'The Joe Rogan Experience' to ditch Apple Podcasts, YouTube for Spotify

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    rayboraybo Posts: 42member
    razorpit said:
    I wonder how much the recent censorship YouTube has been doing played a part in this decision?
    Zero. Anti-vaxxers, racists, and nutjobs aren't a market anybody cares about.
    You're not describing Joe Rogan, who is the best interviewer this century. He can talk intelligently with anyone, from any background...and he is the most popular interviewer in history. He actually lets his guests talk, unlike other hosts who feel the need to keep the spotlight.
    chemengin1razorpittoysandme
  • Reply 22 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There’s a gold rush going on for the most popular podcasts right now. There’s no reason Apple couldn’t spend a little and lock up some talent and shows in exclusives also.
    razorpit
  • Reply 23 of 38
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    razorpit said:
    I wonder how much the recent censorship YouTube has been doing played a part in this decision?
    I wish you were right about that, but it would appear that about 35-40 percent of America falls into at least one of those categories.

As for the story, I'm not a JR fan so I haven't listened to the podcast. As others have stated I'd prefer there weren't these exclusives among podcasts -- it's better for the entire podcast ecosystem not to have a "content" war IMO -- and I find it ironic that Joe signed up with a company that has yet to turn a profit. One of the nice things about podcasts is that nearly 100 percent of them are free and available from whichever outlet floats your boat. I fear a "content war" could hurt podcasts generally, and I suspect that this might actually hurt Mr. Rogan in the long term the same way it did Howard Stern (oh he still has an audience, of course, but nowhere near the size he did on terrestrial radio).

TL;dr -- Greed and capitalism is why we can't have nice things.
    edited May 2020 cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 38
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    Who? Never heard of the guy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    sunman42 said:
    Who? Never heard of the guy.
    mike54 said:
    Not interested in Joe Rogan, and certainly will not be interested in content from a podcaster who goes exclusive on Spotify.
    Always hilarious when there's a post about someone who has hundreds of millions of fans and people here feel compelled to alert everyone they've never heard of them. What do you want, an ignorance award? While it's surprising you don't know who the fuck do you not know who Joe Rogan is? He's had a 30 year career spanning sports, comedy, Fear Factor, News Radio, standup, podcasting, etc., it's more surprising you'd announce to the world you don't know who that is before even just looking at Wikipedia for 5 seconds. 
    mknelsonraybochemengin1cgWerkstoysandme
  • Reply 26 of 38
    auxio said:
    razorpit said:
    Nah, this is all about money.  Rogan gets more with an exclusive deal and Spotify attracts more subscribers.
    So please tell me how appearing in less Podcast directories will attract more subscribers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    lkrupp said:
    auxio said:
    razorpit said:
    Nah, this is all about money.  Rogan gets more with an exclusive deal and Spotify attracts more subscribers.
    It sounds a lot like what Howard Stern did with Sirius XM. If you want to listen to Howard you have to pay. Quite frankly I’m not familiar with this Joe Rogan character. What is  his schtick and who listens to him?

Getting Elon Musk to “smoke” weed & shit like that. My brother is a huge fan, I don’t really have time for it.

lkrupp said:
    auxio said:
    razorpit said:
    It sounds a lot like what Howard Stern did with Sirius XM. If you want to listen to Howard you have to pay. Quite frankly I’m not familiar with this Joe Rogan character. What is  his schtick and who listens to him?
    If only there were some kind of online encyclopedia where you could look up basic facts about stuff.
    LoL 
    raybowatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 38
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    razorpit said:
    Well you are right about one thing, I don't care about you.
    chemengin1toysandme
  • Reply 29 of 38
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Always hilarious when there's a post about someone who has hundreds of millions of fans and people here feel compelled to alert everyone they've never heard of them. What do you want, an ignorance award? While it's surprising you don't know who the fuck do you not know who Joe Rogan is? He's had a 30 year career spanning sports, comedy, Fear Factor, News Radio, standup, podcasting, etc., it's more surprising you'd announce to the world you don't know who that is before even just looking at Wikipedia for 5 seconds. 
    That's the present! People want to be celebrated for their ignorance and what they don't know!

Fear Factor: Eat this Anus is all anybody remembers.  :D

News Radio had such a great cast! Phil Hartman  :'(
    razorpitfastasleeptoysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    mknelson said:
    That's the present! People want to be celebrated for their ignorance and what they don't know!

Fear Factor: Eat this Anus is all anybody remembers.  :D

News Radio had such a great cast! Phil Hartman  :'(
    Fear Factor - "Gotta play to win!" - Tyrone Biggums

• Reply 31 of 38
    Phobos7Phobos7 Posts: 63member
    This guy’s outlook  is a complete waste of my time. AppleInsider, why would you even give this slug space in your forums?
    edited May 2020 Appleishwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 38
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    raybo said:
    ...Joe Rogan, who is the best interviewer this century. He can talk intelligently with anyone, from any background...
    I think you're confusing Rogan with Terry Gross, of Fresh Air.
    watto_cobraalfscats
  • Reply 33 of 38
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    One of the most popular podcasts that Apple hosts, The Joe Rogan Experience (JRE) ...
    Slight correction, but an important distinction to make... Apple is a directory listing (the biggest) which includes JRE, but the podcast is hosted on Libsyn.
    (Common misunderstanding about podcasts... Apple is a directory, not a host.)

The move is just part of a broader push from Spotify into the podcasts market. In February, those efforts appear to have paid off, with Spotify reporting a 200% year-over-year rise in podcast listening on its platform.
    Yeah, the question is whether they are friend or foe. This move is more in the foe category. And, yes, they have grown in the podcasting space quite a bit, but that isn't so hard to do when your numbers are really, really low (single digits).

razorpit said:
    Well, if it did, he's an idiot. A podcast is pretty hard to censor, but Spotify is another platform that ultimately takes the control out of Rogan's hands.
    If that were the motivation, he went the wrong direction.

juanguapo said:
    Who....cares?
    Besides the obvious answer of all the fans of the show (one of the largest there is), there is also the impact on podcasting on the whole. A lot of podcasters care quite a bit.
    You can see a bit of today's news in reaction by the podcast industry here: https://podnews.net/update/rogan-signs-exclusive-spotify

anome said:
    Umm...bye?

I'm sure this is an extremely lucrative deal for both him and Spotify, and I wish them well. I'd normally be against people doing exclusive deals like this, but I find it hard to care about this one.
    Yeah, I don't wish him well. I hope he loses a lot of his audience, making the case that this a bad idea to follow.

tokyojimu said:
    I wonder if it will be like Howard Stern, who once he left the airwaves disappeared from public consciousness.
    I can't really see how this won't negatively impact his audience and numbers, but hey, he has $100M (rumored) in his pocket. If that's what he cares about, he won.

He shtick is not my cup of tea but he certainly is popular. I’m curious if this will actually drive Spotify usage in a meaningful way over the long term. There is probably something to be said or exclusive content but I can’t see Spotify building up enough content produces to make it pay off given they can’t make a profit currently. 
    Hard to say, but there is another angle. When they get some one to listen to podcasts on their platform, it is money they don't have to pay the music artists, which is their main thing/expense. So, if Joe can attract new users AND pull existing users more towards podcast content (and away from music), it broadens their platform and saves them money... Joe is kind of the gateway drug to podcasts.

lkrupp said:
    Quite frankly I’m not familiar with this Joe Rogan character. What is  his schtick and who listens to him?
    He interviews a broad spectrum of people, from famous to experts in this or that, to some rather out-there type stuff. He's a pretty good interviewer, and a bit rough-around-the-edges like Stern.

raybo said:
    You're not describing Joe Rogan, who is the best interviewer this century. He can talk intelligently with anyone, from any background...and he is the most popular interviewer in history. He actually lets his guests talk, unlike other hosts who feel the need to keep the spotlight.
    Hmm, I wouldn't go quite that far. Jordan Harbinger is better, and that's just the podcast segment of media.

There’s a gold rush going on for the most popular podcasts right now. There’s no reason Apple couldn’t spend a little and lock up some talent and shows in exclusives also.
    I sure hope the heck Apple doesn't get involved this nonsense too. They've been great for a long time now in how they have handled podcasting. That would ruin it.

AppleSince1976 said:
    So please tell me how appearing in less Podcast directories will attract more subscribers.
    That's not what they said.... it won't for Rogan (likely), but WILL attract subscribers to Spotify.

Phobos7 said:
    This guy’s outlook  is a complete waste of my time. AppleInsider, why would you even give this slug space in your forums?
    Because he's pretty popular and in the podcasting space.... and this DOES impact Apple.

That said, he has such a wide range of people he interviews, it would be hard to see how someone wouldn't be interested in at least a few of his episodes. (For example, if you were to learn from one of his recent guests, you could decrease your chances of being taken down by Covid-19 dramatically.)
    toysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    This is a bummer.  I love Joe and his podcast is outstanding.  Great interviewer and has a broad range of guests and subject matter.  i can't keep up with all the podcasts but I can usually get through 1-2 a week.  I'm not a Spotify subscriber so once this goes exclusive I will miss Joe.  But this is not going to entice me to join Spotify, I'll stick with Apple Music.
    abbynormalcgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    rattlhed said:
    This is a bummer.  I love Joe and his podcast is outstanding.  Great interviewer and has a broad range of guests and subject matter.  i can't keep up with all the podcasts but I can usually get through 1-2 a week.  I'm not a Spotify subscriber so once this goes exclusive I will miss Joe.  But this is not going to entice me to join Spotify, I'll stick with Apple Music.
    Spotify is free, you don't have to be a Premium subscriber to listen to Podcasts on that platform.
    toysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    razorpit said:
    razorpit said:
    Well you are right about one thing, I don't care about you.
    Lol, how pathetic that you self-identify as either an anti-vaxxer, a racist, or a nutjob. 
    fastasleepDancingMonkeys
  • Reply 37 of 38
    raybo said:
    razorpit said:
    Haha. “Talk intelligently” is a matter of opinion. He does more thorough research on his areas of interest, but he is not very well informed in other areas. And he tends to mimic the opinions of his guests, unless they annoy him for whatever reason. Then he attacks them over the most trivial things.
    edited August 2020