Apple starts selling HomePod in India for less than US pricing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Months after it was officially made available in India, Apple is now promoting the HomePod and directing users to local resellers where, unusually, the device is sold for below the regular US pricing.

Apple HomePod
Apple HomePod

Apple launched the HomePod in India in January 2020, making its appearance in the territory almost two years after its U.S. launch. While Apple's official site specified the HomePod was available, however, Apple India itself does not sell any products online. It also has no physical Apple Store yet, and it gave no indication of where HomePod could be bought.

Significantly, the pricing of the HomePod -- both now and as listed by Apple India back in January -- is less than the same device costs in the US. It is extremely unusual for a local Indian price to beat a US one for any Apple product. Right now, the HomePod is selling for 19,900 rupees, which is the equivalent of $262.73 US. Currently Apple sells the HomePod for $299 in the US.

For comparison, a pair of AirPods Pro that retails in the States for $249, is available in India for 24,900 rupees -- or $328.75. In India, the new $399 iPhone SE is the equivalent of $561. And the $699 iPhone 11 is what would be $902.

International pricing is difficult to usefully compare, because all countries, including the US, implement taxes differently. Some like the UK, for instance, list the local taxes in the published price. India, though, also adds steep tariffs on devices that are not produced in the region.

Typically, Apple India features a Buy button which links to a page listing local authorized resellers, and it only appears when an item is available. So, just as with the US, an announced product will get a promotion and a technical specifications page until it is actually available to purchase, and then a Buy page is added.

Despite Apple stating that the HomePod was available since January, it only added this Buy button in early May. It is presently unclear whether this is simply a new marketing promotion, or an acknowledgement that availability was delayed for four months.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod or HomePod mini. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Apple needs to rethink this product. If one could provide the smarts for a group of ‘dumber’/cheaper speakers including a second for stereo pairing and little ones for kids bedtime stories/ kitchen audio - that would at least seem like a strategy.
    kitatit
  • Reply 2 of 10
    HomePod currently costs 298 AUD from resellers in Australia, that's 193.27 USD.
    Gilliam_Batescornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    amperzand said:
    The cheapest place I know to get these is at macsales.com. Right now the white is $214.88 and the grey is a little bit more. Definitely worth it at that price.

We have two linked together and they sound great. While I wish they had at least one line-in and Bluetooth, it’s not needed in the Apple ecosystem. My biggest gripe is the software. If you’re relying on the OS to make the connections to AppleTV, iPhones and iPads, then you better make sure that works.

Ours is mostly used through our AppleTV and we have to regularly reconnect them to the device. Which leads to my second gripe. Some apps make this extremely easy (Apple’s built-in players) but others require you to exit them and go in to settings (Disney +, Netflix, etc.) unless I’m missing something.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10

I've just ordered 1 Space Grey and 1 White. I should be getting them tomorrow!!

FINALLY!

edited May 2020 dewmedoozydozencornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    razorpit said:
    amperzand said:
    Ours is mostly used through our AppleTV and we have to regularly reconnect them to the device. Which leads to my second gripe. Some apps make this extremely easy (Apple’s built-in players) but others require you to exit them and go in to settings (Disney +, Netflix, etc.) unless I’m missing something.
    For Disney+, etc, does holding the TV button on the Siri remote (the same action you would use to switch users or sleep the TV) and changing AirPlay targets from there work? You wouldn’t have to exit the app and go to Settings that way.  

FWIW, we have an AirPlay compatible receiver with multiple zones that we connect an TV in our exercise room to in order to get audio there. The method I described above is how I connect the TV when it disconnects, which is about once a week. Not exactly the same as connecting to a HomePod (because I’m connecting to a receiver) but I think it would work.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Best Buy has them $199.00 right now. Picked up another one for my new home office, which might need to last longer than originally planned.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Joer293Joer293 Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    I would have thought Apple would learn from the mistake of locking down the Apple TV 2 & 3 to just a select few apps. Hopefully with WWDC the HomePod gains a full marketplace like the AppleTV4 did.
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    mcdave said:
    Apple needs to rethink this product. If one could provide the smarts for a group of ‘dumber’/cheaper speakers including a second for stereo pairing and little ones for kids bedtime stories/ kitchen audio - that would at least seem like a strategy.
    Honestly, what is wrong with the "smarts" inside a HomePod? Have you ever used one? The one I have works perfectly fine for anything I ask it, setting timers, changing music, shuffling playlists, turning my lights on/off and changing the colors, etc. 

I would much rather it have better sound in the end than the shitty $30 Amazon speakers I know you're talking about. First and foremost, its a high-end speaker! It needs to sound like one and it does. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

I've just ordered 1 Space Grey and 1 White. I should be getting them tomorrow!!

FINALLY!

Uhg I can’t wait. Keep waiting on my old LG three speaker computer setup to crap out but it just keeps kicking LoL 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    macxpress said:
    mcdave said:
    Honestly, what is wrong with the "smarts" inside a HomePod? Have you ever used one? The one I have works perfectly fine for anything I ask it, setting timers, changing music, shuffling playlists, turning my lights on/off and changing the colors, etc. 

I would much rather it have better sound in the end than the shitty $30 Amazon speakers I know you're talking about. First and foremost, its a high-end speaker! It needs to sound like one and it does. 
    Nothing wrong with the current smarts, I just thought one would be able to drive a network of other HomePods without the A8 and probably a smaller version too. I don’t need the full audio quality for every room/use (like audiobooks for my daughter).