Apple renews effort to induce authors to publish with Apple Books

Posted:
in General Discussion
Eight years after it released tools to make what were then called iBooks, Apple has launched Apple Books for Authors, a new effort to get writers publishing on its platform.

Authors Dani Shapiro (left) and Walter Mosley (right) are among the writers giving (a little) advice
Authors Dani Shapiro (left) and Walter Mosley (right) are among the writers giving (a little) advice

Back when it was trying to establish the iPad, and back before it unfairly lost a $450 million lawsuit over alleged book price fixing, Apple had hopes of becoming the premier e-book service. It had a lot on its side, too, starting with how Apple iBooks simply looked better than Amazon's Kindle titles.

Unfortunately, Amazon had a big head start. By the time Apple announced its iBooks service alongside the iPad in January 2010, Kindle had already been around for three years.

Kindle had already become the Hoover of vacuum cleaners, or the Biro of pens. More people talked about reading on their Kindle than they did about buying e-books.

Then producing books for Kindle was reasonably simple -- reasonably -- whether you were an established publisher or an individual author. While there was and is more to it, broadly if you can produce a PDF of your book, you can publish it.

That made and continues to make it quick to produce Kindle books, but it also means that Amazon's platform is basic. Apple set out to reinvent the e-book experience, starting with readers, but then in 2012 with authors too.

Left: Apple Books on iPad. Right: Kindle on iPad.
Left: Apple Books on iPad. Right: Kindle on iPad.

The last time Apple tried to attract authors

Originally called iBooks Author, Apple's app was capable of producing PDFs for Kindle, but it was really set on making gorgeous books for its own platform. The app's ability to give authors everything from better typographical controls, to embedding video, was superb. It truly left Kindle in the dust.

Except it was also buggy. Even though it had taken Apple two years to get the app released, authors repeatedly found that it would crash. If you added too much video, if you used too many features, iBooks Author would creak and fail.

Doubtlessly, that tool has been improved over the years, but unfortunately few people will have noticed because not very many stuck with it. The artistry and the capability of Apple iBooks was beaten by the sheer ubiquity of Kindle.

Apple does not release any figures so it's not possible to even realistically guess how many books are on the service compared to Kindle. But anecdotally, it has long been true that if you want a particular title, it is certain to be on Kindle -- and only possibly also on Apple Books.

If you're an author, you might well still read what are now called Apple Books, and appreciate that they do look better. It's just now so rare to commit to creating books solely for the Apple Books Store that Apple's app is all but forgotten.

Apple's iBooks Author still lives on

That's very unfair, but even today as Apple launches Apple Books for Authors, its renewed effort to attract authors does not mean it's improved its software tools. Dishearteningly, the app is even still called iBooks Author.

This is what Apple's iBooks Author app looks like today -- and looked like when it launched in 2012, too.
This is what Apple's iBooks Author app looks like today -- and looked like when it launched in 2012, too.

It has been updated since Apple renamed the service from iBooks to just Books back in 2018, but not noticeably so. Apple's iBooks Author is currently on version 2.6.1, and that update came a year ago.

The release before, 2.6, was two years ago, and 2.5 was three years ago. It's not as if any of these updates are significant either, so this is not the cutting-edge tool it even was originally.

What Apple is doing with its new Apple Books for Authors initiative is only partly about the tools to do it. Alongside its own authoring tool, Apple is now promoting Pages as the place to "create stunning books," and Microsoft Word as an also-ran.

Apple does mention alternatives, such as its own Notes app, but also significantly the third-party Scrivener. That's a compelling tool for writers, both for how it helps you manage writing large books, and it is so good, so popular, that it would look peculiar if Apple hadn't mentioned it.

It seems just as peculiar that the new promotion doesn't mention Vellum. Vellum is beautifully designed app and service for creating e-books and print titles, and it's made by ex-Apple designers.

Apple offers advice

The tools Apple does mention are a very small part of the new Apple Books for Authors offering. They're a footnote in a section called "Write Your Book," which concentrates much more on finding inspiration.

This section is like Apple dipping a toe into the Masterclass format. Established authors, such as Dani Shapiro and Walter Mosley, talk directly to camera about issues to do with writing.

They're well-shot, well-made, and the authors are interesting. But where Masterclass has, say, Aaron Sorkin talking for around three hours, each of the few Apple Books for Authors videos so far is two minutes long.

Where Apple Books for Authors does much better is in the detail of what happens after writing. It has sections on preparing your book for publication, then publishing it, and also what happens afterwards with marketing and sales and reporting.

Maggie Tokuda-Hall is one of currently four authors giving advice on the new service
Maggie Tokuda-Hall is one of currently four authors giving advice on the new service

It's true that publishing on Kindle is easy, but it isn't true that it's immediately obvious how to do it. There are lots of steps and most individual authors who publish on it get there through repeated trial and error, and much discussion on Amazon support forums.

Apple, by comparison, now provides a great deal of information about each step of the process. It's all written in typically understandable Apple style, and features videos for the more head-scratching parts such as working with the iTunes Connect service for publishing.

Where Apple Books wins

Apple's new service is heavy on helpful advice, but it doesn't skimp on promoting itself. In about the only direct reference to Kindle, Apple has a table listing all the reasons why it is better.

It's one of those tables that has many categories, with ticks for Apple and, of course, crosses for Kindle. This is canted toward Apple, naturally, but its points are fair.

For instance, it points out that Apple does not charge authors or publishers for delivering ebooks to readers. This has always been a bit of a nonsense that Kindle does, and it dates back to the early days when Amazon found some way to charge for transmitting a book to your Kindle hardware device.

Then with what might be a clenched-jaw nod to the old lawsuit, Apple Books for Authors makes a point of saying that it does not do price matching -- and that Kindle does.

Will Apple Books for Authors work?

Apple Books for Authors could do with more author videos, as the ones so far are short enough that they feel insubstantial. Apple could do with a major revamp to iBooks Author, or perhaps it could simply drop it entirely and concentrate on Pages.

Aside from that, what the new promotion brings is just this -- promotion. It is a strong advertisement for Apple Books, and it offers genuinely useful advice and information.

Right now it seems like a bold, if perhaps fruitless, second attempt to take on Kindle.

Times have changed. Ebooks are no longer killing print titles, at least not so overwhelmingly. The Apple of 2020 is not the same as the Apple of 2010 in terms of how many people -- and which market segments -- use its equipment.

If Apple is gambling that there are so many more people using Macs and iOS that it can try pushing its authoring tools and services again, it might be right. It might be that this time around, Apple Books doesn't have to actually beat Kindle, just provide a big enough book store that it's worth authors working in it.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I might have to look at this. This morning, fed up with How Amazon treats its customers, workers, the environment, and on and on I pulled all of my books off of Amazon. So I’m looking for a new platform. This kight be the way to go, but it’s not the only one.
    ronnxamaxOferdavenchasmlolliverjony0
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    DAalseth said:
    I might have to look at this. This morning, fed up with How Amazon treats its customers, workers, the environment, and on and on I pulled all of my books off of Amazon. So I’m looking for a new platform. This kight be the way to go, but it’s not the only one.

Interesting that if you want to join KDP Select, you can't publish your book on any other platform. And they said Apple was fixing the market.

ronntoysandme
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I have no idea why they carry on with iBooks Author. They haven't even bothered to update the name.

And yes, Vellum is the easiest way to put a great looking book on Apple Books, Kindle and Print. No idea why it didn't get a spot on their site.

edited May 2020 xamaxchasm
  • Reply 4 of 21
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Hey Apple: iBooks Author is DOA. Kindle runs on everything. Your platform is too much trouble for a very small market. 
  • Reply 5 of 21
    fumifumi Posts: 23member
    Vellum is the most over-hyped style-over-substance app I've ever seen in the publishing industry. And at $200? Laughable. It's truly been created for the Apple fan.
    Scrivener for Mac or Windows absolutely annihilates it. Scrivener does everything Vellum can do as well as being a full WP. And it costs a fraction of Vellum.
    edited May 2020 toysandmexamaxdreyfus2SpamSandwichcorebeliefsolivertwistjony0
  • Reply 6 of 21
    bvdbvd Posts: 1member
    Until Apple allows purchased books to be “device assignable” as apps are via MDM, schools will not be purchasing eBooks (which is a shame). The requirement to purchase a book for each student each year is far too exuberant. If we purchase a paper book, we can use the book year after year. If we purchase an eBook, it belong to the student and cannot be re-used, even though the student will never use it again.

Change that, and education would be purchasing all their books electronically.
    toysandmedreyfus2jsloveRayz2016dewmeolivertwistjony0
  • Reply 7 of 21
    jslovejslove Posts: 12member
    The Books app is killing print books for me. I buy printed books mainly to support bookshops, give as gifts, or to share them. Half my book-buying budget goes for e-books, and that's in EPub format whenever it is an option. I do buy books on Kindle, but only if I can't find them elsewhere in EPub format. I read them in Apple's Books app. That's entirely separate from iBooks Author; I'm talking about consumption here. I think William Gallagher (OP) undercounts that, thinks printed books still and will forever dominate. iBooks Author is a very sad afterthought; I think this promotion is about getting books onto the store that Apple Books accesses. I'm all for that.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    While I am mainly using Apple‘s hardware, I simply have no use for reference books I can‘t open on my work PC. Literature, which remains relevant for much longer, I do prefer in print anyhow. Apple could deliver the first usable ePub reader for Windows (the existing ones are a nightmare), or a browser-based Books app. Then I would buy a lot from them. As is, I see no point to pay Apple‘s book prices (which are almost always way higher than the alternatives) for something I can‘t even read where I want.
    entropys
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jslovejslove Posts: 12member
    Rayz2016 said:
    DAalseth said:
    I might have to look at this. This morning, fed up with How Amazon treats its customers, workers, the environment, and on and on I pulled all of my books off of Amazon. So I’m looking for a new platform. This might be the way to go, but it’s not the only one.

Interesting that if you want to join KDP Select, you can't publish your book on any other platform. And they said Apple was fixing the market.

There are those of us who, with reason, rejected the idea Apple was fixing the market. That charge was leveled at the publishers whom they said conspired to rig prices. Apple only had a clause in their contract required its publishers to agree not to undercut them. Bad requirement, but addressing Amazon, which was engaging in a different activity that should have had anti-trust attention. So a consent decree removing that clause would have fixed Apple. Amazon was selling books at a loss, dumping books to drive its competition out of the market entirely. Should have landed on them for that anti-competitive activity like a flipping megaton of bricks, but no, it was pro-consumer. Yes, e-books should be cheaper. The way Amazon went about that should have been considered illegal. That's what anti-trust law was *for*.
    dewmedavenjony0
  • Reply 10 of 21
    fumi said:
    Vellum is the most over-hyped style-over-substance app I've ever seen in the publishing industry. And at $200? Laughable. It's truly been created for the Apple fan.
    Scrivener for Mac or Windows absolutely annihilates it. Scrivener does everything Vellum can do as well as being a full WP. And it costs a fraction of Vellum.
    Well, if buying cheap is your main driver (which it obviously is because you mentioned it twice) then it’s not for you. 

But back to reality: even Keith Blount, Scrivener's creator says that its final output may need polishing in another app. 

Because it’s not a typesetting app, it often leaves orphaned lines hanging on their own, or worse, leaves a blank page you can’t get rid of. You could spend ages adjusting text to get the final output right, then you add one word and you have to go through the whole process again. 

Aside from giving you a really nice looking book in ePub, Mobi and Print, without having to work through ten dialog screens, Vellum also makes subtle adjustments to the spacing  to avoid the widow/orphan problems you get with Scrivener. 

Scrivener is great as a simple word processor and fantastic as an organisational tool, but for me, the final layout isn’t polished enough. 
    chasmjony0
  • Reply 11 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I have always thought Books was just another one of those products Apple launches with great fanfare and then forgets about, for years. So this is a bit of a surprise. So updating any tool that might get more books on there is a plus.

to make it really desirable though, it should make it possible to offer the books in a format that could look great regardless of the platform. Make it the book authoring tool. Be aimed at being the best at content creation, not a vehicle to try to promote uptake of the Apple Bookstore. Aim at making the best books to make money, not make books to make the best money.

As a reader of e-books, I have continued to use it, but to be honest there are some features of the kindle app that just make quite good to use, and you can often find the book is cheaper on amazon, and more likely to be available. The Books app is good too, and a blend of both would be great.  
    If the book on both are the same price I will buy the Books version to encourage its use by authors, but my observation is that overall the library for  the kindle app is better (including particularly the prime reading feature), except for one thing: you have to exit the app and go to amazon to buy a book. Which sucks, but on the plus side the reviews of readers are much more accessible.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 12 of 21
    In my part of the world, Apple Books is not even an option since they don't offer the Book Store (other than Free/Public Domain books). Kindle eBooks are also pretty much no-go since Amazon does not offer Kindle for sale either. The only viable options are Google Play Books and Rakuten Kobo (which I have not used). Considering that iTunes and the App Store has been operating for the longest time now, I don't understand why Apple didn't push for wider reach for their Book Store to the region.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 13 of 21
    michaelVmichaelV Posts: 3member
    Even with this push, I cannot see Apple challenging the dominant distributors of text-based books.

However, Apple could ‘own’ the image/media-rich book market – a premium space with no effective competition – covering a wide range of subjects from gardening and cooking to art, design and photography.

The iPad is the unchallenged reader for this market. With work, the Apple Books store could be an efficient outlet, and an author/publisher friendly space. While iBooks Author has potential to be ‘the’ publishing software for such image/media-rich books.

Mid last year, to try to quantify publisher/creator interest in image-rich books, I put ‘photography’ into the Apple Books search bar. Then noted the ‘Made for iBooks’ titles as they will be created in iBooks Author. Allocating each of these titles to its year of publication gave:
    2011 – 1 title – someone really got out of the blocks fast
    2012 – 125 titles
    2013 – 47
    2014 – 30
    2015 – 10
    2016 – 5
    2017 – 1
    2018 – 2
    2019 – 1 – to mid year

The larger totals may be out by one or two units.

These numbers reflect my experience. Initial excitement at the potential for using ibooks Author to create amazing image/media-rich books to read on iPads. Then, ongoing frustration in using the software to create books.

William is kind in his description of iBooks Author. The software’s fundamental structure is geared to long-form text-based books, yet its strength (and positioning by Apple) is for producing image and media-rich titles. As a result it is near useless for either task. After eight years there are still no layers, a new page can only be added at the end of a chapter. You cannot link or unlink text boxes. Nor rearrange pages. Audio only plays on one page. The list goes on.

Creating image and media-rich books with iBooks Author – even using templates – remains a very difficult undertaking. Design decisions and content changes that are simply achieved in traditional publishing software are extremely difficult/time consuming in iBooks Author.

Having published several books to Apple Books using iBooks Author the most practical workflow we have developed is to create/design a title in traditional publishing software – now Affinity Publisher. With the design process complete, and all approvals obtained, the title is recreated in iBooks Author – where the multi-media elements are added. Then the file is uploaded to Apple Books.

Only the most dedicated author/designer/publisher is going to invest that level of effort. Similarly, anyone updating their book has to battle this flawed software – my guess this is the main reason why most iBooks Author created titles are left to languish.

The potential was exciting.

But eight years later, I think the best we can expect is iBooks Author being left to languish as flawed software that is too complicated for general use, and too frustrating for professionals.

Worst case, it goes the way of Aperture and Apple looses the opportunity to join with authors/designers/publishers to create and dominate a whole new book market.

If Apple put a fraction of the effort and resources that they have committed to this push into developing iBooks Author as professional publishing software, and to supporting their content creators, they could jump-start a whole new book segment.

Note: As a book creator outside the US, after the latest changes in payment policy in early 2019, our effective royalty rate is closer to 58%. And dealing with Apple Finance is a nightmare. If you do get a response – follow-up emails are routinely ignored – six months after promising information an issue was arbitrarily closed without that information being provided. Apple needs to put a lot more effort into supporting their non-US-based content creators – starting by returning to a friction-less/fee-less payment system.

• Reply 14 of 21
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I have no idea why they carry on with iBooks Author. They haven't even bothered to update the name.

And yes, Vellum is the easiest way to put a great looking book on Apple Books, Kindle and Print. No idea why it didn't get a spot on their site.

Good questions seeing as Pages.app has really stepped up the feature set for us ePub authors on the Apple Book store. With a newer version of the ePub spec having seamless backgrounds before Chapters is the only lacking right now. They've done a fantastic job with Pages.app 10.0. Lots of templates to draw from as well.

And regarding the Apple Books app this newly updated set of resources [newer than the iTunes Producer set but still the same but more intuitively designed] it has nothing to do with this site and its resources update.

edited May 2020
  • Reply 15 of 21
    fumi said:
    I tried to use Vellum for over six months for print. There are so many shortcomings in that app. The preview window couldn't be enlarged. The styles were dated cookie cutter designs. There were many ways to offer more advanced customization, but the Vellum devs were stuck in old-school Apple attitude. "Sorry, no."

I would encourage anyone looking at Vellum to invest time in MS Word or Scrivener. You can get actual original design results using those apps. Vellum showed me why it's worth hiring real designers. They say Vellum is good for ebook output, but you could also find someone on Reedsy to do a preflight check. 

• Reply 16 of 21

The cost of app is $200 (ebook only) and $250 (ebook and print). That is kind of steep for some of us who publish ebooks once in a while.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    dreyfus2 said:
    While I am mainly using Apple‘s hardware, I simply have no use for reference books I can‘t open on my work PC. Literature, which remains relevant for much longer, I do prefer in print anyhow. Apple could deliver the first usable ePub reader for Windows (the existing ones are a nightmare), or a browser-based Books app. Then I would buy a lot from them. As is, I see no point to pay Apple‘s book prices (which are almost always way higher than the alternatives) for something I can‘t even read where I want.

You can always download the ebooks free of charge and free of user/device restrictions from Z-Library. You'd be surprised to see how many titles are there.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I have tried Apple iBook Author, Adobe InDesign, Scrivener, Vellum as well as several obscure apps for creating ebook. Many of them have serious shortcomings and are frustrating to work with due to their limitations. Sometimes, they don't export to epub properly (lot of inconsistencies in the final product). One workaround I've used a lot of times albeit one shortcoming: Microsoft Word and Calibre. I use Microsoft Word to create the draught version of ebook then export it to Calibre which in turn creates the epub, mobi, azw, etc. versions. Calibre does a very good job of creating epub versions. However, the only issue I have with Microsoft Word and Calibre is their inability to create the table of content with linkable chapters that allow the readers to jump to the selected chapters.

While we're on the subject of Apple iBooks and Apple Books, Apple ought to be ashamed for causing the "planned obsolesence" while promoting its committment to the environment. I learnt to my shock that any notes and highlights created in iOS devices running iOS 11 and later do not appear in macOS version of Apple iBooks app, especially High Sierra or earlier. The only indication was the pop-up warning in my iOS devices, letting me know that I would have to upgrade my Mac computer to Mojave to take advantage of "new features" in Apple Books. In order to see them, I must upgrade my Mac computer to Mojave or Catalina, which is impossible with my nine-year-old iMac (Mid-2010) running High Sierra. My iMac is running flawlessly and marvellously so I have no reason to replace my iMac with newer ones and contribute to the environmental waste.

P.S. Don't suggest the DOS-Dude patch for installing Mojave and Catalina in the vintage Mac. I tried it before, and my iMac couldn't display the colour correctly (Blue shows up as orange, etc.) due to ATI Radeon video card not optimised for Metal. ATI had the drivers that would address this issue, but Apple refused to certify them.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I have tried Apple iBook Author, Adobe InDesign, Scrivener, Vellum as well as several obscure apps for creating ebook. Many of them have serious shortcomings and are frustrating to work with due to their limitations. Sometimes, they don't export to epub properly (lot of inconsistencies in the final product). One workaround I've used a lot of times albeit one shortcoming: Microsoft Word and Calibre. I use Microsoft Word to create the draught version of ebook then export it to Calibre which in turn creates the epub, mobi, azw, etc. versions. Calibre does a very good job of creating epub versions. However, the only issue I have with Microsoft Word and Calibre is their inability to create the table of content with linkable chapters that allow the readers to jump to the selected chapters.

While we're on the subject of Apple iBooks and Apple Books, Apple ought to be ashamed for causing the "planned obsolesence" while promoting its committment to the environment. I learnt to my shock that any notes and highlights created in iOS devices running iOS 11 and later do not appear in macOS version of Apple iBooks app, especially High Sierra or earlier. The only indication was the pop-up warning in my iOS devices, letting me know that I would have to upgrade my Mac computer to Mojave to take advantage of "new features" in Apple Books. In order to see them, I must upgrade my Mac computer to Mojave or Catalina, which is impossible with my nine-year-old iMac (Mid-2010) running High Sierra. My iMac is running flawlessly and marvellously so I have no reason to replace my iMac with newer ones and contribute to the environmental waste.

P.S. Don't suggest the DOS-Dude patch for installing Mojave and Catalina in the vintage Mac. I tried it before, and my iMac couldn't display the colour correctly (Blue shows up as orange, etc.) due to ATI Radeon video card not optimised for Metal. ATI had the drivers that would address this issue, but Apple refused to certify them.
    It looks like a TOC is possible to create in Calibre, but looks a bit involved. 
    olivertwist
  • Reply 20 of 21
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    toysandme said:
    Hey Apple: iBooks Author is DOA. Kindle runs on everything. Your platform is too much trouble for a very small market. 
    There are at least 400 million active iPad users.  That's a hell of a market.