Ad review panel tells AT&T to stop using 'misleading' 5G Evolution claims

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2020
A National Advertising Review Board panel has encouraged AT&T to stop using its "misleading" 5G Evolution branding.

AT&T's 5G Evolution branding actually refers to an updated version of 4G LTE.
AT&T's 5G Evolution branding actually refers to an updated version of 4G LTE.

The carrier's 5G Evolution network, despite the name, is actually just an upgraded version of 4G LTE. In 2019, AT&T received some flack from rival carriers and consumers over the misleading moniker.

A year later, the NARB -- a division of the Better Business Bureau National Programs -- is recommending that AT&T stops using its "5G Evolution" and "5G Evolution, The First Step to 5G" claims.

Those advertising monikers were previously challenged by T-Mobile before the National Advertising Division (NAD), the investigative component of the advertising industry's self-regulatory systems and another part of BBB National Programs. When the NAD recommended that AT&T should stop using the claim, the carrier appealed.

The NARB panel said it has determined that the "5G Evolution" claims could mislead reasonable customers into believing that they're using a 5G network. The panel recommended the discontinuation of its use.

Largely, that's based on the fact that the "Evolution" portion of the claim isn't likely to alert consumers that they aren't using a 5G network.

"Thus, consumers may well interpret 'Evolution' in the challenged claims as signifying that AT&T's technology has already evolved into 5G," the NARB panel said.

The panel added that the addition of the "First Step in 5G" doesn't do much to "cure" its concerns.

AT&T said that it "respectfully disagrees" with the reasoning and ultimate decision reached by the panel. It stood by its advertising claim, but as a supporter of the industry's self-regulation process, said it would comply with the NARB's decision.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Nice. With everything else going on in the world, NARB now wants me to have slower data rates on my phone by forcing me to use an upgraded version of 4G LTE...  ;)

Personally I can't believe AT&T has been allowed to carry on this charade this long. 
    F_Kent_DCloudTalkinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    I can’t believe AT&T is actually going to comply. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 3 of 6
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    It’s either comply or be labeled as the only carrier actually misleading and/or completely lying to their customers.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    diz_geekdiz_geek Posts: 57member
    F_Kent_D said:
    It’s either comply or be labeled as the only carrier actually misleading and/or completely lying to their customers.

AT&T?  Never!  /s
    edited May 2020 razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    It took them this long to decide that the term 5Ge is misleading??? 
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Lying is profitable and advantageous... we’ll just alternative facts.
    razorpitMplsP