Initial failures of Apple's butterfly keyboard doomed it from the start

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    I never owned a butterfly keyboard, but I wasn’t a fan of the times I tried one. Then again keyboards are highly personal. There are people who swear by loud mechanical keyboards, while others will swear by whatever keyboard they feel good with. 

Beyond the typing experience and the apparent failure rate, I feel that what hurt the most was the cost to fix the keyboard out of warranty. From what I understand, because of the way the keyboard was attached to the frame it made it very difficult to just fix the specific problem, without replacing the whole  upper frame. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 68
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    rain22 said:
    I think you missed the main point - $800 to fix a fleck of dust under a key. 
    It was a total 100% complete failure of industrial design. Nothing should ever be designed that way.
    It’s like designing a car that requires $23,000 to fix a flat tire because they connected it to the engine - and the tires go flat if they get a pebble in the tread. 
    We didn't miss the main point, and your analogy applies to the 2012 through 2015 as well. An upper case replacement on the 2012 through 2015 was $649.
    Mike, with all do respect, that's absurd. Individual keys on the "retina unibody" models could be replaced for $10 a pop, and that's where the vast majority of failures of any keyboard take place. PCBs can usually survive even moderate liquid damage as long as the computer gets shut down quickly.
    muthuk_vanalingam80s_Apple_Guykbee
  • Reply 23 of 68
    liketheskylikethesky Posts: 35member
    I work at a company with > 40-50k employees, where at least 90%+ have MacBook Pros, and the keyboard noise problem on the butterfly mechanism was a significant problem. Although I occasionally have seen issues with grit under keys (not good, but I never have had significant failures of the keyboard itself), the noise of typing on it still bugs the heck out of me and bothered legions of other users at my company as well. I love using my old external Bluetooth magic keyboards at home now instead of the laptop keyboard for this very reason.

So although you might say that users didn’t complain much about the noise, I think they did but perhaps it didn’t rise to the level of the complaints for the failure rates for the butterfly mechanisms. Anyway, I’m really glad to see this generation retired due to the keyboard typing noise issue.
    muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1pscooter63kbee
  • Reply 24 of 68
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Eric_WVGG said:
    rain22 said:
    It was a total 100% complete failure of industrial design. Nothing should ever be designed that way.
    It’s like designing a car that requires $23,000 to fix a flat tire because they connected it to the engine - and the tires go flat if they get a pebble in the tread. 
    We didn't miss the main point, and your analogy applies to the 2012 through 2015 as well. An upper case replacement on the 2012 through 2015 was $649.
    Mike, with all do respect, that's absurd. Individual keys on the "retina unibody" models could be replaced for $10 a pop, and that's where the vast majority of failures of any keyboard take place. PCBs can usually survive even moderate liquid damage as long as the computer gets shut down quickly.
    You and I are talking about different things, and I'm not sure where the PCB discussion comes in here. An upper case replacement does not include the motherboard.

Keycaps on the 2016-2019 can be replaced in similar fashion as well, and a previous commenter addressed this as well.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 25 of 68
    I grew up typing on an Olympia SG-3, making every computer keyboard a magical experience.

I might even have enjoyed a PCjr keyboard had I the chance.

edited May 2020 mike1pscooter63elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamurahara
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    rain22 said:
    You and I are talking about different things, and I'm not sure where the PCB discussion comes in here. An upper case replacement does not include the motherboard.

Keycaps on the 2016-2019 can be replaced in similar fashion as well, and a previous commenter addressed this as well.
    By "PCB" I meant the circuit board of keyboard itself. Alright, I'll try again…

Rain22's analogy is spot on. The failure of a single key resulting in an $800 replacement is bad design. I'm reminded of a possible urban legend about airbag misfires in expensive sports cars resulting in insurance companies calling the vehicles "totaled" because the airbags were so expensive. Whether that particular story is true or not, the point remains: bad design.

If you are stating that this applies to 2012-2015 models because they're also "welded" to the upper case, that's silly. The failure of a single key on a 2012-2015 model results in a $10 part, not a keyboard replacement. 

I personally replaced at least three or four keycaps on a 2016 model. It's not completely/literally impossible, but it is practically impossible. They're just too delicate.

I say all of this as a person who _loves_ the butterfly keyboard. Love the snap, love the travel, love the feel. My favorite keyboard of all time, right up until they invariably fail.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 27 of 68
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    rain22 said:

By "PCB" I meant the circuit board of keyboard itself. Alright, I'll try again…

Rain22's analogy is spot on. The failure of a single key resulting in an $800 replacement is bad design. I'm reminded of a possible urban legend about airbag misfires in expensive sports cars resulting in insurance companies calling the vehicles "totaled" because the airbags were so expensive. Whether that particular story is true or not, the point remains: bad design.

If you are stating that this applies to 2012-2015 models because they're also "welded" to the upper case, that's silly. The failure of a single key on a 2012-2015 model results in a $10 part, not a keyboard replacement. 

I personally replaced at least three or four keycaps on a 2016 model. It's not completely/literally impossible, but it is practically impossible. They're just too delicate.

I say all of this as a person who _loves_ the butterfly keyboard. Love the snap, love the travel, love the feel. My favorite keyboard of all time, right up until they invariably fail.
    Apple can and did replace individual keys on the 2016-2019 at retail, so I'm not sure what to tell you, here. And again, this is discussed in another commenter's post on the previous page.

A single key failure does not equate to an entire upper case replacement, and hasn't for about three years.

I'm not arguing it's a GOOD engineering design, and I'm not a fan of the keyboard from a typing experience. What I am saying is that the drama about all of them potentially WILL fail and WILL ALWAYS cost $600+ to replace is not accurate.
    edited May 2020 pscooter63muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 68
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    “Anecdotally”, the butterfly keyboard broke on my 2017 15” MBP after about 3 months. At least it was just the right arrow key, I mean you barely use that when editing text in Xcode. Replaced for free, fortunately. /s

Another butterfly keyboard was DOA on my daughter’s 2017 MacBook. On the other hand, the 2015 MacBook I bought never had issues, and a 2018 MBP 15 also worked.  2/4 without problems for me - hey, not bad!

I saw a ton of issues for people at work as well. I certainly wouldn’t buy a 2019 myself, saving a bit and worrying about when it’s going to fail (and be out of warranty / replacement program coverage to boot in a few years) doesn’t sound like a good time.

(I actually really liked the 2015 MacBook variant, great to type on... the MBP version was just terrible for me, for some reason. I’m far more accurate on the 16” MBP than on the MBP butterfly mechanism, and it feels so much better type on as well.)
  • Reply 29 of 68
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member
    There was so little travel on the butterfly keyboard that it felt like typing on concrete. It was the worst keyboard ever made. 
    anantksundaramGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 68
    dymmasdymmas Posts: 33member
    The butterfly keyboard was an unmitigated disaster. 

Bards will wail about it one day. 
    Really? This defines our times?

I enjoy typing in this keyboard, so not unmitigated...
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 31 of 68
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    dymmas said:
    The butterfly keyboard was an unmitigated disaster. 

Bards will wail about it one day. 
    Really? This defines our times?

I enjoy typing in this keyboard, so not unmitigated...
    I have the 2019 mbp and yes, I enjoy it, too. I am not a full time writer so maybe that's it?
  • Reply 32 of 68
    The double-key pressses (there it goes) on a 2019 13" MacBook Pro make me want to throw the machine into the ocean. And that's even with the Unshakey app, which ignores duplicate key presses. Maybe I got a bum model, but I wouldn't recommend anybody goo (again) anywhere near buying a butterfly keyboard.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Tim Cook loathes Apple and cares even less for its customers. Come on folks let's discuss a single unique soft/hardware product launched since Jobs' death that hasn't been a fucking embarrassment for Apple aficionados?
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Tim Cook loathes Apple and cares even less for its customers. Come on folks let's discuss a single unique soft/hardware product launched since Jobs' death that hasn't been a fucking embarrassment for Apple aficionados?
    Apple Watch.
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamfastasleepGG1king editor the gratepscooter63
  • Reply 35 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Apple Watch.
    I think his post raises an interesting, broader issue. IIRC, the Watch was started under Jobs. 

Other than the AirPods, what is new post-Jobs  at Apple that has moved the needle? Certainly not AppleMusic, not News, not HomePod, not @TV+, not Health, not HomeKit, not CarPlay. The Card and ApplePay may end up being sleeper hits, but not yet. 
    muthuk_vanalingambloodshotrollin'red
  • Reply 36 of 68
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    The butterfly mechanism keyboard was introduced with the 2015 MacBook -- and that was beloved. When Apple discontinued it in 2019, nobody praised them for abandoning a butterfly keyboard machine, they lamented that Apple was abandoning us by taking it away.

Beloved. Really? Was it really?
    I think I might have seen two outside a shop. Ever. I bet the old style MBAs still outsold them. And not by a small margin. The MBA was beloved. The expensive rMB with its one port and dodgy keyboard didn’t get a look in.

Edit: Iguess you could say that some of the few people prepared to buy them loved them. Then Again, they had a lot invested in liking them as they faced the happy MBA hordes.
    edited May 2020 avon b7
  • Reply 37 of 68
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Tim Cook makes lots of devices so he can make a great amount of money.
    Jobs made great devices that happened to make a lot of money.

that difference is what leads to butterfly keyboards.

wonkothesane
  • Reply 38 of 68
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    If I’m not mistaken the extended replacement period for butterfly keyboards is still in place for 4 years from the purchase date. I recently bought a 2017 12” Macbook on the used market. I called Apple support and I am covered until 09/2021. Otherwise I would not have taken the chance. They were very clear that it was still in effect even though I am not the original owner. Paid $600 for the mid-tier 8GigRam, 512SSD. It’s a cool Mac. 
  • Reply 39 of 68
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    rain22 said:

What Apple did not anticipate is that their beautiful laptops would be used by Croissant crunching couch potatoes, aka bloggers.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 40 of 68
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    I love the butterfly keyboard on my MBP 15' 2018.
    I love the small travel distance.
    Really helps me to increase my touch typing speed.

The majority of people (I am sure, here on the forum as well) do not touch type.

Let's ask touch typist (people who do not watch at the keyboard at all), which keyboard they prefer.

I love the butterfly keyboard.
    The best keyboard ever.

fastasleepking editor the grate