"Confirmed": New IE and MSN to be released soon

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A friend of mine attended an event in Bergen Norway recently called "mobile lifestyle". At one of the sessions a female representative from Microsoft promised new versions of BOTH Internet Explorer and MSN for the mac.

This is interesting news in times when the future of IE on the mac is questioned in rumors from sites like Think Secret .

There was no mention of actual features or product number though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Well, a new version of MSN Messenger was just released a few days ago, so the other two can't be far behind...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Well, a new version of MSN Messenger was just released a few days ago, so the other two can't be far behind...

Jon Rubinstein

Vice President of Hardware

Apple Computer

I don't expect too much from the next IE. What would the PC world do if our version was better than theirs?

I'm looking forward to the next rev of Safari. I don't see myself going back to IE...ever.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well I myself wouldn't mind a new version of Outlook Express. It isn't a bad little email program.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Ehh....

I use Camino for pretty much everything now...even online banking. I'll dl a new IE just to have it on hand...but I doubt I will use it much. And I have never used Outlook. I used Eudora for a while, and have since switched to Mail. Its more than adaquet for my needs.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Are there really still people using IE? I, personally, have never used it. I always used Netscape, when I switched to OS X about 15 months ago, I did't like netscape, so I used IE for no more than a couple weeks until I found Mozilla. I used that until Chimera came into its own. Used Chimera exclusively till Safari came out. I now use Safari exclusively. I really have to wonder why anyone would keep using IE. Oh well.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I use Safari nonstop on my PM at home and I use IE 6 on my Sony notebook. It would be nice to see a new version of IE for the Mac, but I doubt that I will be using it. Safari has really made web browsing on the Mac more pleasurable and unless IE can do it better than Safari, than I doubt that a lot of people will be using it. I remember reading a Press Release from the Mac BU last year, just before the Office X SR 1 came out and Kevin Brown was talking about the next major release of IE on the Mac is supposed to be comarable to the Windows countipart. So it will be interesting to see what comes out of Microsoft in this release.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Not interested.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

Not interested.

Sorry! Didn't mean to waste your time
  • Reply 9 of 20
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Hopefully we'll see it soon. I use Safari for most pages but sadly it doesn't work on many of my regulars. Maybe some will be fixed in next seed. Java based car configurator doesn't work nor does a big Estate database I'm using now as I'll be moving to a new house in the next few months. A page with last minute flight tickets doesn't work either.

What I would like from the next version of IE is font smoothing and more speed.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

What I would like from the next version of IE is font smoothing and more speed.

IE already does it. It has been doing it since Microsoft released IE v.5.2 in the spring of last year. Just when Apple released the 10.1.5 version that enabled Font Smoothing.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    zadakzadak Posts: 50member
    Safari may be how sweet and Macish it wants, but IE 5.5+ for Windows have several very, very cool features that the Mac really misses.

Most of them are sorta strange and smell Microsoft, but they are desperatly needed when doing Content Management System that goes beyond simple and ugly forms for input.

You may think what you want about WYSIWYG editing BUT, and this is a very BIG but, this lack of features on the Mac makes the Mac worthless for those who wants to or have to use these things. It makes me desperate.

A Internet Explorer for the Mac with a feature setup compared to IE 5.5, or even better 6.0, on Windows would be great and for some more of a "must have" than Office.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I'm not expecting IE 6 for the Mac -- rather for it be rolled into MSN for the Mac.

If it does appear, though, that's great. Can't have too many browsers.

It'll be interesting to see which Apple ships as its default browser, though.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zadak

Safari may be how sweet and Macish it wants, but IE 5.5+ for Windows have several very, very cool features that the Mac really misses.

Most of them are sorta strange and smell Microsoft, but they are desperatly needed when doing Content Management System that goes beyond simple and ugly forms for input.

You may think what you want about WYSIWYG editing BUT, and this is a very BIG but, this lack of features on the Mac makes the Mac worthless for those who wants to or have to use these things. It makes me desperate.

A Internet Explorer for the Mac with a feature setup compared to IE 5.5, or even better 6.0, on Windows would be great and for some more of a "must have" than Office.

Even if I could understand what you are saying, I doubt I would agree with you.

Barto
  • Reply 14 of 20
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

I'm not expecting IE 6 for the Mac -- rather for it be rolled into MSN for the Mac.

If it does appear, though, that's great. Can't have too many browsers.

It'll be interesting to see which Apple ships as its default browser, though.

The Microsoft woman said Both MSN and IE would be shipping soon. Sounds like there's two different products to me.

Another thing. I think you have to pay for the MSN version. Am I right?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    MSN is the microsoft internet service. It competes with AOL. That is, "Internet for Dummies" with a dumbed-down web browser to match.

Barto
  • Reply 16 of 20
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

The Microsoft woman said Both MSN and IE would be shipping soon. Sounds like there's two different products to me.

Another thing. I think you have to pay for the MSN version. Am I right?

MSN will be based on the rendering engine used for IE 6. Of course you pay for it -- MSN is a easy-to-use, hand-holdin' internet service provider like AOL.

Whether MS continues to support their free browser for the Mac while Apple has created their own, however.... seems to me a question worth asking.

If they do, though, I won't complain.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

So now I still use IE for downloading pr0n .

But tonton, I thought one of your bosses already took care of those downloads.

Personally, I still have IE on my system. I normally use Camino, Safari, and OmniWeb, in that order. I use IE as a last resort when my other browsers fail. As others have said, more competition in the Mac browser market is always good, even if it comes from Microsoft. So I will welcome IE6 for Mac onto my iBook as soon as it's available for download.

Escher
  • Reply 18 of 20
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I would assume that Safari would be the default and only browser included with 10.3, but I would probably download a copy of IE 6, or whatever the new version will be, just in case I need it sometime.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogue27

I would assume that Safari would be the default and only browser included with 10.3, but I would probably download a copy of IE 6, or whatever the new version will be, just in case I need it sometime.

I bet that Safari will be the default, but they will include IE, just to show that they are not a monopoly.