Samsung unveils Apple Card competitor dubbed 'Samsung Money by SoFi'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    apple ][ said:
    MplsP said:
    bsnjon said:
    Samsung has actually picked a smart strategy here. They limit reliance on partners like Goldman Sachs, and not being a credit card means there are more potential users in future.
    Except you need to switch your bank or at least open an entirely new account for this. The Apple Card is a credit card that anyone can use with their existing bank account. Also, I far prefer credit cards over debit cards - there’s an extra layer of protection between my money and merchants or thieves. A woman at work didn’t like credit cards and only used a debit card. It got compromised and her and her husband’s checking account was cleared of $15,000. In the mean time their mortgage payment and car payments bounced and they couldn’;t make several other payments while the bank sorted it out. The last time my discover card number got hacked, Discover locked it down, sent me a new one and I was out exactly $0
    Yes, debit cards are mostly for financially ignorant people and those who can't get a credit card.

A credit card offers far more protection and is also safer, as it's not tied to a bank account.

Not to mention, you actually get many benefits from a credit card, and you save money on purchases, due to cash back offers etc. And you also get a grace period before you need to pay your bill. A debit card is like using cash and you pay immediately from your account.

I'm sure that debit cards are very popular with the Android crowd.
    I have an iPhone, iPad Pro, MacBook Air, Apple Card, a credit card from almost every major bank in the U.S. and I will 99% of the time reach for cash or my main bank’s debit card. Why? It’s a personal choice.
    There are always exceptions, and you are free to do as you please of course. Why not get cash back on 99% of your purchases? either way, doesn't matter to me of course, it's your personal choice, like you said.

Cash is dirty, I hardly even touch it or carry it anymore.
    anantksundaram