Apple Pay boosts contactless payments in Australia

Posted:
in iOS
Apple is helping banks and financial institutions push contactless payments in Australia, a report claims, with Apple Pay continuing to be the largest non-bank contactless mobile payment service in the country for another year.

Westpac, the second-largest bank in Australia, became the last of the country's "big four" banks to support Apple Pay on April 27, but it seems that Apple has already achieved a significant rate of adoption through other providers. According to a report from market research firm Roy Morgan, Apple Pay is already the most popular service among mobile-based payment systems.

Approximately 10.8% of Australians use contactless mobile payment services not created by banks, such as Apple Pay and Google Pay, a figure that has risen from 7.1% measured in 2019, the report claims.

Of the services being used, Apple Pay is the most popular, with 6.5% of people using it in Australia, up from 4.1% one year prior. In second place is Google Pay at 4.1%, itself seeing a rise from 3.6% in 2019, while Samsung Pay remains unchanged from year to year at 1% adoption.

Users of non-bank contactless mobile payment systems in Australia (via Roy Morgan)
Users of non-bank contactless mobile payment systems in Australia (via Roy Morgan)

Part of the more recent trend helping contactless payments is the coronavirus pandemic, which has made hygiene an important element of daily life for many people. "Many retailers are requesting contactless payment be used rather than handling cash to reduce the opportunities for passing on COVID-19," said Roy Morgan CEO Michelle Levine.

Levine suggests the use of contactless mobile payment services was rapidly increasing ahead of COVID-19's spread. "For many people this means 'tap-and-pay' with a bank-issued card, but more than one in ten Australians now use one of the contactless payment services offered by big tech companies."

The report also points out there are chances for tech firms to increase their market share in the country due to the health risks associated with cash and physical card payments.

"At a time when all Australians are being encouraged to social distance and hand-sanitize to prevent the spread of the deadly COVID-19 coronavirus, there are clear benefits for many people, particularly older Australians and those suffering from a pre-existing serious illness, to increase their usage of safer contactless payment services."
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Part of the more recent trend helping contactless payments is the coronavirus pandemic, which has made hygiene an important element of daily life for many people. 
    I guess if anything can help push the adoption of contactless payments it’s this. I’m surprised more people aren’t using Apple Pay, et al, just in general and I’m frustrated that more retailers don’t accept it. 

I ordered pizza yesterday from a shop I always use Apple Pay at. They recently changed locations and it was my first time going to the new one. I was happy to see they require masks for all customers and employees. Better than that, they had their Square reader in a table about 10’ from the register and were putting pickup items on a shelf. I didn’t need to touch anything accept the door and the pizza box. 

On the flip side, the Mobil gas station in town accepts Apple Pay at the pump, which is great. The issue is after holding my watch to the reader I’m still forced to tell them if I’m using credit or debit, then enter my zip code, then decline a car wash, all using the touch controls on the pump. Of course, I still have to handle the nozzle and choose a grade of fuel. 

I’m curious if all that extra interaction is actually necessary. When I go to the grocery store all I do is hold my watch to the terminal and I’m done. If a small, local grocery chain can do it right I don’t see why a huge company with thousands of locations can’t. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Will the new normal of societal germophobia finally be the catalyst that finally propels contactless payment to the forefront?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I love the redesign AI webpage including dark mode! Great job! Better font readability and responsive, too! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    A local ice cream shop just opened up for pick-up orders. Interestingly, this place was virulently “cash only” for years before this and is now “credit card only.”  
    I went the first day they opened back up and pulled out my watch to pay. The guy was totally flummoxed.  “Sorry, we can’t do that.” I pointed out that the card reader indicated that it takes contactless payment and walked him through paying with my watch. 

Anecdotal, sure. But anything that pushes the ball further down the hill the better!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ihatescreennames said:
    Min the flip side, the Mobil gas station in town accepts Apple Pay at the pump, which is great. The issue is after holding my watch to the reader I’m still forced to tell them if I’m using credit or debit, then enter my zip code, then decline a car wash, all using the touch controls on the pump. Of course, I still have to handle the nozzle and choose a grade of fuel. If you download the Mobile/Exxon Speed Pass App, you can authorize the pump without having to touch anything. At that point, just have to grab the handle to pump the fuel. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I don’t understand why the hold out companies, Walmart, Home Depot, & Lowe’s to name a few, haven’t activated contactless payments. Yes I know Walmart has “Walmart Pay” but seriously how many people actually use it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    I don’t understand why the hold out companies, Walmart, Home Depot, & Lowe’s to name a few, haven’t activated contactless payments. Yes I know Walmart has “Walmart Pay” but seriously how many people actually use it?
    The articles below are several years old. Most everyone now accepts ApplePay except for the big three you mentioned. I don't see Walmart ever doing so. I expect HD and/or Lowes to eventually accept it.

watto_cobra