iOS 13.6 adds symptoms to Health, unattended iOS update download toggle

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2020
Two major changes to iOS 13.6 and iPadOS 13.6 include a new Settings toggle to allow the device to automatically download an iOS or iPadOS software update, and a big addition of symptoms to the Health app.

New toggle to automatically download software updates
A new toggle to automatically download software updates

Apple has long allowed iPhone and iPad users to automatically install software updates overnight and this new feature builds on that. Users no longer need to manually download updates and your device will still alert you prior to any updates being installed.

A new message that reads "iPhone will automatically download updates over Wi-Fi" is placed under the new toggle placed below the Automatic header inside of the Software Update panel.

To enable automatic iOS update downloads:
  • Head to Settings

• Go to General > Software Update > Customize Automatic Updates

• Enable the "Download iOS Updates" toggle
Another change in iOS 13.6 and iPadOS 13.6 is a new "symptoms" category within the Health app. It allows users to add symptoms such as coughing, headaches, body aches, and much more. Each of those symptoms has additional data points for severity. Third-party apps will be able to tie into these as well like other health metrics.

At the moment, these are still a beta so this feature may change or be removed by the time Apple releases iOS 13.6 and iPadOS 13.6.

Apple just released iOS and iPadOS 13.5.1 to the public to patch a security flaw exploited by the Unc0ver 5.0 jailbreak. That was just following the release of iOS 13.5 that brought several quality of life improvements during the global pandemic such as the COVID-19 exposure notification API and quicker access to the passcode when trying to unlock a device while wearing a mask.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Still requires WiFi.  Looks like my updates will be delayed anyways...

I used over 75GBs last month on my iPad, but I’m prevented from downloading Apple’s piddling little updates.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

I used over 75GBs last month on my iPad, but I’m prevented from downloading Apple’s piddling little updates.
    You and I know the real reason behind this. There wouldn’t be a full month that went by before a class action of “Apple ‘forced’ users to download large OS updates over cellular connection.”

Apple should work out a deal with carriers where OS updates do not count against data caps, but considering carriers can barely support their networks as it is now, we’ll never see the day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ralphieralphie Posts: 104member
    Why is there a toggle to "Automatically download iOS updates"?!?  Devices already to that!   The toggle should actually read "Disable automatic iOS update downloads".
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    razorpit said:

You and I know the real reason behind this. There wouldn’t be a full month that went by before a class action of “Apple ‘forced’ users to download large OS updates over cellular connection.”

Apple should work out a deal with carriers where OS updates do not count against data caps, but considering carriers can barely support their networks as it is now, we’ll never see the day.
    I spent 3 years with my only internet service for my house being a cellular hotspot (AT&T HomeBase) that was part of my AT&T service plan and I never encountered issues with large downloads (multiple gigabytes) even when it was in-fact using a cellular connection. I really thought that Apple had provided a way for users to opt-out of the cellular download limits. So the logic behind how the limit is being imposed isn't really clear cut. It seems to be more related to how the connectivity device presents itself to the phone, not the actual physical layer connection.

It's not clear to me whether carriers are actually having a hard time supporting their networks. I think the limits are more driven by pricing tier strategies than technical limitations. I heard that there was at least one carrier that waived their limits during the (first wave?) Covid-19 period and later decided to remove the limits entirely because the increased demand didn't impact their network much at all. I personally think that limits should be based on the rate (MB/sec) and quality of service guarantees rather than the volume (GB/month). If you want to download 250 GB a month over a slow connection, party on dude. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    ralphie said:
    Why is there a toggle to "Automatically download iOS updates"?!?  Devices already to that!   The toggle should actually read "Disable automatic iOS update downloads".
    This is completely counterintuitive.  Green toggles indicate that something is on, not off.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member

I don't think it's the size of the DL but the consistency of your connection when you are downloading and installing updates. A hiccup in connection during an update can make your devices inoperable and a bitch to restore. I have had this happen to a couple of family members iPad Pro and iPhone while we have been stuck at home.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    igorsky said:
    ralphie said:
    This is completely counterintuitive.  Green toggles indicate that something is on, not off.
    True. They could just rephrase the option to make it so.
    But then again, Airplane Mode On means to turn ALL Radios Off, well except for Wi-Fi … kinda.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member

jcs2305 said:

I don't think it's the size of the DL but the consistency of your connection when you are downloading and installing updates. A hiccup in connection during an update can make your devices inoperable and a bitch to restore. I have had this happen to a couple of family members iPad Pro and iPhone while we have been stuck at home.
    That could be true but I tend not to think so. Often I go to update and it shows that it has indeed been downloaded and ready to install. The first thing it does after clicking that is to verify the download before attempting the actual update. That would suggest that the update will not start until the update is secured in the device and verified, presumably through error checking. So an interruption in downloading shouldn't be an issue.