Apple's first Mini LED product might not launch until 2021

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Apple's first product to integrate Mini LED display technology might see a later-than-expected launch timeline due to setbacks caused by the coronavirus pandemic, according to new research from TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iMac Pro
Apple's next-generation iMac Pro is expected to incorporate a Mini LED display.

In a note to investors on Thursday, Ming-Chi Kuo said recent supply chain checks indicate Apple's manufacturing partners, like Mini LED supplier Epistar and exclusive chip and wafer probing system provider FitTech, are gearing up for mass production of LED chips in the third quarter of 2020. That will be followed by panel assembly and terminal assembly in the fourth quarter, with the latter manufacturing phase potentially creeping into the first quarter of 2021.

The Cupertino tech giant was previously expected to debut a slate of six new devices bearing Mini LED display technology by the end of 2020.

Kuo in March pegged Apple to field a 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 10.2-inch iPad, 7.9-inch iPad mini, 27-inch iMac Pro, refreshed 16-inch MacBook Pro and all-new 14.1-inch MacBook Pro this year, each supposedly benefiting from Mini LED screens. At the time, the analyst said Mini LED development would "remain unaffected" by COVID-19, a prediction that appears to have been overly optimistic.

Short of a blowout fall announcement, Kuo's revised manufacturing estimates leave little room for the six rumored devices to reach store shelves in 2020.

Despite a slight shift to Apple's Mini LED plans, however, COVID-19 complications are not anticipated to have a pronounced effect on the company's overall strategy.

"We believe that investors do not need to worry too much about the extension of the Mini LED schedule, because Mini LED is a key technology that Apple will promote for the next five years," Kuo's note reads. "Even if the short-term schedule is affected by the new coronavirus, it will not damage the long-term positive trend."

A relatively new backlighting technology, Mini LEDs offer better local dimming, color reproduction and contrast ratios than conventional LED-backlit displays.

The analyst anticipates Apple's Mini LED device shipments to experience rapid year-over-year growth of 300% in 2021 and 225% in 2022, suggesting additional product designs are in the pipeline.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    As a completely new technology I expect there to be a lot of manufacturing issues to work out, especially to begin selling products at scale. We’ve seen virtually nothing beyond rumors for microLED displays so this doesn’t really surprise me.  I would be surprised if the 27” iMac Pro was an early product; I’d expect smaller screens like iPads to come first.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    We’ve been hearing about this for years.  Let me know when the product is in-hand and ready to be reviewed...

This is almost as bad as the AirPower vaporware.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 13
    vman815vman815 Posts: 8member
    We’ve been hearing about this for years.  Let me know when the product is in-hand and ready to be reviewed...

Vaporware? No. Unlike AirPower, Apple has not pre-announced any Mini LED products. This is all just media speculation.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    vman815 said:

Vaporware? No. Unlike AirPower, Apple has not pre-announced any Mini LED products. This is all just media speculation.
    Right - it Rumorware would be a better description.
    watto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    Mini-LED is cool and all, it's a positive step, but Micro-LED is the real future.  Once that is available at a reasonable price it will be a real game changer.  Sadly still a few years out on that one though.
    watto_cobrafastasleepdysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 13
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    MplsP said:
    As a completely new technology I expect there to be a lot of manufacturing issues to work out, especially to begin selling products at scale. We’ve seen virtually nothing beyond rumors for microLED displays so this doesn’t really surprise me.  I would be surprised if the 27” iMac Pro was an early product; I’d expect smaller screens like iPads to come first.
    Mini LED is not microLED.

Mini LED is already announced for products like the MSI Creator 17:

3840x2160 resolution
    1000 nits peak brightness
    DisplayHDR 1000
    100% DCI-P3
    240 local dimming zones.

These look to be impressive displays - they're just not at the level of microLED, which are still a number of years away.
    caladanianJinTech
  • Reply 7 of 13
    KITA said:
    MplsP said:

Facepalm. I know that and still mixed them up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    KITA said:
    MplsP said:

3840x2160 resolution
    DisplayHDR 1000
    100% DCI-P3
    240 local dimming zones.

These look to be impressive displays - they're just not at the level of microLED, which are still a number of years away.
    1000 nits would be a dream as you can comfortably read in sunlight.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    KITA said:
    MplsP said:

3840x2160 resolution
    DisplayHDR 1000
    100% DCI-P3
    240 local dimming zones.

Indeed impressive though it still runs Windows, it's an i7 processor, only 32 GBs of memory, twice the weight of the MacBook Pro and with a price tag at $3,599, for just $400 more you can get the MacBook Pro with an i9 processor and 64 GBs of memory. Sure with the MSI Creator, you do get a 17.3" display and 2 TBs of SSD storage but for me, running the macOS, the additional 32 GBs of memory, and the extra beefiness of the i9 takes the cake for me. If I needed anything more than a 16" screen I would just get an external monitor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    JinTech said:
    KITA said:
    MplsP said:

3840x2160 resolution
    DisplayHDR 1000
    100% DCI-P3
    240 local dimming zones.

Indeed impressive though it still runs Windows, it's an i7 processor, only 32 GBs of memory, twice the weight of the MacBook Pro and with a price tag at $3,599, for just $400 more you can get the MacBook Pro with an i9 processor and 64 GBs of memory. Sure with the MSI Creator, you do get a 17.3" display and 2 TBs of SSD storage but for me, running the macOS, the additional 32 GBs of memory, and the extra beefiness of the i9 takes the cake for me. If I needed anything more than a 16" screen I would just get an external monitor.
    You don't have to buy it, but since you went to the trouble of trying to make a comparison, let's do a little fact checking for you.

The 10th gen i7 in the MSI is more powerful than the 9th gen i9 in the MBP 16. You can put 64 GB RAM into the MSI if you want. The MSI also has an NVIDIA RTX 2080 SUPER Max-Q 8 GB which embarrasses the Radeon Pro 5500M. It's also not even close to being twice the weight.

Let's break that down a little more:

Apple MacBook Pro 16 - $4000:

16" 3072x1920 IPS display
    i9-9880H (8 cores / 16 threads - 2.3 GHz base / 4.8 GHz turbo)
    64 GB DDR4 RAM
    Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB GDDR6
    2 TB NVMe
    4.3 lbs

MSI Creator 17 - $3600:

17.3" 3840x2160 Mini LED display
    i7-10875H (8 cores / 16 threads - 2.3 GHz base / 5.1 GHz turbo)
    32 GB DDR4 (user expandable to 64 GB)
    RTX 2080 SUPER Max-Q 8 GB GDDR6
    2 TB NVMe (user expandable)
    5.3 lbs

Of course, the main point is, you get a Mini LED display.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 11 of 13
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    KITA said:
    JinTech said:
    KITA said:
    MplsP said:

3840x2160 resolution
    DisplayHDR 1000
    100% DCI-P3
    240 local dimming zones.

You don't have to buy it, but since you went to the trouble of trying to make a comparison, let's do a little fact checking for you.

The 10th gen i7 in the MSI is more powerful than the 9th gen i9 in the MBP 16. You can put 64 GB RAM into the MSI if you want. The MSI also has an NVIDIA RTX 2080 SUPER Max-Q 8 GB which embarrasses the Radeon Pro 5500M. It's also not even close to being twice the weight.

64 GB DDR4 RAM
    2 TB NVMe
    4.3 lbs

MSI Creator 17 - $3600:

5.3 lbs

It's still running Windows, which is a bottleneck. The weight, from what I saw on Amazon is more than double that of the MacBookPro, which I guess they were wrong about. Are you stating that the i7 is actually faster or just faster by the printed clock rate? It's a serious question. I understand the main point but I guess a Mini LED is not part of my needs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    JinTech said:
    KITA said:
    JinTech said:
    KITA said:
    MplsP said:

3840x2160 resolution
    DisplayHDR 1000
    100% DCI-P3
    240 local dimming zones.

64 GB DDR4 RAM
    2 TB NVMe
    4.3 lbs

MSI Creator 17 - $3600:

5.3 lbs

It's still running Windows, which is a bottleneck. The weight, from what I saw on Amazon is more than double that of the MacBookPro, which I guess they were wrong about. Are you stating that the i7 is actually faster or just faster by the printed clock rate? It's a serious question. I understand the main point but I guess a Mini LED is not part of my needs.
    Potentially, in most cases it isn't, especially when it gives you access to a wide range of hardware options and software that just doesn't exist elsewhere.

Both, the i7-10875H is actually faster than the i9-9880H when tested and faster on paper.

If mini LED isn't your need, then the Creator 17 or any other mini LED laptop is likely not for you and there are better less expensive options on the market. So I'm not sure why you compared it to the MBP 16 in the first place.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Don’t care. It’s a stop gap. Wake me when displays are all microLED.

It’s going to be a LONG time. I’m probably going to be elderly by the time we have displays with LCD sharpness and CRT dynamics (color/contrast/black levels).