when I’m stressing too much during the day; so it’s good useful data, but it’s making charging the watch a bit awkward. And add a couple of tracked long walks, or music/phonecall without the phone nearby, and that battery is empty way before its “all day” capacity.

So any improvement in battery life would be welcome, as I could then focus more on when it’s convenient rather than a requirement to charge the watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Joer293Joer293 Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    O2 sensors are complimentary to heart rate. One of the most basic quantitative body awareness tools out there. The question I'd ask, why hasn't apple even applied for clearance? It's not the FDA, Apple doesn't even appear to have an application filed with them.
    caladanian
  • Reply 20 of 38
    ericmnelericmnel Posts: 1member
    Are there plans for blood sugar monitoring for diabetics?
    watto_cobra