Spotify expects Apple to 'open up' its platforms after EU complaint

Posted:
in General Discussion
A year after Spotify launched an antitrust complaint against Apple with the European Union, CEO Daniel Ek expects the tech giant to continue opening up its platforms.

Spotify CEO and cofounder Daniel Ek. Credit: Spotify.
Spotify CEO and cofounder Daniel Ek. Credit: Spotify.

Spotify lodged the complaint, accusing Apple of anti-competitive practices in the App Store, with the European Commission in March 2019. Apple initially shot back at Spotify's allegations, but Ek said the iPhone maker has since eased restrictions in its walled garden.

"Long term, we do expect Apple to open up," the Spotify CEO told Bloomberg on Tuesday.

The music streaming company's original complaint alleged that Apple had an incentive to disadvantage competitors on the App Store, since it was both a platform provider as well a direct competitor with services like Apple Music. Ek is referencing the tight integration of Apple's services with its hardware, such as Apple Music capabilities on Siri.

Since Spotify's antitrust complaint in 2019, Apple has rolled out a feature allowing Siri to control third-party music services like Spotify. Spotify has also released tvOS and watchOS apps for its service -- something it once claimed was impossible.

"We're very encouraged about being able to now finally use Siri as a way of building in voice support and also being available to build products for the Apple TV and Apple Watch," Ek told Bloomberg. It isn't clear what prevented Spotify from building out an Apple TV app, as the tvOS platform has supported other third-party streaming options for years.

While Siri now supports third-party music apps, it's still not possible to change the default streaming service on iOS or iPadOS, or use third-party music streaming platforms on HomePod.

Apple is said to be considering allowing users to choose their own default email clients and web browsers as soon as this year, however.

Although Spotify formally filed a complaint in 2019, the company's criticisms about Apple's practices date back to 2016. At the time, Spotify said it noticed a "troubling pattern" of anti-competitive behavior in Apple, and later signed onto a letter urging the European Commission to rein in U.S. tech companies in 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    The sheer arrogance of this prick, thinking he had something to do with Apple decisions.
    tmayDAalsethmdriftmeyeragilealtituderob53lkruppjony0BeatsviclauyycJanNL
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    There is absolutely zero chance I will ever use their product. The CEO is a dirtbag who played by the rules to build up his product and now wants to change them to suit his needs. This company will never, ever make money. 
    tmayDAalsethvirtualshiftjony0BeatsJanNLtabarnackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    verne araseverne arase Posts: 460member
    Gee ... I don't suppose that the EU's reluctance to let platform owners get a cut of subscriptions has anything to do with the fact that they have no platform owners? Idiots ... I could see cutting down on the percentage, but making it free? Spotify is one of those "pay as little as you can" companies - didn't they sue artists for an attempt to increase their minuscule Spotify royalties?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    MurvelMurvel Posts: 24member
    Fanboyism has such entertainment value, that’s why I read the comments to pieces like these. It’s as if this were a 2003 record industry article about iTunes. 
    muthuk_vanalingamBeats
  • Reply 5 of 19
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Eat dirt spotify....used you once overseas and will never agin....wah wah wah
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Again that is, ghahaha
  • Reply 7 of 19
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    This guy reminds me of the excellent court room diatribe Jack Nicholson did in the movie "A Few Good Men" when he exclaimed, "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!"  This guy has no platform to supply apps but then complains to the company that does because they too decided to serve music.
    pujones1JanNLtabarnackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I’d be interested in syncing bookmarks between browsers, and backing them up to the iCloud.

Which is the default?  I don’t really care...
  • Reply 9 of 19
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I think turnabout is fair play. Apple should open their platform to them and Apple should supply the layout to Spotify’s platform as a standard on IOS for all competing music streaming platforms to use as much as the like. 

IP doesn’t matter! Right?!
    pujones1Rayz2016
  • Reply 10 of 19
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    stuke said:
    This guy reminds me of the excellent court room diatribe Jack Nicholson did in the movie "A Few Good Men" when he exclaimed, "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!"  This guy has no platform to supply apps but then complains to the company that does because they too decided to serve music.
    Awesome!!!! Nice nice nice!!! Love that movie. Thanks for adding that!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    So spotify like to bite the hands that feed it?  Let’s see how long that works out for them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    roake said:
    So spotify like to bite the hands that feed it?  Let’s see how long that works out for them.

Everyone does this to Apple. Which is why I don't give a sh** about these scumbag companies.

Murvel said:
    Fanboyism has such entertainment value, that’s why I read the comments to pieces like these. It’s as if this were a 2003 record industry article about iTunes. 

Did you read the article or just log in to spew your inferiority complex. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Way to go Spotify!! It is no secret how SUPERIOR Spotify is to iTunes/Apple Music. The sound quality is superior the music selection is vast, and better than Apple. Spotify UI is simple and streamlined, and can seamlessly sync/play/ broadcast to multiple speakers, or other devices. In stark contrast, Apple's is a horrible UI. Connecting multiple devices stutters out, often quits. . many times doesn't show up. Constant issues with ID. Making sure iTunes Store account is logged in, security checks, enter your CC verify again and again, every time after terms update/updates. Horrible hate code is what the apple experience is. What a complete and horrid shambles of a mess. Sad. IF you want something that just works, and works in a fantastic flawless fashion, go Spotify. Spotify never die! :) 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 14 of 19
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    digitol said:
    Way to go Spotify!! It is no secret how SUPERIOR Spotify is to iTunes/Apple Music. The sound quality is superior the music selection is vast, and better than Apple. Spotify UI is simple and streamlined, and can seamlessly sync/play/ broadcast to multiple speakers, or other devices. In stark contrast, Apple's is a horrible UI. Connecting multiple devices stutters out, often quits. . many times doesn't show up. Constant issues with ID. Making sure iTunes Store account is logged in, security checks, enter your CC verify again and again, every time after terms update/updates. Horrible hate code is what the apple experience is. What a complete and horrid shambles of a mess. Sad. IF you want something that just works, and works in a fantastic flawless fashion, go Spotify. Spotify never die! :) 
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-05/spotify-ceo-sees-an-18-billion-opportunity-in-selling-ads?sref=QJyGlEuQ

Fucking Ad Company, first and foremost, so of course, they will, in fact, never die!
    chemengin1tabarnackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    I don't like what Spotify is doing. But I am still using them (premium). I have tried Apple Music 2 times, around 8 months in total. And I like Spotify interface so much more. I find playlists of other users so much better than on Apple Music. I wish to like Apple Music more so that I could stop using Spotify.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    The sheer arrogance of this prick, thinking he had something to do with Apple decisions.
    Euh well, because he is right? Apple is abusing their ecosystem to create an unfair market. Their ecosystem is so huge with so little competition that it's essentially a monopoly where content creators are stuck with Apple's rules. This is anti-competitive and it is time Apple gets sued for this behavior. In the case of Spotify it's having to speak long sentences because if you forget 'Spotify' it defaults to Apple Music. HomePod doesn't even work with Spotify properly (through Siri). There are plenty of other examples. 
    Same goes for 'defaults' such as map navigation software (I prefer Google Maps over Apple Maps), Mail (I prefer Apple Mail), etc...Users should be free to set their default app category, and Apple should deliver the SDK/APIs and not leave the 'special stuff' to their first party apps.
    In fact, and I know this is controversial, I think there should be discussion around their App Store as well, finding a balance between maintaining quality/safety and freedom of choice.

The irony is that when Apple was still small and Microsoft huge, all Apple fans were complaining about 'Micro$oft' abusing their monopoly, e.g Internet Explorer being shipped with Windows and integrated in their OS, creating unfair market share. Now the tables are turned, most people on this forum think Spotify is the one out of their element? Come on!

ps: IMHO Spotify's interface is vastly superior to Apple Music. 
    edited May 2020 electrosoft
  • Reply 17 of 19
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Beats said:
    roake said:

Everyone does this to Apple. Which is why I don't give a sh** about these scumbag companies.

Murvel said:

Did you read the article or just log in to spew your inferiority complex. 
    You make it sound like Apple is a charity trying to save the world. They have hundreds of lawyers patenting everything they can, trying to stretch what is legally allowed and  apply very aggressive business practices...it's in their DNA and they are incredibly skilled doing so. Aka: they are not different from any other enterprise conglomerate. Spotify is no different. Why you call Spotify a 'scumbag company' and not Apple, doesn't make sense. 
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I think we have too much fanboism here - reading the first sets of comments!

This is good news - good for you Spotify. Force the platform to open up a little more. Being able to use Siri with the other music services and the HomePod is a good thing. 

It may be a little late by the time this happens but making it happen is important, Apple will keep this locked down until the threat of having to open it up. Like any company would do. Opening to the TV's, Sonos etc is all good for the customer and it is good for Apple. Keeps them on their toes.

As a user I certainly welcome this. Apple Music is utterly terrible - the UI is so bad. I struggle to remember a worse product that Apple has shipped. I am an Apple user through and through, but in this area Spotify is miles ahead. Perhaps its different in the US but in the UK Apple Music is such a disappointment.

Better app, options and quality. Every few months I try again with Apple Music but its woeful for how I want to use it. I'm clearly not the the main demographic but I'm sure 2000's Apple would be mocking the current iOS UI.

Now Spotify - stay out of Podcasts you are not welcome there!

edited May 2020
  • Reply 19 of 19
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    genovelle said:
    I think turnabout is fair play. Apple should open their platform to them and Apple should supply the layout to Spotify’s platform as a standard on IOS for all competing music streaming platforms to use as much as the like. 

IP doesn’t matter! Right?!
    Wrong. Spotify’s layout/GUI is one of the main things why I use Spotify. They might be a sh$tty company, but their product provides more value (better playlists and their search) than Apple Music.