Jailbreak for all iOS 13.5 devices coming soon, hackers say

Posted:
in iOS edited May 2020
The team behind jailbreaking tool "unc0ver" on Wednesday said a new version of the software currently undergoing performance testing is effective against all current iOS versions, including the recently released iOS 13.5.

unc0ver 5.0

Leveraging an unspecified zero-day kernel exploit discovered by researcher "pwn2ownd," version 5.0 of "unc0ver" is capable of jailbreaking "every signed iOS version on every device," the "unc0ver Team" said in a tweet.

According to the group's webpage, the upcoming "unc0ver" iteration supports Apple-signed iOS releases from iOS 11 through iOS 13.5.

In August 2019, pwn2ownd released a version of unc0ver effective on devices running then-current iOS versions after Apple mistakenly unpatched a critical vulnerability in iOS 12.4. The first publicly available jailbreak to see wide distribution in years, unc0ver was neutralized with a subsequent fix issued in September. That same month, hacker "axi0mX" unveiled a tethered jailbreak for iOS 13.1.1 utilizing the Checkm8 exploit.

Jailbreaks are commonly used to escape Apple's "sandbox," granting access to hardware and software features not accessible by users under normal circumstances. The jailbreak community thrived in the early days of iOS thanks in part to Apple's iron fist implementation of iOS, but the technique slowly fell out of favor as the platform matured, gaining official customization options and app affordances.

Today's jailbreak news arrives just hours after Apple issued iOS 13.5 with a number of new features and user experience tweaks designed to cope with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. For example, devices with Face ID authentication will automatically display a manual passcode verification prompt when a face mask is detected.

Apple's latest iOS version also includes the first public release of the company's Exposure Notification API. Developed in partnership with Google, the cross-platform tracking solution logs contact with anonymized Bluetooth beacons and, paired with a voluntary alert system, notifies users to recent interactions with participants who report contraction of COVID-19. Public health agencies developing contact tracing apps can build on the latticework as Apple and Google work to bake Exposure Notification assets into their respective iOS and Android operating systems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I’d much rather have the zero day patched.

Hopefully when this is released Apple is the first to download and reverse engineer it... and squash it.
    magman1979MichaelKohlmwhitePetrolDavecaladanianrazorpitlkruppcornchipjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member

Hopefully when this is released Apple is the first to download and reverse engineer it... and squash it.
    Aymen!
    PetrolDavecornchipjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    Time for Apple to pay off these hackers to hack the companies the FBI uses to break into iPhones. Two can play this game.
    F_Kent_DMichaelKohlmwhitePetrolDavepeterhartwilliamlondonelijahgcornchipSpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 4 of 18
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

The last time I jail-broke an iPhone was the first gen. iPhone when I got the iPhone 3G. The main purpose was to record video. I also downloaded the "I Am Rich" app on that via the jail-break.

The necessity of jail-breaking is now less for the average user, but I can see how it makes for a nice hobby to the tech enthusiasts.

napoleon_phoneapartcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    Maybe Apple needs to come up with an iOS that once hacked, puts a Trojan horse back into the hackers network
    mwhitePetrolDavepeterhartlkruppcornchipSpamSandwichjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    prismaticsprismatics Posts: 164member
    Scot1 said:
    Maybe Apple needs to come up with an iOS that once hacked, puts a Trojan horse back into the hackers network
    Whatever
    williamlondonelijahgchemengin1napoleon_phoneapartcornchippscooter63fastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 18
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Agreed. Of all the things to hack I can’t imagine opening up probably the most sensitive and private device a person owns to God only knows who.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

The last time I jail-broke an iPhone was the first gen. iPhone when I got the iPhone 3G. The main purpose was to record video. I also downloaded the "I Am Rich" app on that via the jail-break.

The necessity of jail-breaking is now less for the average user, but I can see how it makes for a nice hobby to the tech enthusiasts.

Gimme a frack'in’ break. Jail-breaking has never, EVER been a ‘necessity’ for the average user. Get a clue.
    randominternetpersoncornchipSpamSandwichjony0pscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Like disco, the jail breaking fad is dead and now looking a little silly in hindsight. 
    edited May 2020 mike1cornchipjony0pscooter63tokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Like disco, the jail breaking fad is dead and now looking pretty silly in hindsight. 
    Only for the people who bought polyester suits because they wanted to be like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.  The music itself is still very much alive and well and much better off without all the white washing and profiteers.

As for the necessity of jail breaking, people tend to forget that key features like recording videos and using your phone as a WiFi hotspot for your laptop didn't exist in the first couple of releases of iOS.  But I agree that nowadays there's no real reason to do it aside from technical curiosity.

lkruppelijahgneoncatjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    auxio said:
     technical curiosity.

Sorry, the Apple cognoscenti have declared that this isn't allowed. 
    napoleon_phoneapartmobird
  • Reply 12 of 18
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    neoncat said:
    auxio said:
     technical curiosity.

And I'm sure they would have declared that Jobs & Wozniak's early technical curiosities (ala the Blue Box) which led them on the path to the creation of the Apple computer shouldn't be allowed either.  I used to be bothered by such people, but now I just can't be bothered.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    That was quick.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Scot1 said:
    That sounds like the kind of thinking that just cost Apple half a billion dollars to settle a class action law suit.
    napoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    auxio said:
    neoncat said:
    auxio said:
     technical curiosity.

And I'm sure they would have declared that Jobs & Wozniak's early technical curiosities (ala the Blue Box) which led them on the path to the creation of the Apple computer shouldn't be allowed either.  I used to be bothered by such people, but now I just can't be bothered.
    Well when you have no moral or ethical compass I guess it’s easy to not be bothered about anything.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    auxio said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Like disco, the jail breaking fad is dead and now looking pretty silly in hindsight. 
    Only for the people who bought polyester suits because they wanted to be like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.  The music itself is still very much alive and well and much better off without all the white washing and profiteers.

As for the necessity of jail breaking, people tend to forget that key features like recording videos and using your phone as a WiFi hotspot for your laptop didn't exist in the first couple of releases of iOS.  But I agree that nowadays there's no real reason to do it aside from technical curiosity.

Forum icon checks out.

Scot1 said:
    That sounds like the kind of thinking that just cost Apple half a billion dollars to settle a class action law suit.

I know there’s a recent story reference here, but I’m not able to recall what it is...

another hint?

edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Jailbreaking is important for the simple reason that it allows Apple to patch exploits. There are currently too many out in the wild and Apple needs to start catching up again. It wasn’t too long ago that jailbreaks were practically impossible. We went months if not years without a jailbreak for current iPhones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    daniPhonedaniPhone Posts: 24member
    I’ve jailbreaked my iPhone 4 back in the day for missing a lot of key features iOS lacked at that time, compared to Android , from where I switched. I never ’stole’ premium apps, or misused iOS in any ethical way. I liked to play around a bit.
    iOS caught up in features eventually, stopping my personal need for jailbreaking. I’ve had non-jalibroken iPhones for years, and was happy with them. Until now that is..

I’m definitely jailbreaking my SE(2020). For one purpose only. I want to use Haptic Touch for notifications again.
    It’s a ridiculous choice, if not misstep, to leave out this key function in a perfectly capable device. In my opinion, with doing so, Apple is bullying SE owners for spending a little less on a phone.

So yes, jailbreak it shall be. 

razorpit said:

Agreed. Of all the things to hack I can’t imagine opening up probably the most sensitive and private device a person owns to God only knows who.
    iOS security is totally rotten nowadays. It’s wide open. In fact, you can almost feel a draft coming out that ancient Lightning port.
    They can, and probably will, patch this particular zero day exploit. But there’s 100s of exploits waiting after this one, no doubt. Stop being naive and wake up: Apple has lost this battle and will not recover without building a completely new OS from the ground up, which they won’t.