Apple files regulatory docs for mysterious internal network adapter [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Apple has filed regulatory documents with the Federal Communications Commission for a low-power network adapter that it says is intended for internal use only.

The filing, published during a routine update of the FCC's database, covers a low-power Wi-Fi transmitter that operates below 1 GHz. In practical terms, that likely means use of the 802.11ah protocol used for Internet of Things applications.

While most of the documents in the filing are concealed under a confidentiality agreement, a regulatory label reveals the codename "Meerkat" and a model number of A2282. Neither the codename nor the product number are currently associated with a released Apple product.

Credit: FCC
Credit: FCC

According to a Class A Justification document provided in the filing, the device is a "proprietary network adapter" that is intended to be used in factories, offices and Apple Stores and not to be sold to consumers. The letter also states that the device's purpose is to "optimize recognition or addition of a trusted device for security purpose."

Based on the information, it appears that the device in question is like some type of IoT security or authentication system to be used internally at Apple offices and locations. Like for consumer products, Apple also requires authorization for internal equipment, such as a proprietary door access badge reading system that was revealed in a 2017 FCC filing.

Update: In further regulatory filings, it has been revealed that the device sports an Ethernet port, a Lightning connector, antenna and an integrated battery. It also comes with 32GB internal storage and 1GB RAM. A filing with Taiwan's National Communications Commission, seen by Mysmartprice also revealed its form factor: a small rectangular and nondescript brick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 526member
    I’d like to see something like this for local WiFi (inside your house). Often wifi is poor in some areas. What if really like to see though, is short-range wireless charging. So your phone could charge while not actually touching the charger itself. 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    nhlfannhlfan Posts: 1member
    It's a badge reader to open the doors. Cleary visible around the store next door.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Just for a moment... I thought Apple was getting back to the router business.

one can only hope.
    entropyscornchipgregoriusmStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    JBSloughJBSlough Posts: 92member
    nhlfan said:
    It's a badge reader to open the doors. Cleary visible around the store next door.
    Interesting to me is why would they need FCC approval for a device that they’re building for they’re own building? Couldn’t they just install them? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    To keep an eye for leakers and smugglers.

Wish it was a mesh router.

mac_dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    I feel like this device has already been reported on?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Anilu_777 said:
    I’d like to see something like this for local WiFi (inside your house). Often wifi is poor in some areas. What if really like to see though, is short-range wireless charging. So your phone could charge while not actually touching the charger itself. 
    You want to see "something like this" related to poor WIFI or wireless charging, even though this has nothing to do with either? Makes total sense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    JBSlough said:
    nhlfan said:
    Interesting to me is why would they need FCC approval for a device that they’re building for they’re own building? Couldn’t they just install them? 
    No, they need FCC approval to certify that it does not interfere with existing bandwidths. 

Like others have said, it could be a reader for access to secure areas. Possibly by using your iPhone instead of a badge or keypad. After the disclosure of how long COVID-19 lives on surfaces, this could be an alternative to keypads and badges which can get contaminated. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Anilu_777 said:
    Get better access points?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mld53amld53a Posts: 22member
    DESCRIPTION OF EUT
    The EUT is a Network Adapter. It has an integral battery, two Gigabit Ethernet port, lightning connector and antenna. The device supports IEEE 802.11b/g/n radio, Bluetooth radio, and GNSS. Network Adapter comes with 32 GB memory storage and 1GB RAM.

from the FCC test report

• Reply 11 of 11
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Corporate spy-fi adapter and tracking point?