Apple Watch Series 6 may add anxiety monitoring and sleep tracking

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    gerardgerard Posts: 83member
    I agree. Oxygen sensor is long overdue. Hopefully they can activate on the 5 with a software update. If not I will have to upgrade. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    svanstrom said:
    mike1 said:
    Beats said:
    Longer battery life is really the best feature.
    Not so much for me. Battery life improvements must be in whole-day increments to be useful. Currently, I charge my S4 every other night. Unless the improved battery life lets me shift to every third night, it really doesn't matter. Personally, I would prefer to have a slightly thinner case and the same battery life.
    I wear my watch at night, and the data I get from that is actually really good at telling me when I’m stressing too much during the day; so it’s good useful data, but it’s making charging the watch a bit awkward. And add a couple of tracked long walks, or music/phonecall without the phone nearby, and that battery is empty way before its “all day” capacity.

So any improvement in battery life would be welcome, as I could then focus more on when it’s convenient rather than a requirement to charge the watch.
    How old is your battery? I'm on a Series 4 currently, track a 2-hour workout during the day, and track sleep at nite, charge in the morning. I get all-day battery still. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

ericmnel said:
    Are there plans for blood sugar monitoring for diabetics?
    This has been discussed on forums frequently. Everyone of course wants this, but no one has cracked it yet.
    caladanianwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 24 of 38
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    svanstrom said:
    mike1 said:
    Beats said:
    Longer battery life is really the best feature.
    Not so much for me. Battery life improvements must be in whole-day increments to be useful. Currently, I charge my S4 every other night. Unless the improved battery life lets me shift to every third night, it really doesn't matter. Personally, I would prefer to have a slightly thinner case and the same battery life.
    I wear my watch at night, and the data I get from that is actually really good at telling me when I’m stressing too much during the day; so it’s good useful data, but it’s making charging the watch a bit awkward. And add a couple of tracked long walks, or music/phonecall without the phone nearby, and that battery is empty way before its “all day” capacity.

So any improvement in battery life would be welcome, as I could then focus more on when it’s convenient rather than a requirement to charge the watch.
    How old is your battery? I'm on a Series 4 currently, track a 2-hour workout during the day, and track sleep at nite, charge in the morning. I get all-day battery still. 
    It’s a last gen watch, so the battery is ok; but music and phone calls take a lot of power. 
    caladanian
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member

ericmnel said:
    Are there plans for blood sugar monitoring for diabetics?
    This has been discussed on forums frequently. Everyone of course wants this, but no one has cracked it yet.
    Non-invasive blood sugar measurement is the "Holy Grail" of medical technology. Such technology might eventually be developed to detect infectious diseases in the blood stream. Imagine a wearable device that gives you a heads-up to an on-coming flu, cold, coronavirus, etc. Or in a quarantine situation, proof of health/lack of infection.
    dewmecaladanianwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 26 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Joer293 said:
    O2 sensors are complimentary to heart rate. One of the most basic quantitative body awareness tools out there. The question I'd ask, why hasn't apple even applied for clearance? It's not the FDA, Apple doesn't even appear to have an application filed with them.

How would you even know? The ECG clearance was not public before the announcement.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Would be nice if the heart rate monitoring was a little more accurate during workouts. Just got back from a cycle to find the HR monitor was stuck at 130bpm the entire time. This seems to be a regular occurrence, it loses lock on my HR and and won't fix itself until I reboot the watch.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 28 of 38
    My Apple Watch unfailingly asks "Have you fallen? Are you allright?" every time I applaud at a concert or theatre. So I'm more than skeptical that the watch sensors can monitor "anxiety" in a meaningful way. I imagine any such notification would mainly seem inappropriate and therefore irritating. I also agree that redefining "anxiety" to match the capabilities of the watch is a public relations disaster in the making. I think Apple is smarter than that and that this feature is a baseless rumor.
    ElCapitan
  • Reply 29 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ElCapitan said:
    IDK if anxiety monitoring is such a good idea. If you have anxiety, probably the last thing you need to be reminded of is that fact. It will most like just make you more anxious.
    I worry about that too, oh wait ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    ElCapitan said:
    IDK if anxiety monitoring is such a good idea. If you have anxiety, probably the last thing you need to be reminded of is that fact. It will most like just make you more anxious.
    As someone who has used Apple Watch for a long while to help with anxiety issues, I can tell you definitively that it is worse than just not using it.

Anxiety is very real and has very real physical affects...but the best treatment I've found for it so far is take off the damn heart rate monitor and go do something else.

A handful of people have had their lives saved by Apple Watch detecting rare issues. Everyone else, myself included, is just a hypochondriac and needs to get over it.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 31 of 38
    prismaticsprismatics Posts: 164member
    Could this be required for all gun owners...? BAC for drivers to start their cars...?
    Ban guns, all problems solved. Guns serve no purpose in public places.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 32 of 38
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Personally, I'd like to see a choice of a new form factor, possibly an even bigger watch face, something more masculine or sporty. A ever so slightly larger watch allows for a larger battery, win, win.
    ElCapitanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 38
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    hmlongco said:
    bageljoey said:
    Now for a comment that has to do with the topic at hand: I’m not sure what good extra battery life will do me. 
    You're not wearing it thru the night for sleep tracking now, are you? Besides, let's say you wear you watch at night for sleep tracking, get up, and put it on a charger while you take a quick morning shower. Better battery life means that it needed less power to get through the day and night, which means it's much more likely to be fully charged once again when you put it back on.
    With sleep tracking and a longer battery life, the watch will also have to charge faster because people won’t have the patience they’d have when charging it overnight.
    it currently charges to 80% in 1.5 hours (“wired”), which is too slow.
    svanstrom
  • Reply 34 of 38
    ElCapitan said:
    As someone who has used Apple Watch for a long while to help with anxiety issues, I can tell you definitively that it is worse than just not using it.

Anxiety is very real and has very real physical affects...but the best treatment I've found for it so far is take off the damn heart rate monitor and go do something else.

A handful of people have had their lives saved by Apple Watch detecting rare issues. Everyone else, myself included, is just a hypochondriac and needs to get over it.
    Sooo… you just dismissed everyone with real diagnosed anxiety problems as just being hypochondriacs that need to “get over it”.

Would you perhaps care to rephrase that?

(You do know there’s a difference between people feeling normal anxiety and the debilitating stuff that ruins lives, right?)
  • Reply 35 of 38
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 53member
    My Apple Watch unfailingly asks "Have you fallen? Are you allright?" every time I applaud at a concert or theatre. So I'm more than skeptical that the watch sensors can monitor "anxiety" in a meaningful way. I imagine any such notification would mainly seem inappropriate and therefore irritating. I also agree that redefining "anxiety" to match the capabilities of the watch is a public relations disaster in the making. I think Apple is smarter than that and that this feature is a baseless rumor.
    I don't mean this in a sarcastic way but do you clap particularly hard or maybe think yours is faulty? I have fall detection on all the time and have only managed to have it ask me once when I was (probably quite 'exuberantly' as it was during a few beers in a pub) repeatedly demonstrating bracing for a fall when skiing. I have never been able to set it off when deliberately trying and have seen a lot of people fail to do the same on YouTube etc.
    svanstromwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 36 of 38
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    Where is that Corona Sensor? B)
    that would be a Game changer. 
  • Reply 37 of 38
    oberpongo said:
    Where is that Corona Sensor? B)
    that would be a Game changer. 
    Here you can read a bit about how you can detect the same symptoms as you might have when catching the Wuhan virus:
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/03/19/apple-watch-users-can-monitor-their-bodys-response-to-covid-19-flu-with-cardiogram-app  [*]

* "The team cautions that Sleeping BPM isn't intended to diagnose the flu or COVID-19, and shouldn't be used as a replacement for medical diagnostic tests and tools. There are also unrelated conditions or routine events that can cause an elevated heart rate."
  • Reply 38 of 38
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Come on guys! How about writing in English! "Twitter user Nikias Molina has no known previous track in Apple information, but has now details which have tersely confirmed by prolific leaker Jon Prosser" should be "Twitter user Nikias Molina has no known previous track in Apple information, but he has now posted details that have been confirmed, somewhat tersely, by prolific leaker Jon Prosser." Also "Alternatively, a low-powered implementation, and Apple shifting to some kind of faster Qi-related charging than it currently uses could only mandate a quick charge in the morning" should be something like "Alternatively, a low-powered implementation and faster, Qi-like charging could allow 24 hours of operation with just one quick charge each morning."