Apple releases iOS 12.4.7, iOS 13.5, iPadOS 13.5, tvOS 13.4.5 updates

Posted:
in iOS edited May 2020
Apple has released updates for its operating systems bringing them to iOS 13.5, iPadOS 13.5, tvOS 13.4.5, and iOS 12.4.7 -- updates that chiefly include changes relating to COVID-19 Exposure Notification.

Released on Monday, the updates for iPadOS and iOS can be installed by entering the Settings app, selecting General, Software Update, then selecting to install the update, while users with automatic updates will encounter a streamlined process. The Apple TV can be updated by going to the Settings App and selecting Software Updates, then Update Software.

Apple released watchOS 6.2.5 earlier than the other operating systems, on May 18.

The new versions arrive after four rounds of beta testing for iOS 13.5, iPadOS 13.5, macOS 10.15.5, and tvOS 13.4.5, while watchOS 6.2.5 went through five builds before the final release. The original betas for iOS and iPadOS were actually numbered version 13.4.5, but were renamed to 13.5 by the third round.

For iOS and iPadOS, the update to 13.5 largely centers around COVID-19. One feature change in the betas involved software hooks required for the Exposure Notification API, which would allow contact tracing apps to provide notifications to users.

Another change related to Face ID, and how it handled the addition of face masks to facial recognition attempts. When a face mask covering the bottom half of the face is detected, Face ID will automaticaly skip the retrying and timeout process in favor of prompting for a passcode, saving users time from not needing to wait for the code entry screen.

The update also includes an update to the HomePod. Version 13.4.5 of the HomePod OS includes improvements to stability and performance, according to Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Installing now.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kiehtankiehtan Posts: 38member
    There is also a home pod update 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    What is 12.4.7 running on?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    What is 12.4.7 running on?
    It’s for older devices that can’t run iOS 13 like iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, some iPads (Air and mini 2 & 3) and stuff like that. It’s a security update, thankfully Apple still looks after older devices that aren’t running the newest iOS.
    edited May 2020 peterhartpulseimagesspock1234cgWerks
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Covid-19 contact tracing is OFF by default on iOS 13.5. So to opt-in I suppose you need to turn it on and download an app that will use it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    lkrupp said:
    Covid-19 contact tracing is OFF by default on iOS 13.5. So to opt-in I suppose you need to turn it on and download an app that will use it.
    There don’t appear to be any apps yet in the US. At least I can’t find one.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member

jdb8167 said:
    It’s only allowed to be used by a government authorised app. 

I believe that means there will only be one in each country, and that’s only if the government uses Apple and Googles recommended solution. 
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    jdb8167 said:
    It’s only allowed to be used by a government authorised app. 

I believe that means there will only be one in each country, and that’s only if the government uses Apple and Googles recommended solution. 
    I’ve read it can be by state too. So there might be 50 apps if all states get on board.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kmareikmarei Posts: 178member
    does this fix the native mail app vulnerability ?
    talexy
  • Reply 10 of 10
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    The update also includes an update to the HomePod. Version 13.4.5 of the HomePod OS includes improvements to stability and performance, according to Apple.
    I wonder if it fixes.....you know, everything.
    dewme