'Apple Glass' details leaked, will cost $499 and work with prescriptions

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    JinTech said:
    With LiDAR, I can see a new way to cheat for Major League Baseball. Have it track the ball and let the batter know where the ball will be when gets to the plate and when to swing. That would be a great training tool as well....
    Players would likely not be able to wear them during game play.

Of course, No technology is allow during the game, but that won't stop a person from trying.....

I very much doubt that the LIDAR sensor Apple ships in any Glasses will be as quick, responsive and sensitive enough to do anything like you say for many generations of the technology. For one thing it’d have no sensor for wind interference. 

It’s also pretty hard to wear glasses without anyone noticing. When Apple Contact Lenses come out then maybe.
    randominternetpersonboxcatchercornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 95
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Japhey said:
    JinTech said:
    Japhey said:
    JinTech said:
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s see if a killer app emerges that will jump start sales. In addition people are very particular about their eyewear in terms of styling. It’s very personal and I hope Apple offers different styles. If it’s a one-style-size-fits-all that could be a hinderance to adoption.
    I don't think there needs to be a killer app to jump start sales. I mean five, almost six generations into the Watch, there really isn't a killer app, just the actual hardware. Sure the health apps but that is really just taking advantage of the OS and the hardware feature set. I can see (no pun intended) the same thing happening with Glass.

I agree, I hope they have different styles. I have a few pairs of glasses for that reason. I can see them working with or licensing the lenses with a company like Warby Parker or maybe even in the future, buying them out. If this product will indeed have an option for prescription lenses, that requires Apple Store employees to have some optic knowledge.

If Glass is some how able to monitor eye health, which I am sure it will, this will be an absolute game changer in health and Apple will have a real winner on their hands.
    They already have, or had, an agreement like the one you propose...

https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/01/09/rumor-apple-working-with-carl-zeiss-on-ar-glasses-to-debut-in-2018
    Carl Zeiss make the glass (lenses) not the frames. Warby Parker does both.
    Yes, but you weren’t talking about the frames in the original post...

” I can see them working with or licensing the lenses with a company like Warby Parker”. 
    But I was, in that quote you have from me, I implied that Apple would license their lenses to a company like Warby Parker, who would provide Apple lenses with their (Warby Parker)  frames.
  • Reply 43 of 95
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    gatorguy said:
    dewme said:
    There’s more than prediction going on here. Apple obviously has an employee or trusted contractor feeding this guy internal, confidential company information. I’m surprised Apple hasn’t hired someone with legitimate experience in counter espionage to trap their internal mole and shutdown the source of the leaks.
    What makes you believe it's not an Apple-sanctioned leak? They've done so before via trusted bloggers/journalists. Considering the odd times we're in where it's difficult to build excitement over anything other than a vaccine I would not be surprised at all that this is one of those "leaks" from some Apple PR person. Reminders that Apple is still inventing, and new products are coming. 
    I have yet to see anyone reveal evidence of product leaks ever being intentional. Rumors about features to taper expectations? Maybe. But the product teams at Apple are the most secretive in the biz, and according to Gruber and all his contacts, they hate it when their products get leaked. No way would they want the surprise ruined -- especially because covid. Nope. They don't need to generate the minute, niche buzz from ultra-niche websites like rumor sites. Most of what is ever published here is never known by the mass market that is Apple's market. We're just flattering ourselves to pretend otherwise.
    fastasleeprandominternetpersonlolliverRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 95
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    gatorguy said:
    dewme said:
    There’s more than prediction going on here. Apple obviously has an employee or trusted contractor feeding this guy internal, confidential company information. I’m surprised Apple hasn’t hired someone with legitimate experience in counter espionage to trap their internal mole and shutdown the source of the leaks.
    What makes you believe it's not an Apple-sanctioned leak? They've done so before via trusted bloggers/journalists. Considering the odd times we're in where it's difficult to build excitement over anything other than a vaccine I would not be surprised at all that this is one of those "leaks" from some Apple PR person. Reminders that Apple is still inventing, and new products are coming. 
    What makes me believe it is that the leak (if true) drains 90% of the wind out of the sails of a future event. Apple is doing great right now and doesn’t need publicity month before they announce a product that won’t be available at launch. I expect that Apple execs hate when “one more thing” is perceived as anticlimactic. 
     Bingo. Exactly this.
    cornchiplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 95
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    wattouk said:
    I’m excited for this product, it would be handy with directions and other things.

Surely the only thing they can name it is iSight???
    Or inSight?...

then again maybe not after “Captain America Winter Soldier”...
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 95
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    gatorguy said:
    dewme said:
    He said Apple marketing reps were asking reporters directly if they knew who Prosser was working with. Watch the video. 
    lolliverRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 95
    sabos said:
    Did Apple learn nothing from the Google “glass-hole” debacle? The issue with these isn’t technical, it’s social. The backlash against people wearing cameras on their faces in public spaces was a genuine phenomenon and a notable Internet meme. These will get banned by businesses and in many public places where people will fear being recorded and photographed. And wearing them will create an “us against them” dynamic that will undoubtedly boil over into physical altercations. When combined with the complexity of providing multiple styles, and the high replacement cost, I think these thing have a limited future. No better than Apple Watch, and probably much, much worse.
    Didn’t read the article, didn’t watch the video, slippery slope fallacy based on incorrect assumptions.

A+ first post!
    randominternetpersonpscooter63cornchipboxcatcherlolliverroundaboutnowRayz2016Japheybeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 95
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    sabos said:
    Did Apple learn nothing from the Google “glass-hole” debacle? The issue with these isn’t technical, it’s social. The backlash against people wearing cameras on their faces in public spaces was a genuine phenomenon ...
    Did you read the article? It claimed the product would have a lidar sensor but not a camera.
    boxcatcherlollivercyberzombiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 95
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Please let this be a false rumor...
  • Reply 50 of 95
    cgWerks said:
    Please let this be a false rumor...
    ... why? All of this falls in line with previous rumors for the last few years.
    lolliver
  • Reply 51 of 95
    boxcatcherboxcatcher Posts: 267member
    I realize the leak has been reported as not having a camera, but my guess is that that means “no user-accessible camera” — so no ability to take pics (because that’s creepy AF, as Google taught us), but the device could still have a discrete, RGB sensor.

I think this is one of the many reasons that Apple has doubled (tripled?) down on its brand value of privacy.  “Trust us — the user can’t access the camera.”

Why? Because I have a very hard time believing that a small LiDAR sensor would be capable of much, especially at ranges >5 feet.
    edited May 2020 IreneWwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 95
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    dewme said:
    It’s also possible they undercut this price point so people’s expectations are exceeded at time of release.
  • Reply 53 of 95
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    DAalseth said:
    They sound very cool. However I'll wait. First gen of anything, even Apple products is where the bugs and shortcomings show up. 
    Still using my first generation iPad every day. The battery still exhibits excellent charge life.
    TRAG
  • Reply 54 of 95
    This is going to be one of those Apple products that belongs in a list along with the G4 Cube, Pippin, Newton (etc...). Well, let's hope it does because I can already see this thing making car accident rates hit new levels.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 55 of 95
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    How do they scan QR codes - as mentioned in the video - without any sort of camera then? 
    hmmm....

Also, one size/model fits all, like AirPods? Or more like AW? or several designs?
    the latter would be nice. Comes to mind a coworker who started a company that creates custom and individual frames for glasses using 3D-printing tech. Something like that would be awesome. 

Apart from that - maybe it’s my age that I’m not too upset about these leaks (I think I’d be furiously avoiding any article like this a few years ago) - or my undying hope that like always “if you think you’ve seen it, believe me, you ain’t seen it” ;)
  • Reply 56 of 95
    It’s also possible they undercut this price point so people’s expectations are exceeded at time of release.
    Don’t bloody count on it - never have I ever except when Apple started offering OS updates for “free” (of course all the devices are expensive af, so...not so free, but an acceptable proposition)
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 57 of 95
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    Don’t bloody count on it - never have I ever except when Apple started offering OS updates for “free” (of course all the devices are expensive af, so...not so free, but an acceptable proposition)
    There are countless articles here where Apple’s rumored prices were expected to be significantly higher.

I remember all the rumors of the iPad being $1000+ and CES 2010 being flooded with crap tablets all pricing their crap tablets based on unfounded iPad rumors.
    SpamSandwichanome
  • Reply 58 of 95
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    avon b7 said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    I can’t imagine a use for this. I wish they would leak that info. 
    Lots of uses for just about any situation. The key is comfort, cost and content (the eyewear needs to have data available to overlay on the scene).

The prototype leak reminds me of Eddie Hitler! 
    Could be worse. At least it doesn't remind you of Richie Richard.

[EDIT] I wonder if they'll leapfrog the companion iPhone requirement. There's no reason why, with some careful work, a cellular modem can't be put into glasses frames, with an eSIM. So, while they might require an iPhone, it will be interesting to see if they work when you leave the iPhone at home (but still connected) as with the Watch Series 3 and later.

I can see the use cases that match with, if not replacing outright, the Watch for fitness and health, so being able to wear them without carrying a phone (but possibly while wearing a Watch) would be an advantage. Even if they require the Watch to use its cellular connection, that puts it slightly ahead of the Series 1 Watch.

Just thinking aloud, really.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 59 of 95
    This is going to be one of those Apple products that belongs in a list along with the G4 Cube, Pippin, Newton (etc...). Well, let's hope it does because I can already see this thing making car accident rates hit new levels.
    AI should have its own way to tag stuff for Claim Chowder™ type posts.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I've always been against leakers and I have even suggested strip searching all workers before when many leaks were coming out of Chinese suppliers.

It's pretty obvious that there has to be some inside source or a mole that this leaker is getting their very detailed information from. How else would they be able to have seen an actual prototype of it? How many people would even have access to such a prototype?

The guy in the video said that Apple had shadow banned their podcast and that Phil Schiller had blocked him on Twitter, so I'm not buying the theory that this is Apple leaking it through a third party source. Apple would like to announce this in one of their events in my opinion.

Having said that, these glasses seem to be very interesting and the price seems to be quite reasonable too. A regular pair of glasses costs many hundreds of dollars. Apple glasses with built in tech for $499 seems to be very cheap. 

I don't know much about AR or virtual reality, but I'm not going to dismiss these glasses, because past history has shown that those who doubt Apple's new products end up looking like complete fools and slobbering morons, almost every single time without fail.

I look forward to seeing Apple actually announcing these things and hearing more details about it, but not from any leakers.

This is a whole new product category for Apple. This is big. Look at how mad Steve Jobs got when there was that huge iPhone leak a while back, when some Apple employee forgot their unreleased iPhone in a bar. I want to see Tim Cook get equally mad about all of these current leaks that we've been seeing.

I want to see raids on homes, I want to see police and the tech police busting down doors of the homes of the leakers. I want to see prison time. I want to see action.

edited May 2020 SpamSandwich