Entire 'iPhone 12' & 'iPhone 12 Pro' lineup specs detailed

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2020
A prolific leaker has revealed pricing, specs, and camera information spanning the entire 2020 "iPhone 12" and "iPhone 12 Pro" lineup expected in the fall.

"iPhone 12" renders from a combination of leaked CAD designs and allegedly leaked information

Rumors about the fall 2020 iPhone refresh have pointed to Apple offering up to four models, spread across standard "iPhone 12" and higher-level "iPhone 12 Pro" tiers, with differing display sizes and other features. In the latest supposed leak, Apple may make the "iPhone 12" the cheapest flagship model at launch in years, aside from the iPhone SE.

According to sources of prominent leaker Jon Prosser in a video published on Monday, Apple will be offering two "iPhone 12" models and two "Pro" versions, with one of each being a larger "Max" variant. The standard tier will have 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch OLED displays made by BOE, while the Pro models will have 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch screens made by Samsung and will feature a 10-bit color depth.
iPhone 12
iPhone 12 MaxiPhone 12 ProiPhone 12 Pro Max
Display5.4-inch BOE OLED Super Retina6.1-inch BOE OLED Super Retina6.1-inch Samsung OLED Super Retina XDR
with ProMotion and 10-bit Color Depth
6.7-inch Samsung OLED Super Retina XDR
with ProMotion and 10-bit Color Depth
Memory4GB4GB6GB6GB
Storage128GB, 256GB128GB, 256GB128GB, 256GB, 512GB128GB, 256GB, 512GB
BodyAluminumAluminumStainless SteelStainless Steel
Rear CamerasDual cameraDual cameraTriple camera + LiDARTriple camera + LiDAR
Pricing$649, $749$749, $849$999, $1,099, $1,299$1,099, $1,199, $1,399
The Pro models will also benefit from having 6GB of application RAM, versus the non-Pro models having 4GB. The Pro versions will also have a stainless steel body versus an aluminum body, while the usual triple camera setup on the Pro will also have LiDAR, whereas the non-Pro will have a dual-camera arrangement.

Of note in the leak is that it includes Apple's supposed pricing structure for 2020. The "iPhone 12" will cost $649 for the 128GB-capacity version, rising to $749 for 256GB, and the Max version will cost $749 and $849 for each respective capacity.

Three capacities will be offered for the Pro models, at $999, $1,099, and $1,299 for the 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB versions respectively. For the "iPhone 12 Pro Max," the same capacities will cost $1,099, $1,199, and $1,399.

For reference, the current iPhone 11 range starts from $699, indicating the "iPhone 12" will be cheaper at launch by $50. The iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max start from $999 and $1,099, so there seems to be little movement on price for the higher-specification 2020 models.

Prosser also passed comment over Sunday's report of the use of a 120Hz ProMotion display in the Pro models. According to Prosser, there is internal conflict over its inclusion, and it is likely to ship with the feature supported, but whether it will be enabled will depend on battery life.

While Prosser is new to the Apple leaks scene, he has a long-standing one for other manufacturers. He has an excellent track record as it pertains to Apple products, and has accurately reported codenames, and expected release dates of products sometimes weeks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    tommy65tommy65 Posts: 56member
    Dimensions? Any change?
    Weight and battery capacity?
    isidorewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 70
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    According to sources of prominent leaker Jon Prosser in a video published on Monday, Apple will be offering two "iPhone 12" models and two "Pro" versions, with one of each being a larger "Max" variant. The standard tier will have 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch OLED displays made by BOE, while the Pro models will have 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch screens made by Samsung and will feature a 10-bit color depth. 
    Assuming, for the sake of discussion only, the accuracy of this rumor, the question becomes whether the smaller 5.4" 12 also has a smaller case size than its 6.1" Pro sibling, or does it have the same case size but with wider bezels or a chin resulting in the reduced display dimension?

I'd normally be inclined to choose the higher end version (currently have a 256GB XS), but not necessarily if I could get a more compact phone. Cost savings would be a bonus, but not the driver.
    cornchipspock1234
  • Reply 3 of 70
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    The 5.4" iPhone would be a nice option as it's smaller / less expensive, but between the camera setup, 120 Hz display and extra RAM, the 12 Pro seems to offer more of what I'm looking for. Now all I have to do is wait until later this year.
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 4 of 70
    It would be great if at least the Pro models moved to USB-C. Wishful thinking, perhaps.
    wattoukpulseimagesbraytonakprismaticsacheron2018urahara
  • Reply 5 of 70
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    If this is true, I'd be a little disappointment that the Pro models are starting with a 6.1" screen and therefore enclosure. The 5.8" screen on the X, XS and 11 Pro were great. Those who wanted a larger screen could go to the Max versions.
    bonobobschlackbraytonakcornchipmazda 3swatto_cobraacheron2018
  • Reply 6 of 70
    I wonder if Vegas has odds on when Prosser's sources will get tracked down by Apple.
    pujones1flyingdpcornchipwatto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 7 of 70
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    This is a phenomenal line-up.  Solid across the board 

Likely the iPhone 11 stays and is reduced to  $599 ($549?).   iPhone 11 Pro gets dropped 

XR likely stays and is reduced to $499 ($449?).   It is such a solid mid-tier phone.  I can see Apple keeping it around for a long time and working the price lower.  Great opportunity to profitably grab unit market share 

SE stays at $399 

edited May 2020 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 70
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    Lots of positives in there at first glance.

If they all get the A14 and on SoC 5G, it will be a line-up that will suit many. 

Clearly, the regular iPhone 11 should drop to a very attractive price point too.

Good to see the pricing adjustments continue. 

Hope it's true. The design (iPhone 4 style) was also one of my favourites. 
    schlackspock1234
  • Reply 9 of 70
    mike1 said:
    If this is true, I'd be a little disappointment that the Pro models are starting with a 6.1" screen and therefore enclosure. The 5.8" screen on the X, XS and 11 Pro were great. Those who wanted a larger screen could go to the Max versions.
    I and others believe its the same outer dimensions but display pushed out even further
    netmagemazda 3swatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 70
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 181member, administrator, moderator, editor
    It would be great if at least the Pro models moved to USB-C. Wishful thinking, perhaps.
    Prosser has said “iPhone will be port-less after lightning, no chance of USB-C” take that how you will.
    schlackmike1cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 70
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    Thanks goodness they’re expecting OLED in the 5.4 model, I’d have to give up those blacks...
    schlackwatto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 12 of 70
    It sucks they keep making the Pro bigger....I don't want a bigger phone! POCKET SIZE??? When I want/need a bigger screen I grab my iPad
    rotateleftbyteschlackmike1flyingdpcornchipmazda 3sisidoreapplecoredacheron2018leftoverbacon
  • Reply 13 of 70
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    neilm said:
    Assuming, for the sake of discussion only, the accuracy of this rumor, the question becomes whether the smaller 5.4" 12 also has a smaller case size than its 6.1" Pro sibling, or does it have the same case size but with wider bezels or a chin resulting in the reduced display dimension?

I'd normally be inclined to choose the higher end version (currently have a 256GB XS), but not necessarily if I could get a more compact phone. Cost savings would be a bonus, but not the driver.

No, the analogy will be the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.   The existing iPhone 11 will become the (upgraded) iPhone 12 Max.

For many, Apple left a hole in its lineup without a smaller sized phone when their choices were between a Max sized iPhone Xr/11 or a smaller but much more expensive iPhone X/11 Pro.

The 5.4 inch iPhone 12 will effectively be a replacement for the now discontinued iPhone 8.  That is, they will have roughly the same external form factor dimensions while the iPhone 12 has a much larger screen because the bezels have all been removed and replaced with extra screen real estate.
    edited May 2020 mazda 3s
  • Reply 14 of 70
    StuGStuG Posts: 8member
    Hang on - the current iPhone 11 is 6.1" and is $699. The iPhone 12 is only cheaper at the smaller size (ie $649 for 5.4", but for the same size it is £50 MORE (ie $749 for 6.1"). Or am I missing something?
    netmage
  • Reply 15 of 70
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    If true, and assuming that they all have the same 5G capabilities, that makes my decision pretty easy:
    I can get 90+% of the functionality & benefit from the iPhone 12 Max as I would get from the iPhone 12 Pro Max for a LOT less money....   Oh Shit!  wait a minute!

Size wise, the iPhone 12 Max is comparable to the 12 Pro (not the 12 Pro Max)! 
    That means there's only a $250 difference (an extra 33%) between the regular and the equivalent Pro version.   That is a whole lot more doable than the current difference of $400 (57%) between the 11 and the 11 Pro Max.   Or, comparing the 12 Max to the larger 12 Pro Max the difference is $350 or 47%.

Comparing 12 Max to the 12 Pro, the extra $250 gets you:  A better screen, more memory and a better camera.
    Comparing 12 Max to the 12 Pro Max, the extra $350 gets you: all of that plus a slightly larger screen (6.7" vs 6.1").

I am thinking that, if you can afford the extra $250, the iPhone 12 Pro is the best buy of the bunch.

edited May 2020 netmagecornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 70
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 687member
    Can't wait for those flat edges.
    hcrefugeecornchipwatto_cobranetmageleftoverbaconspock1234
  • Reply 17 of 70
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Looks like it will be a hard choice for customers ... balancing price, screen and camera - but all good for Apple! Probably USB-C on all and 5G will only be on the Pro models (people willing to pay a premium for 5G service are willing to pay more for the phone)
    edited May 2020 watto_cobraacheron2018
  • Reply 18 of 70
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    red oak said:
    This is a phenomenal line-up.  Solid across the board 

Likely the iPhone 11 stays and is reduced to  $599 ($549?).   iPhone 11 Pro gets dropped 

XR likely stays and is reduced to $499 ($449?).   It is such a solid mid-tier phone.  I can see Apple keeping it around for a long time and working the price lower.  Great opportunity to profitably grab unit market share 

SE stays at $399 

I actually think the XR gets discontinued and the iPhone 11 gets discounted to $549
    watto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 19 of 70
    apple_evoapple_evo Posts: 14member
    Under-screen Touch-ID???
    watto_cobraleftoverbacon
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    It sucks they keep making the Pro bigger....I don't want a bigger phone! POCKET SIZE??? When I want/need a bigger screen I grab my iPad
    The phone wouldn't necessarily be any larger based on these specs.

Think about those rounded edges for a second. The current iPhone 11 Pro has a 5.8" screen, but those rounded edges expand out. The "footprint" of the iPhone 11 is really 6.33". 

If the iPhone 12 has flat corners and a 6.1" screen, and they're able to keep the bezel around .10" on every size, it could have the same footprint and thus be the same size in your pocket.

anyway… that small one could easily have the same footprint as the iPhone 5/5S/SE! there's your small phone my dude
    edited May 2020 SnickersMagoorazorpitcornchipmazda 3swatto_cobranetmagespock1234