Doubts raised over 'iPhone 13' quad-camera rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
Prominent leaker Jon Prosser has cast doubt on a leak claiming to detail the camera layout of the "iPhone 13," saying that there's a "0% chance" of that layout in the 2021 flagship.

iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro cameras.
iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro cameras.

On May 28, an image was shared on Twitter by a leaker known as "Fudge" showing what they described was the planned camera bump design of the "iPhone 13." Rather than a triple-camera setup, as used in the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, Fudge claimed Apple would instead switch to a four-lens arrangement, with an added LiDAR module below the bump itself.

In response to the image, Jon Prosser posted to Twitter declaring the illustration was "not real," and that the layout for the "iPhone 13" or "12S" would be the same as for the "iPhone 12."

The image of the supposed 'iPhone 13' camera bump and LiDAR sensor.
The image of the supposed 'iPhone 13' camera bump and LiDAR sensor.

In response to a query from a follower about how the original posting of the rumor hedged bets by suggesting it may not be true this early in the product's development, Prosser added "we're talking 0% chance of this being it." Prosser also added there "was no reason to post this image."

Fudge claimed the "iPhone 13" will have a 64-megapixel wide lens camera with 1x optical and 6x digital zooms, a 40-megapixel telephoto camera with 3x to 5x optical and 15 to 20x digital zoom, a 40-megapixel ultra-wide with 0.25x "optical reverse zoom," and a 40-megapixel anamorphic lens sporting a 2.1:1 ratio.

If true, this would represent a considerable increase in camera resolution for Apple, as the iPhone 11 Pro's cameras all use 12-megapixel sensors.

Current rumors for the "iPhone 12" suggest it could inherit the LiDAR sensor from the fourth-generation iPad Pro, providing it with rear-mounted depth sensing. There has also been the suggestion of an improved camera module with bigger sensors and changes to the camera elements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Tell me again why looting Apple Store across the US makes any sense? 
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    In other news, iPhone 14 will have 5 cameras.

Oh wait...

watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 3 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Fatman said:

Just greedy, selfish people taking advantage of civil unrest to fill their pockets.   Not a lot different from greedy, selfish 1%'rs taking advantage of political unrest to fill their pockets by looting the country's treasury and its future.

jcs2305
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Fatman said:

It doesn't. There are always opportunistic idiots that take advantage of situations to do bad destructive shit when they think they won't be caught. Almost every protest or large public gathering seems to bring this type of crap it seems. So damn disrespectful to the folks trying to peacefully stand for something or bring light to a problem.

If anyone recalls the 90's when the Bulls were winning championships people were celebrating and there was stupid looting and violence..  I feel like when large groups of people get together bad shit happens no matter the reason for the gathering. It's a shame...

gatorguythtGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lonestar1lonestar1 Posts: 100member
    Very high megapixel cameras on cellphones are a poor engineering trade off. I can’t see Apple making that mistake. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Fatman said:
    When the instutions of society routinely and regularly breaks their own rules to hurt people, then those same people may not be so inclined to respect the societal rules that don't appear to offer them anything in return.
    GeorgeBMacfastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 8
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    lonestar1 said:
    Very high megapixel cameras on cellphones are a poor engineering trade off. I can’t see Apple making that mistake. 
    It isn't a mistake IMO. You may or may not accept DX0 Mark ratings but you have the samples and comments on them in each review. The very high megapixel counts are a contributing factor to squeezing more out of challenging situations. 

Most of the top phones pixel bin to output at a far lower resolution. 

Pair that with better, larger sensors (some custom designed), good ISPs and good software etc and you largely have a more capable camera setup.

I wouldn't read much into this particular rumour but I can see how Apple might jump into the high (or very high) megapixel count at some point.

Recent phones have offered more versatility via their different cameras/software options and the high pixel count is part of that even though it isn't the only aspect involved. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    hentaiboy said:

Oh wait...

Where does it end?