Apple files nine new iPhones, one Mac with international regulators

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
An international regulator is showing nine as yet unannounced Apple iPhone models, assumed to be variants of the "iPhone 12" range due later in 2020, and one new Mac.

Possible iPhone 12 render (source: iphone_lov_er)
Possible iPhone 12 render (source: iphone_lov_er)

While Apple may delay the introduction or release of the "iPhone 12" range, it is already complying with the legal steps required first, including filing model information with the Eurasian Economic Commission. The EEC database never contains much in the way of detail, but it confirms Apple has nine iPhone models and one Mac that are at the stage where they can be certified.

Each of these headline entries links to a page that contains a little more detail, chiefly regulatory, but it's their presence at all that is significant. It means they have gone through at least a certain stage of engineering testing, which is significant because the coronavirus lockdown had been delaying that process.

Detail from the EEC database
Detail from the EEC database

The top entry is for what the EEC describes (in translation) as "Smartphones of the Apple brand A2176, A2172, A2341, A2342, A2399, A2403, A2407, A2408, A2411 models (iOS 13 software version)."

That's nine variations of iPhone -- and the forthcoming "iPhone 12" is expected to come in four different models. Those four will ultimately have many different versions depending on the technology used in them, such as country-specific variations on cellular modems, or possibly different capacities.

The second entry concerns a "personal computer of the Apple brand A2330 (macOS software version 10.15) and spare parts for it." Apple is of course continually working on new Macs, and it has been rumored that there may be a 2020 iMac refresh. However, previous iMacs have had EEC serial numbers beginning A1, while previous MacBook Pro models have been begun A2.

The last new entry is for what the EEC describes as an "Apple-branded smartphone A2275 (iOS 13 software version)." However, A2275 is the Apple serial number for the 2020 refresh of the iPhone SE.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Has Apple ever had an iPhone or computer that was listed with "an international regulator" that didn't make it to market? Not necessarily all markets, but to any at all?

They have had products that were never released, but AFAIK they weren't ever "listed", as in not making it off the lab benches.

Does this mean those products are a done deal as far as coming to market, anybody's market, is concerned?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    That depends on what you mean by making it to market? Apple has submitted several devices to regulators that were meant for internal use.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Interesting about the Mac product number. Everyone has been talking about refreshing the iMac for WWDC, but, as the article says, it looks more like a MacBook. Could they be planning to release an ARM based MacBook (nul)?</rumourmongering>

More likely the MBP 16" refresh. Or maybe an Air refresh to bring the (Intel) chips up to parity with the 13".

As for the phones, 4 models in US and International versions (due to the weird frequency differences) would make 8. Not sure what the 9th one would be, unless that's the model with two SIM slots for whichever market doesn't allow for eSIMs still. Then it doesn't make sense there would be only one of them. So 3 models in US, International, and dual SIM versions? But the rumours were about both the Pro and non-Pro being in two sizes...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    anome said:
    Interesting about the Mac product number. Everyone has been talking about refreshing the iMac for WWDC, but, as the article says, it looks more like a MacBook. Could they be planning to release an ARM based MacBook (nul)?</rumourmongering>

More likely the MBP 16" refresh. Or maybe an Air refresh to bring the (Intel) chips up to parity with the 13".

As for the phones, 4 models in US and International versions (due to the weird frequency differences) would make 8. Not sure what the 9th one would be, unless that's the model with two SIM slots for whichever market doesn't allow for eSIMs still. Then it doesn't make sense there would be only one of them. So 3 models in US, International, and dual SIM versions? But the rumours were about both the Pro and non-Pro being in two sizes...
    16" is more likely. The MacBook Air was just refreshed in March. Thank goodness they refreshed the 13" pro right afterwards - the price jump for storage made the 2019 models look a bit bleh.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    The second entry concerns a "personal computer of the Apple brand A2330 (macOS software version 10.15) and spare parts for it." Apple is of course continually working on new Macs, and it has been rumored that the iMac will soon be updated. However, previous iMacs have had EEC serial numbers beginning A1, while previous MacBook Pro models have been begun A2.
    Oh Noooooo, say it ain't sooooo. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    The MBP seems likely to be 16-inch refresh.

As for the iPhone models, there are apparently eight brand numbers that haven't been used, which sounds about right for the usual variations we see for iPhones. In short, there's not a lot "new" in these regulatory filings that wasn't expected.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mknelson said:
    anome said:

16" is more likely. The MacBook Air was just refreshed in March. Thank goodness they refreshed the 13" pro right afterwards - the price jump for storage made the 2019 models look a bit bleh.
    Another interesting possibility is that the Mac Pro is A2304. (It's the only product i can find with an A23xx number.) A new Pro already? Doesn't seem likely, unless it needs an updated ARM chip in it for some reason.

I do think the 16" is probably most likely, since it needs to be brought in line with the 13". Still, I'm taking up shameless rumourmonging as a hobby.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    The number “9” strongly suggests that there will only be 3 models of iPhone 12 (12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max) in a 3-carrier/band mix per model: 

1. World phone #1 (with CDMA)
    2. World phone #2 (without CDMA)
    3. China or Japan phone (likely China)

This fits to the same 3-carrier/band mix of the iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max (9 phone models for the “11” family in all).  Also fits to the iPhone 8 and 8 Max (total of 6 models for the whole “8” family). And it also fits to the iPhone SE, which also has only 3 models and in similar configurations.  Interestingly, TechWalls shows the 3rd iPhone 8 model being for Japanese carriers (with Chinese carriers getting the World phone #1 with CDMA), but the 3rd iPhone 11 and SE models for Chinese carriers (with Japanese carriers using World phone #2 without CDMA).  

In the past (iPhone XS and Xr era) there was a 4-carrier/band mix, with Japanese and Chinese carriers each getting their own, in addition to World phones #1 and #2.  But this was 2 years ago and it seems Apple consolidated from 4 down to 3 starting in 2019 and did not deviate from that with the 2020 iPhone SE. 

Does it mean Apple isn’t hiding a 4th hardware (different screen size and/or shell) to come, also in a 3-carrier/band mix?  Not necessarily, but the longer they hide it, the less likely that one would be able to achieve the EEC regulatory certification for “Day 1” launch shipment alongside the 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max. 
    edited June 2020 Dogperson
  • Reply 9 of 11
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    anome said:
    mknelson said:
    anome said:

Another interesting possibility is that the Mac Pro is A2304. (It's the only product i can find with an A23xx number.) A new Pro already? Doesn't seem likely, unless it needs an updated ARM chip in it for some reason.
    Well that's very interesting, I guess I can keep a slim hope of a new iMac then.
    Yes yes I know laptops sell in much greater numbers but c'mon, they've had many updates in the last 3 years.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    A MacBook Air 16’? 
    I guess that will never happen but just my wish 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    johnbear said:
    A MacBook Air 16’? 
    I guess that will never happen but just my wish 
    That’s what I wanted when the first airs were announced.  Well, I wanted a 15” version at the time.  

Now, I know anything that thin is essentially speed crippled due to lack of space for fans and cooling.   

Now, all I want is a 30+ inch iMac.  My iPad is my go to portable.