Apple TV with A12X ready to go at any time, claims leaker

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2020
A prolific leaker has declared that Apple has a new Apple TV 4K ready to go, and it could launch the product at any time.

Apple TV 4K

Apple has been rumored for about a year to have a new Apple TV 4K model in the works. However, a new rumor about the product came to light on Thursday morning.

Leaker Jon Prosser made the declaration about the new Apple TV with specifics.

New Apple TV 4K with A12X - 64GB/128GB ready to ship.

Codename: Neptune T1125

Another one of those things that could drop any time. Apple got no chill right now

I'll let you know if/when I hear a date. Who knows, maybe Apple can keep it a secret from me

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

The present Apple TV 4K uses the A10X processor. Apple's A12X processor was first found in the first-generation 11-inch iPad Pro and the third generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro from 2018.

The A10X processor is sufficient to play back 4K HDR content as it stands. The logical assumption for inclusion of the newer processor is economies of scale for Apple, and more processing power for demanding Apple Arcade games.

While Prosser is new to the Apple leaks scene, he has a long-standing one for other manufacturers. He has an excellent track record as it pertains to Apple products, and has accurately reported codenames, and expected release dates of products sometimes weeks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    justinpejustinpe Posts: 32member
    Prediction: The remote will get a U1 chip so you can locate it using the Find My app. 
    seanjdewmerazorpitpujones1jcs2305bluefire1llamapscooter63lolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 2 of 80
    brudinbrudin Posts: 3member
    Hopefully true. I’ve been holding out for a new one as the 3rd gen is getting a bit old.  And what better time than when everyone is home!
    jeffharrislolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 80
    mbdrake76mbdrake76 Posts: 43member
    It's pity they're not putting storage capacities in the terabytes on these things to allow you to download all your iTunes movie purchases - because if you don't download them, and the content provider pulls it from the iTunes store - you're screwed.  Just had a title removed from my library that I bought in 2015 for this reason.  As I have 1.75Tb worth of movies and that Apple storage is incredibly expensive, keeping them in the "cloud" seems the only reasonable way of doing it.  But no. 

And you don't get any recompense or any notification whatsoever from Apple prior to the title being withdrawn.  It makes buying movies from them a massive risk (even worse with other digital stores such as Amazon or Google Play as you don't get to download them as a file as you do with iTunes - assuming one has a computer, of course).  Subscriptions to Apple TV+, Netflix, Amazon, Disney, etc. are fine - you know what you're getting and you're willing to accept that you'd lose access to them if you stopped subscribing or if their licensing no longer permits them to stream the title. 

So for me, the Apple TV has lost its appeal somewhat.
    williamlondonlkrupprazorpitMikeTradrGeorgeBMacflyingdpmuthuk_vanalingampscooter63steveau
  • Reply 4 of 80
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    SoC upgrade is fine and all that, but would average ATV 4K owners know or care? I doubt it. It already supports 4K video and Dolby Atmos, has BT 5.0. I suppose Apple could add WiFi 6, if that's deemed worthwhile. Rationalizing Apple's SoC mix is a reasonable thing for them to do, but hardly seems worthy of a new product unless there are new customer-facing features.

People do bitch about the remote — I have no particular complaint about mine, though — so I suppose they could do something with that.

Overall a new ATV 4K sounds like the solution to a non-existent problem. Or a rumor about a non-existent product?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 80
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    brudin said:
    Hopefully true. I’ve been holding out for a new one as the 3rd gen is getting a bit old.  And what better time than when everyone is home!
    Hopefully this will come along with a new UI for tvOS at WWDC, the current one looks nice but that's about the only plus. It feels sluggish and as usual Apple's obsession with minimalism has overloaded the few physical buttons on the remote and made it harder to use. You never know what the menu button on the remote is going to actually do, will it take you to the home screen or will it show the top menu, or will it take you back up a level in the current app? The only way to know a top menu even exists in a particular app is usually accidental discovery. The inconsistency of the menu button makes the whole thing really really clunky. 

A long menu button press should take you to the top level in that app, and a single press should take you up a level. When you're at the top level and you press menu, either the top menu should show (ideally that would have a different button) or nothing should happen. As it is now you have to gingerly press the menu button until you get back to the top level. Too many times and you're kicked back to the home screen. There're plenty of other areas that are terrible too, the keyboard for example and the fact that you can't remap buttons on third party remotes. The "home" button on the playstation remote has to be held to get to the home screen, because a short press and the control centre appears. Which is essentially never used anyway, it's really dumb.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Somebody please explain to me why a STREAMING box needs 128GB. And don’t say for downloads. 128GB would get you a few 4K movies. Do people really have hundreds of apps on their TVs like they do their phones?
    edited May 2020 razorpitGilliam_Batesllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 80
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    What are the implications beyond gaming? I don’t really use my ATV for games or use Apple Arcade. Just wondering if there’s a reason to upgrade from the 4th Gen ATV4K if you don’t plan on gaming.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 80
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 777member
    mbdrake76 said:
    It's pity they're not putting storage capacities in the terabytes on these things to allow you to download all your iTunes movie purchases - because if you don't download them, and the content provider pulls it from the iTunes store - you're screwed.  Just had a title removed from my library that I bought in 2015 for this reason.  As I have 1.75Tb worth of movies and that Apple storage is incredibly expensive, keeping them in the "cloud" seems the only reasonable way of doing it.  But no. 
    Buy an NAS RAID and plug it into your home network. 

I have a Synology DiskStation DS218+ with 2 workstation class Seagate 8TB drives for about $800 total.

It was a little tricky to setup, but now all my media files are stored on it and use it for wireless Time Machine backups for my wife’s and my MacBook Pros. 

PLUS, all my stuff is safe at home, not floating around somewhere to disappear if somehow the wires get cut.
    razorpitpujones1MikeTradrmbdrake76pscooter63minicoffeeStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 80
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    mbdrake76 said:

And you don't get any recompense or any notification whatsoever from Apple prior to the title being withdrawn.  It makes buying movies from them a massive risk (even worse with other digital stores such as Amazon or Google Play as you don't get to download them as a file as you do with iTunes - assuming one has a computer, of course).  Subscriptions to Apple TV+, Netflix, Amazon, Disney, etc. are fine - you know what you're getting and you're willing to accept that you'd lose access to them if you stopped subscribing or if their licensing no longer permits them to stream the title. 

Or just the ability to plug in a USB hard drive. I bought a $300 mini PC to essentially turn into a movie server, ended up being to slow so I ended up buying a low end Mac mini, which works like a champ but if I could have just plugged the USB drive into my AppleTV, problem would have been solved without the extra expense or headache.
    razorpitbluefire1mbdrake76entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 80
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    mbdrake76 said:

This isn't a media server, it's a media streamer... If you want all your movies saved locally, do it on your computer and use it as a media server. My iMac has long been used as my "iTunes" server with some 2 terabytes of movies, tv shows, music, podcasts, and photos all stored on an external hard drive.
    edited May 2020 razorpitcyberzombiegalfridusbluefire1mbdrake76pscooter63lolliverStrangeDayschasmkurai_kage
  • Reply 11 of 80
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    As others have suggested, a U1 chip for the remote would be nice.  The remote itself should be re-thought.  It's a complete and utter piece of trash UX wise.   I don' know how many time I've grabbed the thing tried to do something, only to belatedly realize that I was holding it upside down :-(   That little rectangular slab simply doesn't have enough touch-feedback to let you know when you're holding it right (I feel like Steve Jobs talking about Antenna-gate :-)

I don't play games on my Apple TV - and I venture to say that most people that have one don't either.  So a processor upgrade is probably not going to sway anyone to upgrade.  All in all, my Apple TV 4K and my HomePods are the two most boring Apple devices I own.  They do what they do, but I can't imagine either of them improving much until Siri becomes a whole lot better than she is right now (and has been for, what, 10 years?)

I actually doubt I'll get another Apple TV.   Our Samsung TV is 10+ years old and I'm waiting for LG's 2020 OLED lineup to become available - those TVs supposedly have Apple TV built in.  Since that TV will be hanging on a wall, I welcome not having to put an extra box somewhere. 
    elijahg13485mbdrake76
  • Reply 12 of 80
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    Bring it today!
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 80
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    mbdrake76 said:
    It's pity they're not putting storage capacities in the terabytes on these things to allow you to download all your iTunes movie purchases - because if you don't download them, and the content provider pulls it from the iTunes store - you're screwed. 

The problem here is even if you download your movies, if it’s pulled from the Apple library, it’s flagged as unplayable. So unless you’ve decrypt the original file, your still screwed.

This is why I still buy 4K Blu-ray disks, I get the iTunes code for convenience and physical media should it ever get pulled. And for some reason, the sound with Dolby TrueHD sounds better too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 80
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    lkrupp said:
    Somebody please explain to me why a STREAMING box needs 128GB. And don’t say for downloads. 128GB would get you a few 4K movies. Do people really have hundreds of apps on their TVs like they do their phones?
    Apple Arcade isn't streaming.

There are apps that allow you to download your own content to the Apple TV too.
    elijahgmbdrake76lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 80
    snow66snow66 Posts: 15member
    lkrupp said:
    Local storage isn't just for the Apps themselves. Some Apps use significant amounts of local storage for temporary and persistent data. The Channels App buffers OTA television locally on the device when you pause live TV. Applications such as Infuse that manage and view collections of movies work best when the database of movie info and clipart are stored locally even when the movies themselves are stored on NAS or in the cloud. Use a couple of these and the current 32GB configs result in frequent rescans of your files. Even as a non-gamer I look forward to 64/128GB configurations.
    elijahgmbdrake76pscooter63lolliverfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 80
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    HDMI 2.1,BT5,WiFi 6, Cinema HDR (Dolby Vision,HDR10, HLG),Dolby Vision IQ,HDR Dynamic Tone Mapping Pro,HGiG,FreeSync,VRR,ALLM,Dolby Atmos,etc.
    We will take whatever comes along in updated Apple TV box.

edited May 2020 mbdrake76watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 80
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    justinpe said:
    Prediction: The remote will get a U1 chip so you can locate it using the Find My app. 

I truly understand the sentiment.

The ATV is a great product but the remote control is a human-factors engineering disaster. You can't really hold it in your hand comfortably because its like trying to drive your pickup truck with a Barbie Car steering wheel. Was it actually designed for Hamster hands? But if you put it down, its slick surfaces and wafer thin profile means it's going to disappear nearly instantly underneath or into something in your TV viewing area or anywhere around your house. When you buy an Apple TV, Apple should send a sales associate over to your house in-advance to pre-hide your ATV Remote somewhere in your house where you'd least expect to find it, like in the cat's litter box, in a diaper (yours perhaps?), or next to the emergency fire extinguisher under the kitchen sink. This would serve as a proper tutorial and training exercise for newbie ATV Remote owners.

Okay okay, I'll concede that if you actually live in a padded cell, like the designer of the ATV "where the **** is it?" (WTFII) Remote probably does, you should be able to locate it rather quickly, assuming your padded walls and floor are not upholstered in a very dark decor. Mine aren't. But then again, if you do manage to pick it up in an upright orientation in your tiny trumpian hands, there's still a 50-50 chance you're going to be grabbing it by the wrong end and stroking its shiny side and pressing its Pause button whilst nothing responds on your ATV screen. It's a Homer-Doh!-Fest ridiculous excuse for anything that is supposedly designed for use by creatures with fingers and an opposable thumb. Like me.

The ATV Remote should be inducted into the Apple Design Hall of Shame. It gets my vote. Just put the damn thing in there, but good luck finding it. It's probably hiding under the puck mouse or next to the Newton.

elijahgtjwolfITGUYINSDbluefire1mbdrake76TRAGpscooter63mystigoOfer
  • Reply 18 of 80
    TeeJoroniTeeJoroni Posts: 8member
    I have a Synology DS218 I have some Home movies and rips on the drive and I am able to stream them directly to Apple TV HD/4K via the Synology app that goes directly on Apple TV. 

iTunes movies are downloaded on iOS and Through iTunes or TV app on Mac. I wonder if you can store those “forever”. 

Going to test it now...(not the forever part.. that will take a while)

mbdrake76 said:
    Buy an NAS RAID and plug it into your home network. 

I have a Synology DiskStation DS218+ with 2 workstation class Seagate 8TB drives for about $800 total.

It was a little tricky to setup, but now all my media files are stored on it and use it for wireless Time Machine backups for my wife’s and my MacBook Pros. 

PLUS, all my stuff is safe at home, not floating around somewhere to disappear if somehow the wires get cut.

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 80
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I'm not a gamer -- but this seems like it is (likely) a missed opportunity for Apple to put out a product that can take advantage of the many thousands of iOS games and compete with X-Box and the like.

Gaming on the iPhone is well done.   But it's limited.   For "real" games you need graphics power and a large, 4K display -- as well as some type of speaker & microphone for interacting with other players.  

My grandson interacts and plays with his friends through much of the day these "socially distanced" days sitting in front of his TV via his X-Box (Group messages and Group Facetime and other similar vehicles are also popular).
    dewmeStrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 80
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    Given the current trend of Apple releasing "new" models that are basically the same as the old with just a chip change or two, I wouldn't count on them entirely redesigning the remote.  Complete redesign of things doesn't seem to be their 2020 priority (iPhone SE 2020, Macbook Pro 13 2020, iPad Pro 2020).