Apple releases new 2D15 firmware update for AirPods Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2020
On Tuesday afternoon, Apple issued a new firmware update, with a build number of 2D15, for its AirPods Pro wireless Bluetooth headphones.

The new firmware update comes nearly five months after the previous release.
The new firmware update comes nearly five months after the previous release.

It isn't clear what changes or features are included in the firmware update, though it may contain bug fixes or changes to active noise cancellation. The previous firmware release, 2C54, is said to have reduced noise cancellation quality for bass.

The 2D15 release is the third update to the AirPods Pro firmware, after the aforementioned 2C54 update and the previous 2B588 update, which was released in November 2019.

Apple eventually pulled the 2C54 update shortly after its release -- likely due to some type of unexpected behavior -- meaning that some AirPod Pro users were running the pulled software, while others remained on 2B588. Users will be able to update to the latest firmware no matter which version they're running.

There isn't a way to force update AirPods Pro manually. The new firmware should be automatically installed as long as they remain connected to an iOS device, and in the charging case.

AirPods Pro users can check the firmware version their headphones are running by heading to Settings and tapping on General, About and AirPods Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Looks like it could be good, but I think I’ll wait a few days before I upgrade. Just sayin’. . .
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 2 of 42
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    fred1 said:
    Looks like it could be good, but I think I’ll wait a few days before I upgrade. Just sayin’. . .
    Do you have a choice?
    caladaniansuperkloton
  • Reply 3 of 42
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    I had issues with the 2C54 update. Transparency Mic issues and sound quality issues when transparency and ANC were off, in the natural state. Transparency and ANC both produced very good bass response but as soon as I turn either off they immediately went to a very ‘tinny’ sound that was almost unbearable. The transparency Mic issues even caused the right earbud to become damaged to the point where certain sound frequencies would cause a horrible screeching feedback that hurt my ear. That was actually the 4th set of AirPod Pro’s I had to return to Apple due to quality control/sound quality issues. Seems odd as that was the one I used less while only using one as a Bluetooth earbud at work. I’m really hoping this update fixes these issues. Otherwise these are the most convenient earbuds I’ve found to work with all my Apple products, (I have a lot!!) I’ve tried so many others I can’t count and couldn’t begin to list them all. Thanks for the report.
    lkruppcaladanianmacgyvergohuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 42
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    fred1 said:
    AirPod updates are automatic.
    superkloton
  • Reply 5 of 42
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Although there is no official way to force an update this worked for me for this update (did it in a few minutes

How to Force an AirPods Firmware Update

If you find that a new version of the AirPods firmware is available, but not yet installed, you can try forcing your AirPods to update.

To do so, put your AirPods into their Charging Case, start charging the case, and place it near your iPhone. Next, open the cover and then dismiss the on-screen battery display.

Anilu_777
  • Reply 6 of 42
    pipserpipser Posts: 20member
    I was having a problem with drop outs while connected to my Mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro but a quick test of the new firmware a few minutes ago and the connection seems to be much better. Sound quality from my iPhone 11 seems to be a bit punchier as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 42
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    fred1 said:
    AirPod updates are automatic.
    I don’t think they happen unless you are charging. The case holds about 24 hours of charge. So until you run that out, you can probably prevent updating.

Plus right now, I trying to force an update but my iPods Pro is stubbornly sticking to 2C54. 
  • Reply 8 of 42
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This will be the first update to my AirPods Pro since I got them a few months ago.

I didn't know that updates are not manual and are mandatory.

It'll be interesting to see if I can notice any significant differences. I haven't had any issues with mine so far since I first got them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 42
    thanx_althanx_al Posts: 70member
    I am on 2C54 and I would oddly have one Pod at a low volume and another at a higher volume until adjusting. They could also be a pain to get to connect. 2D15 can't come soon enough for me. 
  • Reply 10 of 42
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    I still don’t like that you can’t initiate the update. 
    drice4444
  • Reply 11 of 42
    rikipediarikipedia Posts: 23member
    Here's the part that makes this article completely worthless and it's found in the first sentence: 
    It isn't clear what changes or features are included in the firmware update...
  • Reply 12 of 42
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    I still don’t like that you can’t initiate the update. 
    After seeing this article, I plugged in pods and phone. 15 minutes later, checked and pods were updated. (they were on 2C54 before plugging in)
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Appleinsider, please remember to cover (wireless) Powerbeats Pro as well. You offer a lot of coverage of AirPods, which is great, but neglects to mention the approach taken with Powerbeats Pro. This article may not be applicable, but the recent article on how to maximize volume, and others, just seem to forget about Powerbeats. It's Apple too!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 42
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    I can't seem to find the firmware version. Looking in Bluetooth settings I can't see it? Any help with find the firmware version please? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 42
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    laytech said:
    I can't seem to find the firmware version. Looking in Bluetooth settings I can't see it? Any help with find the firmware version please? 
    You need to have the Airpods in your ears or in the case and open to see it. If the screen comes up showing the you the charge level, dismiss it and go to Settings > General > About. Not Bluetooth settings.
    laytech
  • Reply 16 of 42
    thanx_al said:
    I am on 2C54 and I would oddly have one Pod at a low volume and another at a higher volume until adjusting. They could also be a pain to get to connect. 2D15 can't come soon enough for me. 
    Mine on 2C54 left pod can’t receive feed.... already 3 months can’t send for ‘service’ due to lockdown... hope 2D15 can cure the ‘disease’...
  • Reply 17 of 42
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    F_Kent_D said:
    I had issues with the 2C54 update. Transparency Mic issues and sound quality issues when transparency and ANC were off, in the natural state. Transparency and ANC both produced very good bass response but as soon as I turn either off they immediately went to a very ‘tinny’ sound that was almost unbearable. The transparency Mic issues even caused the right earbud to become damaged to the point where certain sound frequencies would cause a horrible screeching feedback that hurt my ear. That was actually the 4th set of AirPod Pro’s I had to return to Apple due to quality control/sound quality issues. Seems odd as that was the one I used less while only using one as a Bluetooth earbud at work. I’m really hoping this update fixes these issues. Otherwise these are the most convenient earbuds I’ve found to work with all my Apple products, (I have a lot!!) I’ve tried so many others I can’t count and couldn’t begin to list them all. Thanks for the report.
    I had very similar issues, and am now on my fourth pair, which, Thank God came with 2B588. I've personally found this to be the most accurate and effective so far. It's why I am going to wait at least a week or so to see what others make of the latest update. For those who wish to know how to prevent automatic updating of their current version, it's pretty simple and there are two ways. Either be sure to disconnect from your device(s) before plugging AirPods in to charge, or to save doing that, always charge the case separately when you happen to be using the AirPods, that way when it comes to placing them back in the case it will be fully charged. Just be sure to remove the case from charge prior to popping them away. - They will never update unless both in the case and on charge concurrently.

Hopefully someone from RTINGS.com will be kind and do yet another test so we know definitively what impact the latest update has on sound and ANC quality. 

@Laytech To find your current firmware and AirPods details, remove from case and make sure they're connected the device you have to hand, then go to settings, General, About and then scroll down to (Name of AirPods) and click on it. You will find all info listed. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    emoeller said:
    Although there is no official way to force an update this worked for me for this update (did it in a few minutes

How to Force an AirPods Firmware Update

If you find that a new version of the AirPods firmware is available, but not yet installed, you can try forcing your AirPods to update.

To do so, put your AirPods into their Charging Case, start charging the case, and place it near your iPhone. Next, open the cover and then dismiss the on-screen battery display.

That seemed to work.  Left them next to each other charging for 30 minutes, came back and the AirPods Pro were at the new firmware.  Let's see how they fly...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 42
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    thanx_al said:
    Mine on 2C54 left pod can’t receive feed.... already 3 months can’t send for ‘service’ due to lockdown... hope 2D15 can cure the ‘disease’...
    @thanx_al ;
    If you call apple you can arrange a DIY service all done through the post. It takes less than a week in total usually - a couple of days to receive replacement and a few more to process the refund. This is a service offered all the time for reference, and they offer similar service for iPhone and other goods also for anyone that is interested. They will send you the part you need and then when received, you return the original in the box provided. There is a fee which varies depending on parts required, but provided its a warranty issue and not damage then they refund the fee In full upon receipt of faulty goods. I've used the service many times and find it rather convenient when I can't or don't wish to make a journey to an Apple store.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 42
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Gaby said:
    F_Kent_D said:
    I had very similar issues, and am now on my fourth pair, which, Thank God came with 2B588. I've personally found this to be the most accurate and effective so far. It's why I am going to wait at least a week or so to see what others make of the latest update. For those who wish to know how to prevent automatic updating of their current version, it's pretty simple and there are two ways. Either be sure to disconnect from your device(s) before plugging AirPods in to charge, or to save doing that, always charge the case separately when you happen to be using the AirPods, that way when it comes to placing them back in the case it will be fully charged. Just be sure to remove the case from charge prior to popping them away. - They will never update unless both in the case and on charge concurrently.

Hopefully someone from RTINGS.com will be kind and do yet another test so we know definitively what impact the latest update has on sound and ANC quality. 

@Laytech To find your current firmware and AirPods details, remove from case and make sure they're connected the device you have to hand, then go to settings, General, About and then scroll down to (Name of AirPods) and click on it. You will find all info listed. Hope this helps.
    Neither the case or the iPhone need to be charging for the Airpods to update. Mine updated when the Airpods were in their case and the phone nearby, but neither charging.
    edited May 2020