New iOS feature automatically sends medical information to emergency services

Posted:
in iOS edited May 2020
Apple's latest iOS 13.5 beta release includes a new Health app feature that allows iPhone and Apple Watch users to automatically send Medical ID information to first responders.

Medical ID
Apple's upcoming Medical ID sharing feature.

When enabled, the "Share Medical ID" feature pushes information stored in the Health app to emergency services when a user calls 911, delivering data that could be vital in providing effective care. Users can also elect to display Medical ID information on an iPhone's lock screen in emergency situations.

With Medical ID, users are able to list relevant health information including allergies, medical conditions, blood type, medications and more.

"iPhone and Apple Watch can automatically send the information in your Medical ID to the dispatcher who answers your call," Apple says. "This can speed up the process of getting the care you need."

Additionally, Share Medical ID can be configured to activate when Apple Watch's fall detection capability is triggered. Available on Apple Watch Series 4 and Series 5 devices, fall detection monitors accelerometer data to determine when a user has "taken a hard fall." Watch presents an option to call emergency services or, if so configured, automatically sends out an SOS.

The Medical ID sharing feature is currently available in areas that support Enhanced Emergency Data, an initiative that pings smartphone location data to help first responders locate users in distress.

Functionality was introduced on Wednesday with Apple's iOS 13.5 beta release. Upon opening the Health app, users are prompted to review "Emergency Access to Medical ID" options, where they can opt in to the automated service.

Medical ID sharing is expected to roll out to all users in the coming weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    Healthy company, healthy stock, healthy product mix, healthy services, Automatically sharing Medical ID seems like a healthy feature. How ironic to read about this new feature during National Nurses and Hospital week.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 526member
    So... “ The Medical ID sharing feature is currently available in areas that support Enhanced Emergency Data, an initiative that pings smartphone location data to help first responders locate users in distress. ” Where is this active? Too often Canadian users get left out of new health features. We had to wait a year to get the fall detection activated on our otherwise-functioning Apple Watch S4. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    That's a nice enhancement.
    But I think it needs more:  Specifically, ID information such as name, address, phone number as well insurance information and emergency contact information.   Also, DNR and living will instructions -- even funeral instructions.

All of that is needed by those caring for a person who is unable to speak for themselves.

Apple a few years ago introduced the concept of the "digital wallet" but pretty much stopped with payment information.  That whole concept as well as health info could and, I think, should be expanded to replace the actual wallet.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    I would venture to say that a majority of calls to 911 are not for medical related issues. Would not want that info being sent automatically. That's for sure.
    gatorguybonobobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    mike1 said:
    I would venture to say that a majority of calls to 911 are not for medical related issues. Would not want that info being sent automatically. That's for sure.
    Oh, excellent point! Don't know why that didn't occur to me.

By the way I suspect offering health information even with the screen locked is due to some government mandate. Google did this last year and iOS now, and both with the same data fields. 
    edited May 2020 jony0
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    gatorguy said:
    mike1 said:
    Oh, excellent point! Don't know why that didn't occur to me.

By the way I suspect offering health information even with the screen locked is due to some government mandate. Google did this last year and iOS now, and both with the same data fields. 
    Furthermore, how many people actually call 911 for themselves, if it was a medical emergency.

watto_cobra