Facebook acquires Giphy for $400 million, promises deeper Instagram integration

Posted:
in General Discussion
Facebook confirmed Friday that it is acquiring popular GIF website Giphy to the tune of $400 million.

Facebook confirmed that it has acquired Giphy on Friday.
Facebook confirmed that it has acquired Giphy on Friday.

News of the acquisition was first reported by Axios on Friday. Facebook Vice President of Product Vishal Shah eventually confirmed the rumor in a blog post welcoming Giphy to the company's Instagram team.

"A lot of people in our community already know and love GIPHY. In fact, 50% of GIPHY's traffic comes from the Facebook family of apps, half of that from Instagram alone," Shah wrote.

Giphy is one of the most popular GIF websites on the internet, allowing users to create, share and customize GIFs across a broad range of platforms, including Apple's iMessage. As part of the acquisition, Facebook says that Giphy's tools will be integrated into Instagram's Stories and direct messages, as well as the company's other apps, to "make it easier for anyone to create and share their work with the world."

The Menlo Park company added that developers and API partners will continue to be able to access Giphy's development frameworks. No changes are currently planned for how users upload or share GIFs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Great, now I have to stop using Giphy too. Is there a non-facebook equivalent?
    Gilliam_Bateslkruppmacseekerpscooter63flyingdpmike54tabarnackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I was just writing the same thing. Arrrrgh.
    Gilliam_Batesmike54tabarnackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I was just writing the same thing. Arrrrgh.
    And now we’re three
    mike54tabarnackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Crap, Another app I have to delete.  I am 4 of thousands.
    edited May 2020 mike54tabarnackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Well, one less website I'll be using.  Sad news.
    jeffharrismike54tabarnackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    There is a definite trend in the comments here.

Facebook Refuseniks of the world unite!

jeffharrismike54tabarnackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Giphy is integrated into Microsoft Teams Chat, I wonder how that's going to play out.
    cornchipmike54tabarnackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Wonder if this will kill Giphy integration in all of the apps that use it now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    AND ..... DELETED
    mike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Almost half a billion dollars for a picture service. 

Well, not the picture service; they’re paying for the ability to track millions of people through markers embedded in the gifs. 
    mike54watto_cobra