'iPhone 12' mockups depict handset sizes, new SIM tray location

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
A lineup of four 3D-printed "iPhone 12" mockups, based on supposedly leaked schematics and supply chain rumors, surfaced on Monday to provide what could be the first clear look at Apple's upcoming handset series.

Credit: Mac Otakara

Past rumors have suggested that four "iPhone 12" models will see release in the fall: 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch "iPhone 12" models, and 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch "iPhone 12 Pro" models.

Japanese blog Mac Otakara has shared mockups of all four devices, although the site claims that the largest handset will clock in at 6.5 inches, rather than the previously rumored 6.7-inch screen size.

The mockups of the two lower-end devices feature dual-lens cameras, which is in line with past reports. The "Pro" models continue to sport a triple-lens camera setup similar to the current iPhone 11 lineup. All four appear to sport Lightning ports and a squared-off design akin to the iPhone 4, as well as iPad Pro models from 2018 and 2020.

Mac Otakara's mockups also appear to have a SIM tray on the opposite side compared to current models, something that was previously seen in a mockup from April. In that supposed leak, a Smart Connector has taken the place of the SIM tray. The Japanese site says the new placement will make room for a 5G antenna module.

As usual, the mockups should be taken with a grain of salt. Mac Otakara claims the information was sourced from people who market products on the Chinese e-commerce site Alibaba.

The "iPhone 12" lineup, expected to launch in the fall, is also rumored to feature "A14" processors, with top-end models tipped to support 5G connectivity and Apple's depth-mapping LiDAR sensor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    A new SIM tray location? OMG!!!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    KBuffettKBuffett Posts: 95member
    The side button on the current line up is in the most inconvenient place. Steve Jobs has it designed in the most ideal place, too right of the phone
    raoulduke42PetrolDave
  • Reply 3 of 6
    KBuffett said:
    The side button on the current line up is in the most inconvenient place. Steve Jobs has it designed in the most ideal place, too right of the phone
    I agree. I so wish they would make an iPhone that’s basically an original iPhone, but all display X-style.  
    netrox
  • Reply 4 of 6
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    5.4” iPhone 12 Pro!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    KBuffett said:
    5.4” iPhone 12 Pro!
    1000x to both of these.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I'd have thought, if anything, the place for a smart connector would be on the left side of the phone, not the right. That would allow you to use it to attach a Smart-Cover style cover, with maybe a reduced keyboard. Also, I feel attaching an Apple Pencil nano or other stylus on the left feels more natural, but maybe it isn't for right handers.

Then again, the functionality of such a cover could be limited, and I don't know about using an Apple Pencil with an iPhone (although that's been rumoured, of course), in which case I'm not clear on what it would be for.

At least it's not in the middle of the back which never made any sense to me. 
    watto_cobra