2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Rayz2016 said:

JWSC said:
    Will prescription lenses be available?
    Yes..?

Do you really expect such details to be available on an unannounced product?
    Of course not, but he brings up a good point.  The Apple Watch "just" had to displace traditional watches, but Apple Glasses would have to displace regular glasses.  I imagine that the number of people who wear glasses is much higher than the people who used to wear watches.
    Apple’s glasses are not built to replace or displace the eyeglass market. They are another wearable computing device which currently has no competition except the holo lens which is not a mass market product. This will be a whole new market and Apple will be the first to sell it in mass quantities
    If they have built-in cameras they could.

This is some seriously out-of-the-box thinking. 

I'm just not sure that I want to see the world in front of me, through screens in front of my eyes. 

But now I'm thinking about  …

A set of Apple glasses:

You open the box, pair them with your iPhone. It asks you to enter your prescription, then it asks if you have another prescription for reading glasses. Or perhaps you'd prefer the bifocal option.

And it the view darkens when you go out in strong sunlight …

Right, I think I've been watching too much Altered Carbon

The thing is, if they're sleek, you can't wear other glasses underneath them. That means you're going to need contact lenses or prescription lenses.

Wow. Loads to think about.

One step farther: you put them on and they continuously look at the image as it appears on your retina. Then using existing autofocus systems it keeps the image at optimum sharpness no matter what or how close you are looking. 
  • Reply 22 of 36
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    DAalseth said:
    Rayz2016 said:

JWSC said:
    Yes..?

Of course not, but he brings up a good point.  The Apple Watch "just" had to displace traditional watches, but Apple Glasses would have to displace regular glasses.  I imagine that the number of people who wear glasses is much higher than the people who used to wear watches.
    Apple’s glasses are not built to replace or displace the eyeglass market. They are another wearable computing device which currently has no competition except the holo lens which is not a mass market product. This will be a whole new market and Apple will be the first to sell it in mass quantities

I'm just not sure that I want to see the world in front of me, through screens in front of my eyes. 

A set of Apple glasses:

You open the box, pair them with your iPhone. It asks you to enter your prescription, then it asks if you have another prescription for reading glasses. Or perhaps you'd prefer the bifocal option.

The thing is, if they're sleek, you can't wear other glasses underneath them. That means you're going to need contact lenses or prescription lenses.

One step farther: you put them on and they continuously look at the image as it appears on your retina. Then using existing autofocus systems it keeps the image at optimum sharpness no matter what or how close you are looking. 
    Yet another step: pairing the retina scans with a U1 chip and HomeKit integration to enable smart home control just by looking at an object. Goodbye “hey Siri”.  Just glance at a tv or light switch and wave your hand or simply say “on”. 
    DAalseth
  • Reply 23 of 36
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Japhey said:
    DAalseth said:
    Rayz2016 said:

JWSC said:
    Yes..?

A set of Apple glasses:

Yet another step: pairing the retina scans with a U1 chip and HomeKit integration to enable smart home control just by looking at an object. Goodbye “hey Siri”.  Just glance at a tv or light switch and wave your hand or simply say “on”. 
    Oh I like that. 
  • Reply 24 of 36
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    JWSC said:
    Would it be possible to have digital vision correction? Enter your prescription in the settings? That would be worth money. 
  • Reply 25 of 36
    JWSC said:
    Yes..?

I don't think they would allow people to drive with electronic eye correction in some countries. The simple fact that's is AR, means that it has the potential to be distracting. Yes you might turn it off, but there's always going to be a few people using ar while driving "just to try", just like some people are still drving while texting/holding their phones.

Then there's the fact that it's electronic, so bugs/hardware failure need to be considered. Classic glasse/lens are stupid and simple, but that's what makes them so good as everydays items for eyesight. Analog is just better in some cases.

I'm curious to see what they are going to bring/looks like though.
    edited May 2020 dysamoria
  • Reply 26 of 36
    muaddibmuaddib Posts: 81member
    Having it replace my regular glasses opens up a world of enhancement possibilities.  I could 10x optical zoom in on objects at a distance, have night vision, infrared vision etc.

• Reply 27 of 36
    dyonoctisdyonoctis Posts: 49member
    If you want to look at where the future of eye correction is going, look at this :
    http://www.deepoptics.com/do_site
    https://morrowoptics.com/en
    The future isn't about a camera streaming data on a screen, but rather having lenses that can adapt. it's super cutting edge, it doesn't cover every eyesight issue yet, and the first estimate are expensive : around 500~1200 €. So if the apple glasses are going to have correction they are going to be a super luxury product.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Mariner8Mariner8 Posts: 33member
    muaddib said:
    Having it replace my regular glasses opens up a world of enhancement possibilities.  I could 10x optical zoom in on objects at a distance, have night vision, infrared vision etc.

I’ve been waiting for X-Ray vision glasses since I first saw them advertised on the inside back covers of comic books in the late 40s / early 50s.  Maybe our time has finally come!

Seriously though, the possibility for augmenting vision for people with significant disabilities is already underway ... I was a proponent of early speech-to-text tech back in the late 80s when the entry prices were $20-30K and the equipment needed a cart to move it around.  Now Siri Works faster, better and more accurately and is a built-in feature of the handheld operating systems we use every day.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Why are current headsets so bulky?  I don't really understand why two screens, some gyroscopes and maybe a camera or two require so much hardware, when (with exceptions) the processing and power and whatnot is all offloaded via a wire to a PC/Mac/PS4/whatever anyway.  Or do even the wired headsets do some on-peripheral processing?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    dyonoctisdyonoctis Posts: 49member
    crowley said:
    Why are current headsets so bulky?  I don't really understand why two screens, some gyroscopes and maybe a camera or two require so much hardware, when (with exceptions) the processing and power and whatnot is all offloaded via a wire to a PC/Mac/PS4/whatever anyway.  Or do even the wired headsets do some on-peripheral processing?
    The hololense can work without a PC. Soldiers don't run around with a surface in their backback. We'll have to wait for a comparison with the apple glasses to see if the bulk is justified or not.
    https://www.eetasia.com/hololens-2-neural-probes-and-more-at-imecs-summit/
  • Reply 31 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    dyonoctis said:
    crowley said:
    The hololense can work without a PC. Soldiers don't run around with a surface in their backback. We'll have to wait for a comparison with the apple glasses to see if the bulk is justified or not.
    https://www.eetasia.com/hololens-2-neural-probes-and-more-at-imecs-summit/
    Yes yes, I said "with exceptions".  Many (most?) other headsets are tethered to a powerful computer, and still seem to have a lot of bulk.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    dyonoctis said:
    If you want to look at where the future of eye correction is going, look at this :
    http://www.deepoptics.com/do_site
    https://morrowoptics.com/en
    The future isn't about a camera streaming data on a screen, but rather having lenses that can adapt. it's super cutting edge, it doesn't cover every eyesight issue yet, and the first estimate are expensive : around 500~1200 €. So if the apple glasses are going to have correction they are going to be a super luxury product.
    The adaptive optical lens concept sounds very promising and the price range you mentioned is not substantially higher than current multifocal lenses. The science behind this does not, at first impression, jump out as something that Apple would have a unique advantage in bringing to market on its own. If they teamed up with a company that has deep domain expertise in optics, lenses, and imaging coupled with Apple's design, packaging, and software prowess, then we'd be talking.

To me, the current state of AR focus is not terribly exciting because it is too often portrayed as a gaming technology, which I have very little interest in. But I do realize that gaming applications provide a good vehicle for demonstrating and modeling AR concepts and technology. The thing that would intrigue me more with AR are what it could do to compensate for vision issues like presbyopia and post-cateract surgery mono-vision.

Along with optical correction functionality I'd like to see real time vision enhancement to dramatically increase visual perception, for example, providing 360 degree vision, improving extremely long range and extremely short range vision, night vision (of course), object size and distance measurement, and auto compensation for both ambient and point source lighting conditions. Point source compensation could deal with the blinding effects of oncoming headlights or sunset/sunrise by reducing the intensity and shifting the wavelength of the interfering light source without completely blocking it out, so you can still safely detect objects/people between your observation point and the interfering light source. Yeah, none of this sounds nearly as fun as having a virtual dinosaur walking through your living room, but these are the promises of AR that get me excited. We can do both.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    chasm said:
    If it can double for prescription lenses...

PS. Article should make it abundantly clear that the photo used for the article is not in any way a representation of the potential product! What a dork-o-vision fail whatever that thing is!
    It’s one of the most douchey VR/AR images I’ve ever seen... and that’s saying something, because EVERY photo of a person with VR/AR crap on their face is embarrassingly stupid looking.

As for doubling for prescription lenses... Seriously? Do you wear glasses or contacts? I do, and I’m giving this idea an emphatic NO.

Also: Not only can I not afford such an unnecessary product, I also have zero interest in such an unnecessary product. I super super cannot wait until this round of the VR/AR tech fad is over... like the last two times it came and went.

It came because people believe in techno-fantasy TV/movies. It went because the tech was not ready. It probably never will be. We are at the limits of what we can do with physical materials (without insane effort and financial outlay), the quality isn’t there (graphics, displays, physical build), they don’t solve a problem people care about (they’re more like a solution looking for a problem, like Apple’s TouchBar), it’s annoying to wear, it’s clumsy to operate, it’s antisocial & tends to get banned or hated on (don’t forget Google Glass)...

...and these things look stupid on everyone, no matter the design.

There is no real win to be had here.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Jesus Henry Christ on Bicycle!
     That's a lot more than I thought they were.
    I'm with you.

PS: I always thought of JC as a unicycle guy--more show-offy, no chain to catch in the gown. etc.
    (sorry Sister, I'll just go sit in the hall now...)
  • Reply 35 of 36
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    DAalseth said:

Credit: Magic Leap
    Credit: Magic Leap

I find it funny that they used the word sleek in the title of the article and yet used these monstrosities as the picture. I guarantee that they won't look nearly this bad.

Fixed that for you.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 36 of 36
    dysamoria said:
    chasm said:
    If it can double for prescription lenses...

PS. Article should make it abundantly clear that the photo used for the article is not in any way a representation of the potential product! What a dork-o-vision fail whatever that thing is!
    It’s one of the most douchey VR/AR images I’ve ever seen... and that’s saying something, because EVERY photo of a person with VR/AR crap on their face is embarrassingly stupid looking.

As for doubling for prescription lenses... Seriously? Do you wear glasses or contacts? I do, and I’m giving this idea an emphatic NO.

Also: Not only can I not afford such an unnecessary product, I also have zero interest in such an unnecessary product. I super super cannot wait until this round of the VR/AR tech fad is over... like the last two times it came and went.

It came because people believe in techno-fantasy TV/movies. It went because the tech was not ready. It probably never will be. We are at the limits of what we can do with physical materials (without insane effort and financial outlay), the quality isn’t there (graphics, displays, physical build), they don’t solve a problem people care about (they’re more like a solution looking for a problem, like Apple’s TouchBar), it’s annoying to wear, it’s clumsy to operate, it’s antisocial & tends to get banned or hated on (don’t forget Google Glass)...

...and these things look stupid on everyone, no matter the design.

There is no real win to be had here.

Yes, I do have glasses myself — three pairs actually: long distance, near distance, and prescription sunglasses. They are all designer branded, and each cost about $500 - $1000. Oh the money and hassle it would save me to have only a single pair to worry about — always on.

Yes, in many ways physical limits have been met when we struggle to innovate. And every time we meet them, they force us to think smarter, sometimes beyond just the physical. With a digital image updated at 180 fps + retina resolution + perfect focus + perfect light conditions, I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the picture of my world far better than I do today. So many real-life problems that will be solved.

And with a light-weight, well-designed frame, I'm even thinking of updating some of my old-style glasses …just to have something less annoying and clumsy to wear …and perhaps being a little more trendy.

And I'm sure my friends and colleagues will just love me, because now I will remember their full names …and even their family members …by just reading the nice text painted on their shirt …on that virtual name tag. And getting all that supportive "teleprompter" text in the side view, attuned and relevant to our ongoing conversation …reminding me what we talked about when we last met … it will make me appear so much more socially adapted …and perhaps even intelligent.

I dont even run the risk of appearing antisocial when my phone rings, because I can handle that without disturbing our ongoing conversation …without even lifting a finger. So nice that Siri is always on …listening, taking actions, and continuosly serving me with all that visual info that only I can see.

Personally, I think you simply lack vision, dysamoria.
    B)
    edited May 2020