Okay to leave iTunes on overnight?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi-

I've got a 600 MHz iMac. Is it okay for me to fall asleep listening to iTunes? I know it's no problem from time to time, but on a regular basis, is this too much? I have it set so the screen sleeps, but I'm not sure what this means. Is the screen really asleep, or is it just blacked out (in other words, is the backlighting on or not?). Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    this is alright.

you can also set your mac to go to sleep after an hour, for example.

If you're using MacOS X, open your System Preferences, then go to 'Energy Saver'.

HTH
  • Reply 2 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    You have nothing to worry about. It won't kill your computer or anything. If you do want the computer to go to sleep, just do what defiant suggested, but I've left my cube running everyday for 2 years and haven't had a single problem.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    Cool, thanks guys.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Yes it will be fine but on a side thread jacking note:

I tested a couple of times how much stress my computer could take for how much time. I compilied a bunch of apps at the same time to get my CPU load at 200% it stayed up for 3 days before overheating with a dual 533 stock as far as cooling goes...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Yes it will be fine but on a side thread jacking note:

I tested a couple of times how much stress my computer could take for how much time. I compilied a bunch of apps at the same time to get my CPU load at 200% it stayed up for 3 days before overheating with a dual 533 stock as far as cooling goes...

Really?? It overheated? Wow. Anyway, I keep my iMac running SETI 24/7, and load averages tend to be right around 2.00. Never had any problems myself.

Mac OS X is made to be like this. My one PC friend often says that his computer gets messed up, and it just takes a restart to fix it. Just yet another perk of having a Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Well, lesson learned!

last night I dropped off to sleep listening to some very chill ambient from Astreaux World. I had set my iMac to shut down at 3 AM.

So at 2:45 AM, I am violently awakened by a computerized female voice shouting "Warning! Computer will shut down in 15 minutes!" Needless to say, I had no idea what the hell was going down. Only until I was completely awake did I figure it out, and then I was awake another half hour.

Tonight I will disable the warning feature.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Really?? It overheated?

Well its hard to say I was not testing the temp, this was for personall amusment nothing technical in the tests or controlled for that matter.

It could have kept going but this is my only computer, really, so i would try and do something after a couple days of 200% CPU load and I would get a Kernel Panic.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    NO DONT DO THAT!

it will %4adfe4a*5dsf4a

vB error - Line 197 user/admin/dev/post/xtx

• Reply 9 of 13
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
  • Reply 10 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

Well, lesson learned!

last night I dropped off to sleep listening to some very chill ambient from Astreaux World. I had set my iMac to shut down at 3 AM.

So at 2:45 AM, I am violently awakened by a computerized female voice shouting "Warning! Computer will shut down in 15 minutes!" Needless to say, I had no idea what the hell was going down. Only until I was completely awake did I figure it out, and then I was awake another half hour.

Tonight I will disable the warning feature.

That's funny! But, you don't have to have it shut down. Just let it go to sleep. It's the same to your computer components and it makes getting up and running faster.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I guess that brings up another question - is sleep all the iMac needs? I never shut down my old PowerBook 520. It would be in sleep mode for months and months. But my Mac OS9 Bible says I should shut it down once a day. Any point in doing that?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Not unless your machine has wake-from-sleep problems.

Besides, if you shut it down, you can never brag in the "Post your uptime" threads.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

I guess that brings up another question - is sleep all the iMac needs? I never shut down my old PowerBook 520. It would be in sleep mode for months and months. But my Mac OS9 Bible says I should shut it down once a day. Any point in doing that?

the only reason u should ever shut down (or restart) is if there is some kind of nuclear strike, your life is nearing an end, and you want one last chance to see what the mac startup sequence is like. or if u install something that requires a restart.