MacBook Pro with 14-inch display may arrive in 2021

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Instead of a late 2020 arrival, Mac users may have to wait until 2021 before they can get their hands on a 14-inch MacBook Pro, a leaker claims.

Apple's 13-inch MacBook Pro for 2020
Apple's 13-inch MacBook Pro for 2020

Following the launch of the refreshed 13-inch MacBook Pro, people paying attention to rumors may have wondered why Apple didn't upgrade the display to a 14-inch model, as suggested in speculation. It seems that, at least according to some leakers, the wait could stretch into 2021 or beyond.

The anonymous @L0vetodream Twitter account posted on Monday about a "MBP14 next year," in reference to a new display size. Seemingly backing up the rumor, prominent leaker Jon Prosser replied with "100%," most likely as a confirmation that he has similar information.

in my dream MBP14 next year

While the account is relative new to Twitter, one that was started in February 20920, it has gained a following for making a number of bold predictions in a short timeframe. It also has a relatively good track record, having predicted the iPad Pro LiDAR sensor ahead of its release, while other suggestions relating to AirPods over-ear headphones have seemingly been corroborated by other rumors.

At the same time, while the tweet could be an indication of Apple's own internal scheduling, it is equally plausible that the leak is an educated guess. Apple typically upgrades its MacBook Pro models once per year, with a few rare exceptions, making a 2021 refresh with a new display size quite possible.

Apple also has ample opportunities to change the display, even in 2020. A version equipped with a Mini LED screen could easily warrant an early size change to go with the technology upgrade, while the supposed ARM-based Mac offers another chance for Apple to release a radically redesigned product to help developers migrate their projects.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    I want a 14" mini-LED Macbook Pro with Tiger Lake so bad, been holding out on my 15" 2014 Pro through the butterfly generation...But at that point the ARM switch will also be breathing down our necks. 

Maybe WWDC will shed some light. If they said that x86 devices will continue to live alongside them then I'd be more comfortable. 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    While the account is relative new to Twitter, one that was started in February 20920”

I guess it’s a consolation to fans of Twitter that the service will continue to exist so far in the future.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I've wondered for a while why Apple can't squeeze edge-to-edge displays into their MBPs. Must be some kind of technical reason.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    XedXed Posts: 2,561member
    I've wondered for a while why Apple can't squeeze edge-to-edge displays into their MBPs. Must be some kind of technical reason.
    They can do it, but there are drawbacks for doing it. To name just a couple concerns off the top of my head, the display lid would likely have to be thicker at the edges to accommodate the display and the structural support for the lid stress with opening and closing 10s of thousands of times, and you'd need to get rid of the camera, unless you also want to use a notch (which I'd love to see), which would also imply the use of Face ID which likely means those components would have to be smaller to accommodate the small space at the edge of the lid.

Or, even if it was all technically possible it may be cost prohibitive. We like to think that Apple uses the best of everything but every choice in weighted by cost.
    edited May 2020 fastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Too late for those who were waiting/planning to buy 2020 14.1" Macbook Pro. Now, they are forced into buying 2020 Macbook Air because 14.1" MBP screen was already baked into expectation and purchase plan. That 14.1 differentiator is not there so why pay more for 2020 MBP vs 2020 MBA for slightly more performance.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 6 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    wood1208 said:
    Too late for those who were waiting/planning to buy 2020 14.1" Macbook Pro. Now, they are forced into buying 2020 Macbook Air because 14.1" MBP screen was already baked into expectation and purchase plan. That 14.1 differentiator is not there so why pay more for 2020 MBP vs 2020 MBA for slightly more performance.
    What exactly was this ramble about? Nobody is forced into anything. either they wait or they get what's available to them if for some reason they just can't wait. Also, these are just rumors anyways. Its possible there isn't a 14" MBP in the works at all. Remember just because its posted on the internet doesn't make it true. 
    fastasleeprandominternetperson
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    macxpress said:
    wood1208 said:
    What exactly was this ramble about? Nobody is forced into anything. either they wait or they get what's available to them if for some reason they just can't wait. Also, these are just rumors anyways. Its possible there isn't a 14" MBP in the works at all. Remember just because its posted on the internet doesn't make it true. 
    The thing is, most people who are thinking of buying a base model 13” MacBook Pro probably should buy a MBAir instead and save themselves a bit of money. If the low end 13” MBP meets your needs, then most likely the MBAir does as well. They aren’t much different in performance and features. Battery life might be the only consideration for a MBP.

But anyone who “baked in” a decision based on an Apple rumor needs to spend a little time looking at the history of Apple rumors. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    litolooplitoloop Posts: 96member
    the waiting game again then.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Yes, I’m waiting until 14’ LED WiFi 6 with 6 core processors.  My 2013 mbp works fantastic.