Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD… Image Resolution Scaling?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
My "TV" setup is a Viewsonic (2560 x 1440) monitor connecting to an iPad for streaming movies from various sources or MHz Choice.

I have an old Apple TV (2nd or 3rd gen?) kicking around someplace.
I've been thinking of connecting that, but am unsure if it would letterbox the image or scale to fit the monitor resolution. I doubt it.
It seems that upgrading to a newer version Apple TV would be the best route, but am unsure of which Apple TV to get… Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD?

Does the Apple TV 4K scale down to that resolution?
Does Apple TV HD scale up to that resolution?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The monitor itself has an ideal resolution - in your case, the 2560x1440, and has other "supported" resolutions which vary monitor to monitor.

The Apple TV will feed the display 1080p, and the monitor will have to deal with it as best as it can.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 787member
    The monitor itself has an ideal resolution - in your case, the 2560x1440, and has other "supported" resolutions which vary monitor to monitor.

The Apple TV will feed the display 1080p, and the monitor will have to deal with it as best as it can.
    I figured it would letterbox, like some crappy iOS apps that won't upsample to 2560 x 1440.

What about the Apple TV 4K?
    Will it downsample to a lower resolution?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

I figured it would letterbox, like some crappy iOS apps that won't upsample to 2560 x 1440.

What about the Apple TV 4K?
    Will it downsample to a lower resolution?
    I don't think it will letterbox. And, as far as I am aware, it won't downsample.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mtrivisomtriviso Posts: 21member
    I have an AppleTV 4K and, mine seems to upscale everything 4K. If the original content is 16:9, like old television shows, they will play in the original aspect ratio. My AppleTV 4K is connected to an Optoma 4K projector. I did have to upgrade the old HMDI cable to newer, high-speed cable to support the HDR and 4:4:4 chroma settings. I would skip the HD and go right to the 4K box.