AirPods and AirPods Pro success better than Apple 'could ever imagine'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
The success of Apple's AirPods line did better than the company "could ever imagine," Apple VP of product marketing Greg Joswiak claims in a profile on the audio accessories' popularity, one that also reveals extensive resources have been put into mapping ears.

Apple's wearables division has grown to the size of a Fortune 140 company as of the April 30 quarterly results, with AirPods contributing heavily to its revenue growth. The massive success of the audio accessories have helped push the division's revenues to $6.3 billion for the quarter, up from $5.1 billion one year prior.

In a profile examining how AirPods became such a successful product, sources of Wired estimate the AirPods line contributed $7.3 billion in revenue across all of 2019, an increase of 121 percent from full-year 2018 revenues believed to be around $3.3 billion.

The initial five-minute appearance during Apple's September 2016 event caught the attention of many customers, despite the relatively short introduction. "It was almost like wildfire how quickly it spread," Greg Joswiak said. "It's done even better than we could ever imagine."

On the subject of their cordless construction, Joswiak claims Apple "had a vision for our wireless future for many years" ahead of the creation of AirPods. "We had this incredible wireless product, the iPhone, and yet what began to feel odd is when you saw somebody using wired headphones. Right then you thought, why would to attach the wire?"

The report touches upon Apple's continuation of research it performed with Stanford University to improve the fit of its existing earphones for EarPods. Following that product's launch, Apple continued its research, mapping ears to create a more accurate model for the AirPods Pro.

"We had done work with Stanford to 3D-scan hundreds of different ears and ear styles and shapes in order to make a design that would work as a one-size solution across a broad set of the population," Joswiak admitted. "With AirPods Pro, we took that research further - studied more ears, more ear types. And that enabled us to develop a design that, along with the three different top sizes, works across an overwhelming percentage of the worldwide population."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    I thought my original APs were great, and then I got the APP for my birthday, really enjoying them as well. Our bedroom has an AC air-intake as well as a white noise machine, and when I watch a show in bed w/ the APP the noise cancelation renders them silent, allowing me to keep the volume lower, which is better for hearing. I still use my APs too tho, on walks and whatnot where I want to hear my surroundings too.

I've noticed in the age of corona virus home-broadcasting, that many correspondents are using APP as their mic & earpiece. 
    edited May 2020 firelockdewmeronnBart Yjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    If you research, AirPods are Apples 2nd most successful product in Apple's history.

But Apple died with Steve Jobs, Apple isn't innovative anymore and fire Cook. etc. etc.
    flyingdpronnStrangeDaysJapheymark fearingchasmBart Ylamboaudi4ivanhRayz2016
  • Reply 3 of 27
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    And all that 'ear shape' research will be stolen by Chinese knock off companies that will sell a version for $29.
    lkruppStrangeDaysBeatscaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    doggonedoggone Posts: 379member
    AirPods were a godsend to me.  I had gone through multiple wireless headsets over the years with either them breaking down or the battery dying.  Even when I found a robust pair (Jaybirds) the sound was never perfect since the fit was always hard to get right.  The sound I get in the standard AP is very close to what I would expect from regular sound systems and very consistent.

The charging case was a brilliant idea and ensures that the AP are always charged.  I don't know how many times I had gone for a run in the past only for the sound to die because I had forgotten to charge the headset.  My original V1 AP are still working though the batteries only last for an hour now.  

I will probably buy the AirPod Pros in the next few months and the noise cancelling feature will be useful when flying.  I currently use Bose headphones when flying but they are bulky.
    mark fearingBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I've never even tried the regular Air Pods before, but I'm liking my AirPods Pro in the few months since I've been using them.

Sometimes I don't even listen to music on them. I can be walking outside, and I'll just have them in my ears with zero music and with the noise cancellation on. It works really well for filtering out all sorts of sounds from outside world. It's like my own personal mute button, and I can instantly turn the volume down on anything, whenever I feel like it. It's also real quick to turn that feature on and off when necessary. Of course, somebody should always be aware of their surroundings, especially when using them outside.

I haven't tried them on a plane yet, as there hasn't been that much travel happening recently, for obvious reasons, but I imagine that they'll work very nicely there too for filtering out the plane noise.

They also work really well for filtering out any annoying people. I was standing in a line recently, and I really wasn't interested in listening to the low IQ conversation that a few people standing next to me were having, plus one of the people had a really annoying sounding voice, so I merely squeeze my AirPod stem and presto! That person is muted, as if they don't even exist! It's like blocking somebody on a forum, except you can do it in real life.
    edited May 2020 JapheyBart Yjdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
     by far the best product of the post Steve Jobs era 
    elijahgBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    Beats said:
    If you research, AirPods are Apples 2nd most successful product in Apple's history.

But Apple died with Steve Jobs, Apple isn't innovative anymore and fire Cook. etc. etc.
    ?
    Beatsrollerskater
  • Reply 8 of 27
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Beats said:

?
    I think he forgot the /s tag...
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    j2fusion said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Beats said:

?
    Or thought it was obvious enough...
    Japheyjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    mark fearingmark fearing Posts: 420member
    Got them right away and was so impressed. My daughter hadn't heard of them yet...but it didn't take long to adopt them as well. Really nice product. Simple, smart, 'just works'. So Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Love my APP for daily use, but when I hit the gym I changed to my Beats Pro....it stayed in your ears no matter how you worked out hard
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Fatman said:
    And all that 'ear shape' research will be stolen by Chinese knock off companies that will sell a version for $29.
    Actually, if past history is any indicator, it will probably be handed to them by the Dean of Harvard.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    dinkydogsdinkydogs Posts: 21member

I still use my APs too tho, on walks and whatnot where I want to hear my surroundings too.

Why not just use your airpods pro with transparency mode turned on?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    CloudTalkinCloudTalkin Posts: 916member
    dinkydogs said:

I still use my APs too tho, on walks and whatnot where I want to hear my surroundings too.

Why not just use your airpods pro with transparency mode turned on?
    He's doing it the right way imo.  Splitting the usage across 2 sets of headphones allows the battery life to be extended beyond the approx. 18 month time frame when the shortened battery life seems to become really noticeable.  That 18 months is just an anecdotal number based on my personal environment.  Most people I know who have degraded battery life have had their AirPods  about a year and a half.
    edited May 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 27
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Fatman said:
    True, except when you try and call them because they quit working.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    doggone said:
    AirPods were a godsend to me.  I had gone through multiple wireless headsets over the years with either them breaking down or the battery dying.  Even when I found a robust pair (Jaybirds) the sound was never perfect since the fit was always hard to get right.  The sound I get in the standard AP is very close to what I would expect from regular sound systems and very consistent.

The charging case was a brilliant idea and ensures that the AP are always charged.  I don't know how many times I had gone for a run in the past only for the sound to die because I had forgotten to charge the headset.  My original V1 AP are still working though the batteries only last for an hour now.  

I will probably buy the AirPod Pros in the next few months and the noise cancelling feature will be useful when flying.  I currently use Bose headphones when flying but they are bulky.
    You won’t be sorry!  I love my AirPods Pro
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    bageljoey said:
    j2fusion said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Beats said:

?
    Or thought it was obvious enough...

Yes the last sentence was too obvious. But this has me thinking, can AirPods outsell iPhone? Crazy thought but not unrealistic.
  • Reply 18 of 27

Fatman said:

Your comment is too late.

"THEY LOOK NOTHIN LIKE AIRPODS BRO!" "THE CASE IS ONE SHADE DIFFERENT FROM WHITE!" "THE MARKETING PHOTOS ARE 2 MILLIMETERS OFF!!"

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Seems only yesterday that according to the pundits Apple, by removing the wired earphone plugs sockets from  iPhones ensured its doom.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MacPro said:
    Seems only yesterday that according to the pundits Apple, by removing the wired earphone plugs sockets from  iPhones ensured its doom.
    Been going on for decades now. Latest mega-thread on the Apple discussion forums is about how users are abandoning Apple in droves because they can’t turn off two factor  authentication. I shit you not. And no one, I mean NO ONE, is using the Apple Card because you can’t download transactions into Quicken or Mint or Banktivity, etc. Like the headphone jack, people latch onto something and make it their mission in life to blow it up into a massive failure that will surely result in Apple’s demise. I fondly remember John C Dvorak (the loudmouthed tech curmudgeon) pleading for Apple to cancel the iPhone project before it suffered public ignominy and disgrace.
    tmaywatto_cobra