Apple releases iOS 13.5.1, iPadOS 13.5.1, watchOS 6.2.6 updates [u]

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2020
Apple has released updates for iOS 13.5.1 and iPadOS 13.5.1, along with watchOS 6.2.6, patches that make minor changes to the updates for iOS 13.5 and iPadOS 13.5 released less than two weeks ago.

Released to the public on Monday, the updates for iOS and iPadOS can be installed via the Settings app, tapping General, Software Update, then selecting to install the update. Users with automatic updates will go through a streamlined process managed by their device. The watchOS update can be managed from the Watch app on the iPhone.

Apple has also released updates for tvOS 13.4.6 and for HomePod 13.4.6.

The latest update, bringing iOS to 13.5.1 and iPadOS to 13.5.1, surface just 12 days after the release of iOS 13.5 and iPadOS 13.5, and 14 days after watchOS 6.2.5. That update largely centered around COVID-19 changes, including a modification to Face ID that took into account face masks, as well as the Exposure Notification API.

Patch notes for the iOS 13.5.1, iPadOS 13.5.1, and watchOS 6.3.6 updates reveal the contents as largely consisting of security updates. The version number increments also indicate them to be minor in scope, with a high unlikelihood for there to be any changes to features or functions.

Among the security updates is a fix for a vulnerability that is used by Unc0ver 5.0 to jailbreak iPhones and iPads, including those running iOS 13.5 and iPadOS 13.5.

Update: Apple has released a public beta version of iOS 13.5.5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    How much you wanna bet this was to close the kernel vulnerability that allowed that jailbreak?

Hope they fixed it, and shut that damned jailbreak down.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    magman1979 said:
    How much you wanna bet this was to close the kernel vulnerability that allowed that jailbreak?

I don't care about jailbreaking. I care if the alleged kernel vulnerability was important enough to fix right away.

edited June 2020
  • Reply 3 of 22
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    My Watch always says it has 100% battery. Something wrong with that. 

• Reply 4 of 22
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    I'm getting a 3.31 GB download for this update. Is it replacing the lot?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    ElCapitan said:
    Don't know what's going on with you but it only took couple of minutes for my iPhone 8 to update. Someone also said the update was only 72MB. 
  • Reply 6 of 22
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Not showing this update for my iPhone yet. Probably rolling out slowly around the world. But watchOS already here to install
  • Reply 7 of 22
    I'm also now seeing a Catalina 10.15.5 Supplemental Update for my iMac. Says it's about a kernel vulnerability. 
  • Reply 8 of 22
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    lkrupp said:
    magman1979 said:

I don't care about jailbreaking. I care if the alleged kernel vulnerability was important enough to fit right away.

Any jailbreak that can be used to manipulate system functions (so, all jailbreaks) are serious security flaws that could be exploited for more nefarious purposes by sophisticated enough actors. Jailbreaking was fun back in the early days of the iPhone, but I have far too much important stuff on it these days to even be mildly tempted to play around with jailbreaking anymore. YMMV.
    caladanianmaltzF_Kent_DMisterKitPetrolDavebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 9 of 22
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    lkrupp said:
    ElCapitan said:
    Don't know what's going on with you but it only took couple of minutes for my iPhone 8 to update. Someone also said the update was only 72MB. 
    iPad update was about 58 MB so big difference there.
  • Reply 10 of 22

Oof...you sound so hateful. There’s plenty of other vulnerabilities to take advantage of anyways.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    lkrupp said:
    magman1979 said:

I don't care about jailbreaking. I care if the alleged kernel vulnerability was important enough to fix right away.

That's the point. A jailbreak is indication of a serious security vulnerability (though they usually seem to require direct physical access, which limits their scope). 

Fixing THOSE is necessarily a high priority at Apple.

They probably don't give much of a damn about jailbreaking itself — it's never been a widespread phenomenon, and most of the things that people used to jailbreak for have been incorporated into the system over the past decade, anyway. 
    edited June 2020 maltzdewmeF_Kent_DgregoriusmPetrolDavebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 12 of 22
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member

Well, the article explicitly said that among the fixes...
  • Reply 13 of 22
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Any problems after the downloads?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    lkrupp said:
    ElCapitan said:
    Check your version. If you have a Beta profile installed you'll get the 13.5.5 update, which is > 3GB. 
  • Reply 15 of 22
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    Fixes the unc0ver jailbreak
    checkra1n Jailbreak still works fine 
    so this is like closing the back door when the front door remains wide open
  • Reply 16 of 22
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    lkrupp said:
    ElCapitan said:
    This could be OTA versus tethered to a computer?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    If a jailbreak can penetrate the OS, anyone can. No reason not to update.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    JFC_PA said:
    lkrupp said:
    ElCapitan said:
    This could be OTA versus tethered to a computer?

I'm reading other accounts of the iOS update going 3 GB+ for the new iPhone SE. I always use iTunes and do the full installation when updating my iOS devices. On the new iPhone SE, the full IPSW file for iOS 13.5.1 is 3.89 GB, which is about the same as iOS 13.5. 
  • Reply 19 of 22
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Is there any news about the iPad OS 13.5 that causes iPads to continually reboot?  Does this upgrade fix that? I'd like to know before I upgrade my iPad Pro.  Thanks.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    fred1 said:
    Is there any news about the iPad OS 13.5 that causes iPads to continually reboot?  Does this upgrade fix that? I'd like to know before I upgrade my iPad Pro.  Thanks.
    Too early to tell.