Apple releases macOS Catalina 10.15.5 with new battery health management feature

Posted:
in macOS edited May 2020
Apple finished its round of platform updates this week with macOS Catalina 10.15.5, which brings new battery health management features and bug fixes to the operating system.

Apple released macOS Catalina 10.15.5
Apple released macOS Catalina 10.15.5

After four beta periods, Apple on Tuesday released the macOS update with battery health management. The feature is meant to extend battery hardware lifetime by managing how it is charged.

The new battery management system is a rudimentary version of what is found on iOS. The Energy Saver control panel gains a new, simple dialog box that allows users to toggle the feature on and off. When turned on, the MacBook will detect if and when it spends most of its time on a charger, then charge only as necessary.

By controlling how fast the MacBook charges, and to what percent it reaches when plugged in, the software can elongate the chemical life of the battery. Otherwise the MacBook would charge to 100% as fast as possible every time it was plugged in, causing wear on the battery.

Other tweaks include FaceTime prominence preference, which can be toggled to suppress enlargement of video tiles when a participant speaks, calibration fine-tuning for Pro Display XDR and a host of bug fixes.

Bug fixes and performance improvements include:
  • Fixes an issue that may prevent Reminders from sending notifications for recurring reminders
  • Addresses an issue that may prevent password entry on the login screen
  • Fixes an issue where System Preferences would continue to show a notification badge even after installing an update
  • Resolves an issue where the built-in camera may not be detected when trying to use it after using a video conferencing app
  • Addresses an issue for Mac computers with the Apple T2 Security Chip where internal speakers may not appear as a sound output device in Sound preferences
  • Fixes a stability issue with uploading and downloading media files from iCloud Photo Library while your Mac is asleep
  • Resolves a stability issue when transferring large amounts of data to RAID volumes
  • Fixes an issue where the Reduce Motion Accessibility preference did not reduce the speed of animations in a FaceTime group call
Apple's other software platforms iOS and iPadOS were also updated this week to add exposure notification features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And if your favorite, well documented, been there for years, everybody has it bug hasn't been addressed ,well, better luck next time. Maybe macOS 2125 will fix it. /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 32
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    lkrupp said:
    And if your favorite, well documented, been there for years, everybody has it bug hasn't been addressed ,well, better luck next time. Maybe macOS 2125 will fix it. /s
    Aren’t you usually all super defensive of Apple?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Did the external mass storage problems get solved? I remember the news item about it, but nothing saying it was resolved.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    dysamoria said:
    Did the external mass storage problems get solved? I remember the news item about it, but nothing saying it was resolved.
    It did.

edited May 2020 dewmedysamoriawatto_cobraqwerty52fastasleepentropys
  • Reply 5 of 32
    dysamoria said:
    It did.

I laughed that you actually took a screen shot of your article, added a big red arrow pointing to the answer instead of saying "How about you just read the article Bub". You have shown an ocean of patience Mike :)
    dewmechiatwokatmewwatto_cobrathtfastasleepentropysasdasd
  • Reply 6 of 32
    I’m installing is now on a 2020 Mac and the system has restarted four times during the install process and continued until completion. Is this normal? Anyone else had this issue.
    mwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    lkrupp said:
    Such as, the disappearing mouse cursor bug? That’s my favorite. 
  • Reply 8 of 32
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Hmmm I wonder if this update will fix the crash on awake bug that has crippled my iMac. I just gave up two Apple senior advisors later. 
    pulseimagesagilealtitude
  • Reply 9 of 32
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 601member
    Wasn’t the adaptive charging technology that was released 10 years ago meant to elongate a MacBook's battery life by managing how it is charged? 

https://youtu.be/nd-XRnW3fu4
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    dysamoria said:
    It did.

That’s hilarious ߘ⠉ must have gone comatose while going through the article. I had other things on my mind and was probably mindlessly skimming by that point. Morning news checkup routine...

Thanks!!

PS: that’s supposed to be a laughing with tears emoji this forum doesn’t support.
    edited May 2020 watto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 11 of 32
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Before the update I had 152 gig available on my ssd after the update now have 204 gig available, sure glad I updated :smiley: 
    watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 12 of 32
    gilly33 said:
    Hmmm I wonder if this update will fix the crash on awake bug that has crippled my iMac. I just gave up two Apple senior advisors later. 
    That's my hope as well. I installed early today (May 26th) and turned power nap back on (turning it off solved the problem before but I want power nap enabled). So far no crashes on wake-up.
    watto_cobragilly33agilealtitude
  • Reply 13 of 32
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    Really hope “Fixes a stability issue with uploading and downloading media files from iCloud Photo Library while your Mac is asleep”
    Is a euphemism for fixing the completely fucked sleep/wake mechanism which has made my MacBook Pro appear a total lemon since I bought it. Would have downgraded to Mojave if that was an option. 
    Gilliam_Bates
  • Reply 14 of 32
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Update not showing for my 16" MacBook Pro. Has it been pulled?

** edit **

Seems to show up about 20 minutes after I turned my MacBook on. I guess it lied when it says it checked it the first time.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 15 of 32
    jsh56jsh56 Posts: 12member
    There is no battery health management on my MacBookPro11,4 I just upgraded to 10.15.5.   Is it supported on all Macbook hardware?
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jsh56 said:
    There is no battery health management on my MacBookPro11,4 I just upgraded to 10.15.5.   Is it supported on all Macbook hardware?
    It is not. USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 units only.
    jsh56PetrolDavedysamoriapairof9
  • Reply 17 of 32
    emjsb1emjsb1 Posts: 1member
    This broke my windows bootcamp service.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Catalina has been the most underwhelming version of OS X, followed by Mojave that my former company has produced in well over a decade. The lack of vision under Federighi is quite stark and disappointing. 

They need new blood overseeing OS X.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 19 of 32
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Catalina has been the most underwhelming version of OS X, followed by Mojave that my former company has produced in well over a decade. The lack of vision under Federighi is quite stark and disappointing. 

They need new blood overseeing OS X.
    I’ll still gladly take this over Windows any day, and I run Windows on my Mac!

What’s underwhelming about it?  Is there done whiz-bang feature you’re clamoring for?
    dewmeagilealtitudemwhite
  • Reply 20 of 32
    gilly33 said:
    That's my hope as well. I installed early today (May 26th) and turned power nap back on (turning it off solved the problem before but I want power nap enabled). So far no crashes on wake-up.
    I wonder how many returned MacBooks Apple could’ve saved themselves by identifying that this issue was being addressed.