Updated SteelSeries Nimbus+ offers 50 hours of iPhone gaming

Posted:
in General Discussion
Game accessory producer SteelSeries has updated its Nimbus wireless controller, with the MFi-certified Nimbus+ boasting a 50-hour battery life and a mount for an iPhone for extended gaming sessions on the move.

A refresh of the original Nimbus, the Nimbus+ Wireless GamePad Controller brings the SteelSeries accessory in line with current MFi specifications for wireless connectivity and pairing. It also takes advantage of other MFi features such as controller-supported game discovery, optimized button mapping, and fast re-connections with an iPhone or iPad.

The 50 hours of battery life is a 10-hour increase from the 40 hours offered by the first Nimbus. The Nimbus+ can be recharged via a convenient Lightning port at the top of the unit, between the shoulder buttons.

One big change as part of MFi is the introduction of clickable joysticks, a feature that is common on traditional console game controllers where pressing one of the two joysticks in counts as a button press. This adds two more buttons on top of the existing four main buttons, directional pad, home and menu buttons, shoulder buttons, and triggers.

The latest model also includes the Nimbus+ iPhone Mount in the box, allowing for an iPhone to be attached to the controller directly. Away from the iPhone, the controller is compatible with the iPad, Apple TV, and Mac, so it can be used to play Apple Arcade titles across Apple's ecosystem.

The SteelSeries Nimbus+ is available to purchase from Apple.com for $69.99, with SteelSeries' own store stocking it from May 26.
cgWerks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    CloudTalkinCloudTalkin Posts: 916member
    Nimbus might be in a little pricing pickle.  XB and PS controller compatibility is a beast.  Competing against better controllers and charging more isn't really what I would describe as a recipe for success.  I wish them all the best.
    razorpitcgWerks
  • Reply 2 of 7
    marc gmarc g Posts: 65member
    I can’t even find it listed on the steelseries website or on Apple. 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Nimbus might be in a little pricing pickle.  XB and PS controller compatibility is a beast.  Competing against better controllers and charging more isn't really what I would describe as a recipe for success.  I wish them all the best.
    The PS4/XB1 gen controllers aren't better. I have the first generation Nimbus and the battery life is vastly superior compared to the PS4. Sony also used a material for the nubs of the analog sticks that disintegrates over time. Never had that issue with the Nimbus. 
    watto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Looks nice to be honest, but gaming on iPhone is kinda weird.
    razorpit
  • Reply 5 of 7
    CloudTalkinCloudTalkin Posts: 916member
    The PS4/XB1 gen controllers aren't better. I have the first generation Nimbus and the battery life is vastly superior compared to the PS4. Sony also used a material for the nubs of the analog sticks that disintegrates over time. Never had that issue with the Nimbus. 
    I disagree, but hey opinions can differ.  I use my XB1 controller on my XBox of course, but I also use it on my PS4 and my PC.  I've never really had an issue with battery life while gaming.  I just use a play and charge cable if my controller starts to get low on charge.  I rarely ever do the type of mobile gaming that's common to iOS so I don't have practical experience with Nimbus' controllers.  I do know that charging more for a gaming peripheral that will already be in a lot of households doesn't make a good business case anymore.  It may have been fine before console controller compatibility, but now?  I don't think so.   
  • Reply 6 of 7
    CloudTalkin said: I disagree, but hey opinions can differ.  I use my XB1 controller on my XBox of course, but I also use it on my PS4 and my PC.  I've never really had an issue with battery life while gaming.  I just use a play and charge cable if my controller starts to get low on charge.  I rarely ever do the type of mobile gaming that's common to iOS so I don't have practical experience with Nimbus' controllers.  I do know that charging more for a gaming peripheral that will already be in a lot of households doesn't make a good business case anymore.  It may have been fine before console controller compatibility, but now?  I don't think so.   
    XB1 controllers are definitely better for battery life than PS4. 30 hours for the XB1 is easily 3X what the PS4 can do. Original Nimbus is 40 hours and the Plus version is 50. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    foregoneconclusion said:
    Oh, the Nimbus is well-built, no complaint there. But, i think the PS4 controller is more comfortable.

Looks nice to be honest, but gaming on iPhone is kinda weird.
    Better on an iPad, but you use what you got! Before I got my (new) iPad, I would play Minecraft on my iPhone, and it worked pretty well. You just have to be closer to it.

CloudTalkin said:
    ... I do know that charging more for a gaming peripheral that will already be in a lot of households doesn't make a good business case anymore.  It may have been fine before console controller compatibility, but now?  I don't think so.   
    Yeah, that is the problem they face. Having that compatibility is *crucial* for Apple (and the main reason they are behind on gaming, IMO), but not so good for victims of Apple's daft MFi program.

Kudos to SteelSeries for making the devices before Apple woke up, but I worry going forward.

foregoneconclusion said:
    XB1 controllers are definitely better for battery life than PS4. 30 hours for the XB1 is easily 3X what the PS4 can do. Original Nimbus is 40 hours and the Plus version is 50. 
    Curious (sorry, too lazy to search :) ) but does Xbox have the same functionality of the controller where you plug a headset into it, and then gaming sound, mic/chat comes through to you? (And, with multiple controllers, family members can all watch a movie with their own headsets.)

I had planned on moving more towards the AppleTV for a 'media console' but this killer feature of the PS4 changed that. We use it all the time, and used to have to do a lot of hoop-jumps to try and use the entertainment center with headphones.

Hmm... does that work with AppleTV (or iDevices) like that now with the PS4 controller compatibility?