Apple releases 'major' update to Logic Pro X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Fatman said:
    I’ve messed around with loops, but feel like it’s cheating, using someone else’s creation. I’m lucky that I spent thousands of hours learning how to play instruments, the most fulfilling feeling ever. I would encourage everyone to learn an instrument. I started with keyboard, learned basic theory, moved onto the foundations of sound synthesis & MIDI, and could not resist the electric guitar - thank you pagey! I wish I had all the resources that are available now back when I was a kid - there’s really no excuse why you can’t learn - the music and lessons are all free ... and now everyone has some extra time during lock down. Logic is a masterpiece of software - so much you can do with it. Keep
    learning, keep creating!
    You don't have to use other peoples' loops.
    ZepLepplinAppleSince1976jdb8167spheric[Deleted User]Beats
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Fatman said:
    I’ve messed around with loops, but feel like it’s cheating, using someone else’s creation. I’m lucky that I spent thousands of hours learning how to play instruments, the most fulfilling feeling ever. I would encourage everyone to learn an instrument. I started with keyboard, learned basic theory, moved onto the foundations of sound synthesis & MIDI, and could not resist the electric guitar - thank you pagey! I wish I had all the resources that are available now back when I was a kid - there’s really no excuse why you can’t learn - the music and lessons are all free ... and now everyone has some extra time during lock down. Logic is a masterpiece of software - so much you can do with it. Keep
    learning, keep creating!

you can record your own 'loops' and play with arrangements. its not only about using someone else's parts. 
    AppleSince1976jdb8167fastasleepspheric[Deleted User]
  • Reply 23 of 64
    FCPX 10.5 COMING
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 24 of 64
    dysamoria said:
    Oh finally a new GUI for EXS24? Cool. But...

As predicted: Apple dropped Sierra and High Sierra support for Logic. I’m sort of surprised they didn’t also drop Mojave support.

None of my Macs support Mojave. They are already hacked to run unsupported High Sierra and can’t go further to Mojave.

Sigh.

Then there’s the remote app, with no support for iOS 12, which I’m still on because iOS 13 is reportedly sluggish on iPhone 6s and iPad Pro first generation.

Sigh.

The push to buy new hardware continues... and I’m poor as dirt.

Even if I weren’t poor, Apple don’t give a damn about me being a customer unless I’m also wealthy. Buy a new phone every three years to be safe. Buy a new Mac every six years or less.

No!

I’ve been saving tax rebates to buy a new Mac Pro to replace both my old Macs and my old PC, and then Apple went and changed the introductory price of the Mac Pro to frelling $6000, twice what it used to start at, and all non-plutocrats who can’t afford an overkill machine are expected to keep using storage & RAM-unupgradable & thermally deficient all-in-one laptops, iMacs, or similarly stupidly compact & unupgradable Mac Mini (while also suffering whatever display incompatibilities there are with third party displays because Apple only makes a $5000 display now).

Apple won me over in 2008. In 2013, that Apple ceased to be. I still hate Windows and PCs more, but WTF am I supposed to do? Just keep buying thermally-insufficient, high-cost second-hand machines that last a shorter time due to the constant upgrade cycle push via an expiring ecosystem?

Having a fully-operational Apple device ecosystem is impossible for longer than a couple years. For example: if I upgrade to iOS 13, iCloud Safari sync will break for me because I can’t uograde to Mojave on my Macs.

This is shit. I don’t know where else I can go because I DESPISE Windows and PCs. Dog damn you, Apple.
    I am in the same boat, hardware-wise. I can't just download LPX 10.5 to participate in this particular round of "New Hotness". But there really is a way... with few exceptions, you should be able to upgrade pretty much any reasonably modern Mac (back to about 2008) to at least Mojave with the most-excellent DOSDude's tools. Here's the one for Mojave:

http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

I have no affiliation with him; but I have used his tools on multiple Macs, and can attest for their ease-of-installation and perfect performance. I would even go so far as to strongly suggest you click his "Donate" button...

Now, to address the underlying issue: Which is the "correct" thing to do? Continually hobble macOS and Applications with ever-increasing layers of "compatibility" wedges, alternate Frameworks, and other workarounds? This is what got Windows to the point where it was an completely unstable, insecure, teetering stack of swiss-cheese. Or, move the OS, its Frameworks, and Applications forward, taking advantage of more efficient, stable and faster operation, and even features simply not possible with existing macOS versions and/or Frameworks?

Fortunately, IMHO, Apple chose the correct path.

And keep in mind: It isn't like your LPX 10.4.x or iOS 12-compatible Logic Remote is going to suddenly stop working today. They are still the same awesome tools you enjoyed 10 seconds before you were aware of this Update, and still have many hours of enjoyable and reliable service to give!

The new Mac Pro is so expensive because it is so advanced. It is far and away more computer than its immediate ancestor. In fact, a 2019 16" MacBook Pro with an 8-core 2.4 GHz/5.0 GHz i9 is likely faster than a previous-generation Mac Pro, and is a damn sight easier to haul to a live recording session! And it is essentially comparable in price to the previous Mac Pro, too.

As for displays, the reason why Apple got out of the sturm and drang display business, is that there was no longer enough distinction between what they could do vs. other display companies at a given price point, and so their display business slowly became non-profitable. But considering that a MacBook Pro can:

Simultaneous support full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• Up to two displays with 6016‑by‑3384 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
    • Up to four displays with 4096‑by‑2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
    I wouldn't sweat the display capabilities...

But no reason to be mad; advancement and eventual obsolescence is simply the way of "tech". It isn't usually an evil conspiracy (other than people like Sonos; who intentionally bricked their older devices!).

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/sonos-kills-off-its-controversial-and-device-bricking-recycle-mode

Having said all this; I'd tough it out until the USB-4 equipped Macs come out (next year, likely). They will support the new DisplayPort 2.0. That will give you up to 16k displays (!!!)
    edited May 2020 jdb8167fastasleepfahlmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 64
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    GREAT!!! Apple keeps coming with the FREE hits!! Thankfully I switched from PT years ago and haven't missed it.

EXS24 was HIDEOUS. I don't use it because it's an eyesore (a leftover design from eMagic?)

dysamoria said:

As predicted: Apple dropped Sierra and High Sierra support for Logic. I’m sort of surprised they didn’t also drop Mojave support.

None of my Macs support Mojave. They are already hacked to run unsupported High Sierra and can’t go further to Mojave.

Sigh.

Then there’s the remote app, with no support for iOS 12, which I’m still on because iOS 13 is reportedly sluggish on iPhone 6s and iPad Pro first generation.

Sigh.

The push to buy new hardware continues... and I’m poor as dirt.

Even if I weren’t poor, Apple don’t give a damn about me being a customer unless I’m also wealthy. Buy a new phone every three years to be safe. Buy a new Mac every six years or less.

No!

I’ve been saving tax rebates to buy a new Mac Pro to replace both my old Macs and my old PC, and then Apple went and changed the introductory price of the Mac Pro to frelling $6000, twice what it used to start at, and all non-plutocrats who can’t afford an overkill machine are expected to keep using storage & RAM-unupgradable & thermally deficient all-in-one laptops, iMacs, or similarly stupidly compact & unupgradable Mac Mini (while also suffering whatever display incompatibilities there are with third party displays because Apple only makes a $5000 display now).

Apple won me over in 2008. In 2013, that Apple ceased to be. I still hate Windows and PCs more, but WTF am I supposed to do? Just keep buying thermally-insufficient, high-cost second-hand machines that last a shorter time due to the constant upgrade cycle push via an expiring ecosystem?

Having a fully-operational Apple device ecosystem is impossible for longer than a couple years. For example: if I upgrade to iOS 13, iCloud Safari sync will break for me because I can’t uograde to Mojave on my Macs.

This is shit. I don’t know where else I can go because I DESPISE Windows and PCs. Dog damn you, Apple.

Of all articles where you could have bashed "greedy Apple" you chose a Logic upgrade one?!!!

You realize Logic is the most generous product Apple has given us??? Yesterday for fun I looked up Pro Tools. Still a monthly fee or $600 for the program. Comes bare bones. Logic comes with over $1,000 of plugins and FREE updates!! Who the hell gives free updates? I just paid $130 for my Reason bare-bones update.

And yeah I wish my NES console can play Switch games and mu Sony Walkman can play my iTunes library.
    AppleSince1976fastasleepfahlmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 64

mr lizard said:
    There’s nothing “professional” about the Live Loops function. It might be adequate for creating a scratch track, but it’s more a tool for amateurs and DJs.
    I suspect they added it to catch up with Ableton Live which offers the same feature. 
    sorta. Ableton is in a class all by itself. It created it, it owns it. Live Loops is laughable to even be compared to Ableton Live. Though I can see where it may eventually get to a place to compete, but light years away. 
    Have you actually tried LPX' Live Loops?

Didn't think so...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 64
    MplsP said:
    dysamoria said:

Mojave will run on a 2015 or newer MacBook, or a 2012 or newer MacBook Air/Pro/iMac. High Sierra will run on anything newer than 2010 Since you had to hack your computers to run High Sierra, you are saying that have a more than 10 year old computer and are mad because it won't run brand new software. Say what?

Or just update the "hacking" to run Mojave:

http://dosdude1.com/mojave/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 64
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    mr lizard said:
    There’s nothing “professional” about the Live Loops function. It might be adequate for creating a scratch track, but it’s more a tool for amateurs and DJs.
    I suspect they added it to catch up with Ableton Live which offers the same feature. 
    Or even GarageBand.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Having said all this; I'd tough it out until the USB-4 equipped Macs come out (next year, likely). They will support the new DisplayPort 2.0. That will give you up to 16k displays (!!!)
    He's not going to buy shit, because nothing can handle his "hot and heavy loads" (those are his words LOLOLOLOLOL)  except the Mac Pro even though he doesn't have a job requiring anything close to a Mac Pro or any Mac as far as I can tell. So fucking stupid. Don't bother with the encouraging words, they're lost on him.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 64
    "hot and heavy" usually means that tracks are live and with multiple processing layers. we can compose in many ways, but when our choice of workflow/performing involves live tracking, we need to reduce buffering to the max to make vst or processed external instruments playable; otherwise the lag from the moment we touch a key string or pad to the moment its sound is heard is impractical - this is more about core speed/frequency. The amount of processing done per track (weight) is normally layered with eq/filters, sound sculpting layers, compressor/limiters, phasing, alignment corrections.. all easily adding up - especially in live/low buffering scenarios. It is very easy to crackle/burn/clip a track even on the fastest processor threads, as without further complications, one track normally gets assigned to one thread only. A workaround is bussing/return tracks, that can free up the processing layers for each track.. though it isnt the same thing, it makes a lot possible especially with processor-intensive processes. a Mac Pro can easily perform worse than many iMacs and even MBPs if we dont adapt our workflow. Naturally in multiple-track sessions, the more threads the more the machine can sustain a higher track and bus count. That is why Threadrippers are kings right now, for they manage to offer high-thread counts without much core performance compromise - all of this with fairly low power requirements and incredible pricing.. so Apple better have a new ARM Mac Pro on the line soon cause the computing value per dollar is already very subpar as it is, and looking at Intel's latest launches it is likely to get worse next year.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    I see most of the folks are in favor of upgrading to newer macs in case the existing ones do not support Logic Pro 10.5
    I would like to know are there any hardware/software limitation that a perfectly working Mac Book Pro running High Sierra cannot support LP 10.5?
    Unless there is a valid reason(hardware/software limitation), I don't see it justified dropping support for OS just two versions prior.

edited May 2020
  • Reply 32 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

There are people who are professional DJs. 
    Disc spinning and sample cueing isn’t making music.
    Yay... we have found Grandpa Simpson. 

To the contrary, DJs aren’t musicians. They’re technicians.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    You can use your own midi in live loops, to work out sequences of parts, scenes, phrases, and ideas. 

This tells me you’ve never used live loops, Ableton, or bitwig. 
    fastasleepBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Fatman said:
    I’ve messed around with loops, but feel like it’s cheating, using someone else’s creation. I’m lucky that I spent thousands of hours learning how to play instruments, the most fulfilling feeling ever.
    You’ve never used live loops, Ableton, or bitwig, and thought your comment would somehow make you seem superior to others. 

You can use your own midi in live loops, to work out sequences of parts, scenes, phrases, and ideas. 

Next time, actually use the product, instead of using someone else’s creation as a comment (as in someone else’s review of live loops in GarageBand) 
    fastasleepBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    civa said:

I used it in GarageBand and found it very limiting. But then again, I’m not a hack DJ.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    civa said:

I used it in GarageBand and found it very limiting. But then again, I’m not a hack DJ.
    Aaaaaaand....you doubled down. Why am I not surprised? 
    Hilariously, Ableton sells more copies than logic, and most Ableton users are on a Mac. 

That means that Apple, due to being able to see what’s on our machines, has noticed that even though logic is only $200, they are still having their butts handed to them by a program that almost $800. 

This, of course, prompted them to compete. 

But I guess all those Ableton users are hack DJs, right? 

I’m just wondering why you chose this hill to die on....🤔
    fahlmanfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 64

There are people who are professional DJs. 
    Disc spinning and sample cueing isn’t making music.
    Yay... we have found Grandpa Simpson. 

To the contrary, DJs aren’t musicians. They’re technicians.
    Nope, you just don’t know what a DJ does. There have been no shortage folks in the past that have held your stance as music as evolved. Rock and roll wasn’t seen as music, punk and metal weren’t music, hip hop wasn’t music and so on. And the dinosaurs that held those options are doing... well, who cares? I find it funny that after your initial claim about professionals was shown to be demonstrably false you have opted to die on “Ok boomer” hill.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 38 of 64
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    Apple tries to fill the space between top shelf DAWs and Garage Band.  If you are actually playing instruments and recording tracks, Logic is adequate.  However, most of the resources and hardware demands have almost nothing to do with recording music musicians actually play.  Personally, I think that’s the wrong space to address.  It’s sizzle instead of value.  I have 3 albums on iTunes.  I record with Logic.  I play and record gifted musicians.  I don’t make beats from samples and yell over them.  IMO Apple should focus Logic on ease of use and industry standard sound quality.  We need to reproduce the sonic quality captured at EMI, Capital, Gold Star, Record Plant, Criterium, et al.  That would be worthy of the Apple ethos.  Come on now... sling that criticism!  
    anirban747
  • Reply 39 of 64
    kamilton said:
    Apple tries to fill the space between top shelf DAWs and Garage Band.  If you are actually playing instruments and recording tracks, Logic is adequate.  However, most of the resources and hardware demands have almost nothing to do with recording music musicians actually play.  Personally, I think that’s the wrong space to address.  It’s sizzle instead of value.  I have 3 albums on iTunes.  I record with Logic.  I play and record gifted musicians.  I don’t make beats from samples and yell over them.  IMO Apple should focus Logic on ease of use and industry standard sound quality.  We need to reproduce the sonic quality captured at EMI, Capital, Gold Star, Record Plant, Criterium, et al.  That would be worthy of the Apple ethos.  Come on now... sling that criticism!  
    Agreed, they need to make the instruments sound better, have better depth out of the box rather than anemic. It shouldn't be just a bank of never ending samples
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 40 of 64
    kamilton said:
    I apprehend the point you were making until you said “I don’t make beats and yell over them” ..... You may not make beats but you are needlessly judgmental and condescending. In my experience musicians that have to crap on other peoples art are just compensating.  What you are missing is that what you want really isn’t where music is currently trending. Apple could focus on niche things like you want but that is a bit of a dead end. Instead they are focusing on enabling the creation of music that musicians are making and people want to hear.  As a guitar player I’m pretty happy with Logic and Main Stage and I accept that a huge chunk of Logic will never be geared to me but for the price it’s kinda hard to complain. Seven years of updates is pretty rad.
    edited May 2020