Rumor: 'iPhone 12' to integrate Lightning instead of USB-C, port-less iPhone coming in 202...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2020
A reliable leaker on Monday claimed the upcoming "iPhone 12" will retain Apple's Lightning connector over a USB-C option, adding that next year's flagship is expected to boast a Smart Connector with no ports at all.

Leaked
Leaked "iPhone 12" diagram from @choco_bit on Twitter (left) and rendered image (right)

Though some speculate Apple to make the move to USB-C, the proprietary Lightning port will be a part of iPhone for at least another year, according to Twitter user @choco_bit. The statement corroborates leaker Jon Prosser's previous comments about the "iPhone 12" port.

Today's tweet also mentions the 2021 iPhone, possibly called the "iPhone 13," which hasn't seen much in the way of rumors.

Shame the USB-c prototype iPhone 12's arent making it to production. 1 more year of lightning

Oh well, at least smart connector on 13 series

-- Fudge (@choco_bit)
The idea of an iPhone with a Smart Connector isn't new either, with identical rumors surfacing prior to the launch of iPhone 8. Choco_bit goes on to clarify in a reply that the "13 series" will in fact be port-less, which is another sentiment shared by Prosser and other insiders.

The Twitter user shared "iPhone 12" leaks before, including claims of a the three-camera system with LiDAR expected on pro models, smaller notch and widgets on the home screen.

We won't be able to confirm the validity of the leaks until Apple announces the new iPhones in September or October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I hope they keep the lightning connector as I have at least 20 cables for it, but it would be great if Apple made a battery case with a lightning port, USB3-Type C port, and a headphone jack.  Keep the camera button on the current battery case.   Now they just need to fit a forehead temperature scanner in the regular phone and TouchID on screen.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 2 of 30
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    It’s plausible. Lightning remains a versatile and compact port, but I wouldn’t be sad to see USB-C on the most expensive iPhones. After all, they have “Pro” right in the name.

That said, a portless iPhone is obviously the goal, and if the smart connector can be further developed in the next year or so, that’s the obvious candidate.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    No ports is a great idea, but:
    Don't all but the most recent CarPlay setups require a wired connection?

If so, how would that work?   Would Apple require everybody to upgrade their CarPlay systems?  Since most are proprietory to the OEM, that could get expensive.
    bonobobpatchythepiratebluefire1watto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 4 of 30
    maccamacca Posts: 23member

If so, how would that work?   Would Apple require everybody to upgrade their CarPlay systems?  Since most are proprietory to the OEM, that could get expensive.
    No it’s not. At the moment when I’m travelling if  I’m low on power I attach the lightening cable from the battery pack in my bag to the phone whilst using it for directions at the same time as charging. How are you meant to do this without a port? Or when I’m on a flight transferring movie flies from my computer onto the phone?
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 30
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    Future charging and connection options will be:

Charging
    Wireless
    USB to Smart connector

CarPlay
    Bluetooth
    USB to Smart connector

These are my personal thoughts.
    chasmacheron2018bluefire1watto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 6 of 30
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member

Portless doesn't mean wireless. There are rumors that iPhone 13 will incorporate a MagSafe Connector.
    acheron2018GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 30
    I would welcome a switch to usb c but if Apple goes with a portless iPhone I will definitely switch to a non pro iPhone. 
    bonobob
  • Reply 8 of 30
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    canukstorm said:.
    Portless doesn't mean wireless. There are rumors that iPhone 13 will incorporate a MagSafe Connector.
    Hahahahaha! Good one!
    elijahg
  • Reply 9 of 30

MagSafe is trash and so is anything USB. I hope people stop asking for these things.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Current iPhones have lightening - keeping is not integrating. they are already whole.

So "iPhone 12 rumoured not to integrate USB-c" would be an accurate headline.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 30
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    chasm said:
    Hahahahaha! Good one!
    You laugh but...

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    I frequently use my phone while charging it.  I could not do this with wireless charging.  This change will ensure I don't buy a new iPhone for many years to come.
    rotateleftbyteasdasduraharaMplsP
  • Reply 13 of 30
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    Hoping for a 5.4” iPhone 12 Pro!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    chasm said:
    Hahahahaha! Good one!
    You laugh but...

Oh Yeh!    That's two thumbs up!   It could essentially be the smart connector from the iPad Pro!
    That makes a huge amount of sense:  High End business laptops have used that concept for decades to attach to Docking Stations and run everything through it:   power, video and USB.   That would enable the super powerful iPhone to drive peripherals -- video, external storage, keyboards, etc....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 30
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    chasm said:
    Hahahahaha! Good one!
    You laugh but...

Was that April 1st?

If the phone is portless then how can it have a port. 

I too often charge and use the device, not seeing any advantage here. 
  • Reply 16 of 30
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

That would be terrible for a phone that’s not sat on a desk whilst charging. Battery banks would either need to be wireless and then twice the size to counter the wireless inefficiency, or have some kind of case that holds the smart charger in place whilst the phone is charging. 

If you were charging handheld in a car the connector would constantly fall off, and even if you were charging whilst holding it the magnet would never be strong enough to stop it getting dislodged regularly. 
  • Reply 17 of 30
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

MagSafe is trash and so is anything USB. I hope people stop asking for these things.
    Why are either of those trash? MagSafe is ingenious, just not on a phone. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member

I think by 'no ports' it's meant 'no socket style ports'. If the Smart Connector comes to the iPhone and they can solve how to shift data over it then all it'll need is a smart connector cable at one end and a regular USB at the other. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 30
    I’ve never understood the clamor for usb c. The only people that this would benefit, and only marginally, are legit pros or techies, which is still a pretty small fraction, right? 

Every normie I talked to during the lightening switch was livid. Complete irrational rage over the adapter. 

The only reasonable use case for a magsafe adaptor I can think of (and I’d welcome) is if the case design was to the point that a plug in connector wouldn’t work. 

Or maybe Apple has thought of something I haven’t. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    A port-less iPhone would be great, as long as the charging time isn’t Much longer than it is with the lightning connector. That said, I wouldn’t mind if lightning was replaced in the higher end iPhone models by USB-C, because I could use one cable to charge my iPhone, my new iPad with the new Magic Keyboard and my MacBook Pro.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra