Refreshed 13-inch MacBook Pro may have 4TB storage option, 32GB memory

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple's rumored refresh of the 13-inch MacBook Pro could have more than just a larger display, with the suggestion that Apple may be increasing the storage capacity for the model from 2 terabytes to a 4-terabyte option, as well as more memory.

There is some speculation that Apple will be bringing out a refreshed 13-inch MacBook Pro in the near future, with some suggesting it could take place sometime in May. Current rumors largely focus on the display being upgraded to 14 inches, but it is thought Apple is testing other changes it could be including in the reworked model.

Twitter account @_rogame posted on Twitter on Wednesday that there is a new configuration of the 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro, equipped with a Core i7-1068NG7 quad-core processor clocked at 2.3GHz and a boost that could reach 4.1GHz. As part of the same tweet, spotted by iMore, the model is also being tested with 32 gigabytes of RAM and a 4-terabyte SSD.

The account previously claimed in February that Apple was trialling a model with the same processor and RAM, offering a supposed specifications list screenshot at the time. The processor in question is one from Intel's 10th-generation Ice Lake chip range, the same generation as used in the MacBook Air refresh from March.

New config tested (2020 13" Macbook Pro)
> i7-1068NG7 2.3GHz base 4.1GHz boost
> 32GB of RAM
> 4TB SSD https://t.co/XmLXiz5jFT

-- _rogame (@_rogame)

The RAM figure of 32 gigabytes would be an improvement from the existing upper limit of 16 gigabytes offered on the 13-inch model. It is plausible that Apple will offer higher memory capacities on the 13-inch model, as the 16-inch MacBook Pro is available with up to 64 gigabytes.

It is also similarly feasible for Apple to offer higher storage capacities for the model, higher than the 1TB maximum option currently available to purchase. Again, the 16-inch mode has 2TB, 4TB, and 8TB SSD options, so it seems probable the 13-inch model will follow with a similar storage range.

Other changes have been suggested for the model, including investor notes by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo speculating the use of a 14.1-inch Mini LED display, along with the use of the new scissor-switch keyboard mechanism.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    Alright. Now I think it's time to upgrade from my 2015 model. Wait. Wifi 6?
    edited May 2020 digitolwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 39
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    What I want to see are WIFI6, LRDDR4 RAM, and Face ID.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 39
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Just as with the transition of the larger model from 15" to 16", a rework of the cooling system would be possible and allow significantly improved performance especially under sustained load. If Apple moves to 14", hopefully the weight doesn't increase much though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 39
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Xed said:
    Hate to burst your bubble but you won't see FaceID.
    netroxchiadoozydozenMisterKitdewme
  • Reply 5 of 39
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    The 32GB of RAM is the most important spec for a “pro” device.
    canukstormvannygee
  • Reply 6 of 39
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    I would like 5G. Why offer (e)SIM on the iPad but not on a laptop?
    seanismorriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Xed said:
    Then continue to wait...and wait...and wait...forever if it so moves you.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 39
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Xed said:
    I doubt FaceID will ever come to MacBooks because in order to use FaceID requires dot projectors and the current implementation of dot projectors are too thick for an ultra thin display panels. It's actually astonishing that MacBooks have ultra thin profile camera sensors. I can see FaceID being implemented for iMacs though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 39
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    lkrupp said:
    Xed said:
    It’s long been my belief that Apple would wait until the ARM transition to include Face ID on the Macbook. But it seems like you think it will never happen and I’m just curious what Information you base your theory on. This is not a troll post, I’m seriously wondering what information I missed along the line. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 39
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Japhey said:
    lkrupp said:
    Xed said:
    It’s long been my belief that Apple would wait until the ARM transition to include Face ID on the Macbook. But it seems like you think it will never happen and I’m just curious what Information you base your theory on. This is not a troll post, I’m seriously wondering what information I missed along the line. 
    Apple historically introduces premium features on high-end models not entry-level devices.

If Face ID arrives on the Mac product line, it would debut on the flagship MacBook Pro 16" not an entry-level MacBook (whether it be Intel, AMD, ARM, whatever).

Faster Ethernet, faster WiFi, faster USB, Retina Display, Touch Bar, Touch ID, Thunderbolt, 4K support, 5K support, etc. have all debuted on high-end Mac notebooks.

I will bet you a buffalo nickel that the first Mac notebook to support 8K video will be a high-end model.

There is nothing technically that prevents Apple from debuting premium features on low end devices;  it is entirely a marketing decision.

Premium features debut on high-end products then trickle down. This is not behavior unique to Apple. Many other companies use the same strategy.
    edited May 2020 doozydozenpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 39
    lkrupp said:
    Xed said:
    How do you correlate my desire for something as an indication that I wouldn't accept other updates or a partial list of features being included before I update? I could understand if I said, "I'm not going to buy a new MacBook Pro until all these features are available." Do you see the difference?
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrachemengin1
  • Reply 12 of 39
    netrox said:
    Xed said:
    I doubt FaceID will ever come to MacBooks because in order to use FaceID requires dot projectors and the current implementation of dot projectors are too thick for an ultra thin display panels. It's actually astonishing that MacBooks have ultra thin profile camera sensors. I can see FaceID being implemented for iMacs though.
    That's my take on it, too, but I do think the tech will shrink enough within five years. I also have doubts about LPDRR4 RAM coming with the next Mac notebooks, but WIFI6 seems very possible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 39
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    It also needs an 8 Core/16 Thread APU in it, but that would mean dumping Intel because those specs on Intel would overheat the Macbook Pro 13.
    sailorpaulwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 39
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    Given how little Apple pays for DRAM, 32GB should be the standard minimum.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    For a while it was a specific hardware limitation in the i7 part Apple was using in the 13” that limited the max RAM.  I don’t know if that’s true with the current lineup or not. If Apple does go with the i7-1068NG7, its max supported RAM is up to 64GB. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 39
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    netrox said:
    Xed said:
    Why? I have Windows Hello on my work Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 laptop. Just put an Infra Red (IR) camera and you should be able to adapt FaceID for MacOSX. 

I am hoping to replace my personal 15" 2013 MacBook Pro with the new 14" MBP. Give me 32GB of RAM and 1-2TB of NVMe SSD. Please :smiley: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 39
    karmadave said:
    netrox said:
    Xed said:
    Why? I have Windows Hello on my work Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 laptop. Just put an Infra Red (IR) camera and you should be able to adapt FaceID for MacOSX. 

I am hoping to replace my personal 15" 2013 MacBook Pro with the new 14" MBP. Give me 32GB of RAM and 1-2TB of NVMe SSD. Please :smiley: 
    Your comment didn't take into account the thickness of the display lid or technology differences of Face ID over MS Hello. That isn't to say it's not possible for Apple to introduce Face ID into Mac notebooks, but the current Face ID found in their iPhones is far too large for their current lid thickness near the edge where it would presumably be placed.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 39
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Sounds very good. All it needs to be perfect would be decent pricing and at least one USB-A port.
    edited May 2020 AI_lias
  • Reply 19 of 39
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    For a while it was a specific hardware limitation in the i7 part Apple was using in the 13” that limited the max RAM.  I don’t know if that’s true with the current lineup or not. If Apple does go with the i7-1068NG7, its max supported RAM is up to 64GB. 
    Only 32 GB of LPDDR4 though. Still pretty good for the lower power RAM. More than 16 GB of LPDDR4 RAM has been a long time coming from Intel.
    canukstormPickUrPoisonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 39
    jellybellyjellybelly Posts: 111member
    I haven’t seen anyone mention the great convenience of wearing an Apple Watch to unlock your MacBook Pro. The Touch ID is also convenient in my opinion.

A downside besides thickness issue to face ID, is the angle of the lid and the distance of your face from the emitter of dots— that would be very annoying when it’s ‘fiddely’. 
    __ A handheld iPhone is usually easy to aim at your face without a thought— it becomes automatic. 
    __ A lid sitting on a desk is stationary and you have to angle the lid with a reach and adjust it or your head to get into field of dots. 

Btw- is the Dell Face ID solution as reliable as Apple Face ID? Can it be fooled by a 2D photo?
    watto_cobra