iOS 13.6 remembers where you left off in Apple News articles

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2020
Details continue to emerge from the iOS 13.6 beta released this week, with a report on Wednesday noting the upcoming operating system automatically saves reading progress in Apple News articles.

Apple News

Currently, the Apple News app returns to the top of an article when a user exits the page, even if they were midway through the story. The behavior is particularly vexing for users reading long form content from magazines offered through Apple News+.

As discovered by a MacRumors forum member, iOS 13.6 creates an ephemeral bookmark within previously opened articles, allowing users to pick up where where they left off after navigating away from a story or closing the Apple News app.

It appears an intentional delay of approximately 30 seconds is instituted before a a user's reading position is recorded, according to early testing. While the mechanism is not detailed in Apple's release notes, the delay could be an effort to lower system memory overhead.

In addition to new convenience features, Apple is also working on audio versions of Apple News articles.

Graphical assets discovered in an initial beta release of the company's upcoming iOS update, then labeled iOS 13.5.5, show affordances for "Apple News+ Audio" and related features. The iconography, text and user interface elements were found shortly after a report in May claimed Apple was working with publishers on a deal that would allow the company to convert popular written word articles into short audio snippets.

Apple's latest iOS 13.6 beta release was issued to developers on Tuesday. The evaluation version includes a handful of new features like an option to automatically download future iOS updates and a new symptoms section in the Health app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Finally! Should have been that way since day 1/s
  • Reply 2 of 9
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    It would be nice if they'd pay a little attention to the Books app, too. It keeps forgetting that I was looking in my collection of Audiobooks, and puts me back on the "Reading Now" tab. I shouldn't have to keep tapping the Library tab, then the Audiobooks section, then scrolling down to where I was in the list. It can't be beyond the wit of man to just store what bit of an app we were last on. "UserDefaults" are there for a reason, and Apple should make use of them.
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 9
    It’s a damn shame Apple don’t know when to leave off posting news that is of no value whatsoever. Another Ditched Apple App
  • Reply 4 of 9
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    About friggin’ time!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    It’s a damn shame Apple don’t know when to leave off posting news that is of no value whatsoever. Another Ditched Apple App
    It has value to someone... but a lot of propaganda.  

Personally, I’ve moved to more news sources outside the USA. (Al Jazeera, BBC, AP News)

Many news sources practically copy each other.... quality has certainly degraded.

cornchipJWSC
  • Reply 6 of 9
    It has value to someone... but a lot of propaganda.  

Personally, I’ve moved to more news sources outside the USA. (Al Jazeera, BBC, AP News)

Many news sources practically copy each other.... quality has certainly degraded.

It is very difficult to get quality news nowadays. Even BBC, if you follow for a while, you'll notice that they have their own biases and the news is ever so slightly slanted.
    PetrolDavecornchipJWSC
  • Reply 7 of 9
    It is very difficult to get quality news nowadays. Even BBC, if you follow for a while, you'll notice that they have their own biases and the news is ever so slightly slanted.
    I stopped believing the BBC when they so obviously had a strong climate change bias, their Covid-19 reporting is so ‘filtered’ I download the Government documents to get the truth.
    JWSC
  • Reply 8 of 9
    cornchip said:
    You say that sarcastically, but it's arguably true.  I suppose it's possible that every other bookmarking method on the market has been patented by the respective reader's developer, but the ubiquity and usefulness of such a feature argues that it should have been in place long before now.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 9 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    cornchip said:
    You say that sarcastically, but it's arguably true.  I suppose it's possible that every other bookmarking method on the market has been patented by the respective reader's developer, but the ubiquity and usefulness of such a feature argues that it should have been in place long before now.
     ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  fair enough.

beowulfschmidt