10.8-inch iPad in 2020, 9-inch iPad mini in early 2021 says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in iPad edited September 2020
Ming-Chi Kuo has returned with his latest predictions about Apple products, and sees a new iPad and iPad mini model coming soon, both using Apple's best silicon.

Apple's iPad Air, or the seventh-generation iPad may see a refresh soon
Apple's iPad Air, or the seventh-generation iPad may see a refresh soon


In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider TF Securities Ming-Chi Kuo is predicting two new iPads to ship in the next year. Kuo believes that the second-half of 2020 will see a new 10.8-inch iPad, and a new iPad mini with a screen size between 8.5 inches and 9 inches will arrive in the first half of calendar year 2021.

Kuo predicts that the releases will "follow iPhone SE's product strategy." Specifically, he says that the models will be affordable, and adopt Apple's "fast chips" similar to how the iPhone SE used the chip found in the flagship iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro models from the fall of 2019.

It isn't clear if the larger iPad will be a refresh of the iPad Air (possibly called "iPad Air 4") or the mainline iPad. A discussion of an iPhone SE approach suggests the latter, more than the former. The iPad Air and iPad mini were both last updated in March, while the 10.5-inch iPad was refreshed in September 2019

Apple will reportedly turn to long-time Apple supplier GIS for the touch panel.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 973member
    Looks like the 2021 mini will use Face ID so the screen can be an inch larger diagonal without increasing the physical size of the device. I’m all in for that model.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 15
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 534member
    Hmmm

    even the current iPad Pro doesn’t use the A13, so best silicon in the base level model...?

    At the moment it’s A12z, A12 or A10 (pro, air/mini, base). That base model does look like it’s due an update, but the mini already has an A12...

    I want an iPad with an A13

  • Reply 3 of 15
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,249member
    The iPad screen size creep amuses me. Just like the car industry - each new generation is “more roomy!” and then the manufacturer is forced to develop a brand new model at the same size as the original.

    Also when will screen manufacturers start using the metric system?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    anomeanome Posts: 1,479member
    hentaiboy said:
    The iPad screen size creep amuses me. Just like the car industry - each new generation is “more roomy!” and then the manufacturer is forced to develop a brand new model at the same size as the original.

    Also when will screen manufacturers start using the metric system?
    It's always amusing to compare a 60s Corolla with a modern one. I guess, ultimately, the iPhone Plus or Max size will take over from the old iPad mini, and they'll have to bring in an iPhone or iPod Nano at the bottom end.

    Screen manufacturers are using the metric system, in many markets, I think Imperial measurements are sticking around because of the prevalence of US companies selling the things, plus  some holdouts in Britain etc who still think in "the old money".
  • Reply 5 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 4,303member
    If Apple can deliver a new iPad Mini with the same or very similar overall case dimensions and weight as the 5th Gen but with an edge-to-edge screen and Face Id I'll be ready to buy one on Day 1. USB-C support would be icing on the cake so you can plug into an external dock with 4K monitor, keyboard, storage, high speed networking, etc. 

    I came very close to buying a 5th Gen Mini but the outdated design with the chubby bezels makes it feel like a retrograde purchase that I would too soon regret. Granted, the 5th Gen iPad Mini is a superlative performer and has a beautiful screen, and it's still the only iPad that I'd want to carry around with me everywhere, but there's simply no way to hide the fact that its design is nearly 8 years old at this point.

    The iPad Mini deserves more love from Apple's design studio, and we deserve a better iPad Mini, unless of course Apple is planning to keep growing iPhone Max models up to iPad Mini sized contraptions.
    edited May 2020 gregoriusmJapheydoctrsnoop
  • Reply 6 of 15
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Wanted:

    IPad SE 10.8-inch
    Processor: A13 
    Storage: 256GB
    Memory: 6GB
    Screen: LCD w/ IPS 326 ppi
    Cameras: same as iPhone SE
    LTE with 4x4 MIMO and LAA
    802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6
    TouchID

    Price: $599 (LTE model)

    Sorry Apple, all the rest of the junk that pushes the price to $1000+ not needed.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 624member
    aderutter said:
    Hmmm

    even the current iPad Pro doesn’t use the A13, so best silicon in the base level model...?

    At the moment it’s A12z, A12 or A10 (pro, air/mini, base). That base model does look like it’s due an update, but the mini already has an A12...

    I want an iPad with an A13


    The A12Z is faster than the A13 right now. If Apple made an A13X then you would probably get a performance upgrade. Single core performance is better on the A13 than the A12Z (Geekbench 5: approx. 1340 v 1120) but multicore (GB 5: approx 3420 v 4660) is better on the A12Z and there is no contest on graphics (GB 5: approx 6480 v 10100).

    The A13 might be cheaper to manufacture than the A12Z though which might make it appropriate for a non-Pro iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    litolooplitoloop Posts: 96member
    i love the mini and i look forward to this update. i hope they keep the small form factor while. increasing the size. an 8” mini with the same chin and forehead is not a mini 😬
  • Reply 9 of 15
    strikeystrikey Posts: 10member
    Am I the only one confused by the myriad of iPad models and screen sizes? I can’t keep up. It seems like really bad fragmentation. 
    chasmmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 15
    tapetape Posts: 38member
    just over here wondering how an iPad whose screen would roughly the same size as the first 6 generations of standard iPad would be considered to be "mini"
    cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 15
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,582member
    Looks like the 2021 mini will use Face ID so the screen can be an inch larger diagonal without increasing the physical size of the device. I’m all in for that model.
    Or it might use in-screen TouchID
  • Reply 12 of 15
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,582member
    dewme said:
    If Apple can deliver a new iPad Mini with the same or very similar overall case dimensions and weight as the 5th Gen but with an edge-to-edge screen and Face Id I'll be ready to buy one on Day 1. USB-C support would be icing on the cake so you can plug into an external dock with 4K monitor, keyboard, storage, high speed networking, etc. 

    I came very close to buying a 5th Gen Mini but the outdated design with the chubby bezels makes it feel like a retrograde purchase that I would too soon regret. Granted, the 5th Gen iPad Mini is a superlative performer and has a beautiful screen, and it's still the only iPad that I'd want to carry around with me everywhere, but there's simply no way to hide the fact that its design is nearly 8 years old at this point.

    The iPad Mini deserves more love from Apple's design studio, and we deserve a better iPad Mini, unless of course Apple is planning to keep growing iPhone Max models up to iPad Mini sized contraptions.
    Same here.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,384member
    dewme said:
    If Apple can deliver a new iPad Mini with the same or very similar overall case dimensions and weight as the 5th Gen but with an edge-to-edge screen and Face Id I'll be ready to buy one on Day 1. USB-C support would be icing on the cake so you can plug into an external dock with 4K monitor, keyboard, storage, high speed networking, etc. 

    I came very close to buying a 5th Gen Mini but the outdated design with the chubby bezels makes it feel like a retrograde purchase that I would too soon regret. Granted, the 5th Gen iPad Mini is a superlative performer and has a beautiful screen, and it's still the only iPad that I'd want to carry around with me everywhere, but there's simply no way to hide the fact that its design is nearly 8 years old at this point.

    The iPad Mini deserves more love from Apple's design studio, and we deserve a better iPad Mini, unless of course Apple is planning to keep growing iPhone Max models up to iPad Mini sized contraptions.
    Same here.
    I agree with both of you. It’s the iPad I’ve been waiting for. 
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dewme said:
    If Apple can deliver a new iPad Mini with the same or very similar overall case dimensions and weight as the 5th Gen but with an edge-to-edge screen and Face Id I'll be ready to buy one on Day 1. USB-C support would be icing on the cake so you can plug into an external dock with 4K monitor, keyboard, storage, high speed networking, etc. 

    I came very close to buying a 5th Gen Mini but the outdated design with the chubby bezels makes it feel like a retrograde purchase that I would too soon regret. Granted, the 5th Gen iPad Mini is a superlative performer and has a beautiful screen, and it's still the only iPad that I'd want to carry around with me everywhere, but there's simply no way to hide the fact that its design is nearly 8 years old at this point.

    The iPad Mini deserves more love from Apple's design studio, and we deserve a better iPad Mini, unless of course Apple is planning to keep growing iPhone Max models up to iPad Mini sized contraptions.
    Same here, still travel with a Mini 4, 5 would be nice but the bezel space kept me from spending more.
  • Reply 15 of 15

    tape said:
    just over here wondering how an iPad whose screen would roughly the same size as the first 6 generations of standard iPad would be considered to be "mini"
    the size is the same, the screen would be bigger by shrinking the bezels
Sign In or Register to comment.