Compared: Razer Blade Pro 17 versus Apple 16-inch MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,043member
    Is it reasonable to consider, if attempting comparisons, to add the dongle cost and weight required to match the ports?
    No that’s absurd. The beauty of using a universal port is that you are free to add the interfaces you need, and I mine. And in most cases you don’t even need a dongle, just use the proper cable. Need HDMI? Use a USB-C to HDMI cable.
    jdb8167
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Increasingly typical Apple fare. Obsolete CPU and GPU components with a limited post-purchase component upgrade cul de sac. Basically, Apple is selling 2018-2019 tech at twice the price compared to that same tech used in last years PC Laptops.

Good move Cook. Little wonder Gates is buying up so much Apple stock, he's looking to buy in and cash out quick before Apple customers wise up to the fact that Apple died with Steve Jobs' death.

SJCRIP
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Has anyone compared the size and weight of the POWER SUPPLIES and calculated that into the portability?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    The power supply is massive! Totally changes the portability equation when it's added to the weight of the laptop.

2.15 pounds! That's almost 3x times the weight of Apples 96W for the 16". 

Product dimensions:
    • Length: 7.64" / 194mm
    • Width: 3.39" / 86mm
    • Height: 0.67" / 17mm

edited June 2020
  • Reply 25 of 31
    KITAKITA Posts: 409member
    The power supply is massive! Totally changes the portability equation when it's added to the weight of the laptop.

2.15 pounds! That's almost 3x times the weight of Apples 96W for the 16". 

Product dimensions:
    • Length: 7.64" / 194mm
    • Width: 3.39" / 86mm
    • Height: 0.67" / 17mm

That's the PSU for a 17" model from 2017 (you can even tell from the picture that it's not the same laptop).

The 230 W PSU from Razer is 1.52 lbs, while the 96 W PSU from Apple is 0.92 lbs. Of course, when the MacBook Pro 16 is under full load, it actually drains battery while plugged in.

• Reply 26 of 31
    mocsegmocseg Posts: 86member
    May I suggest a new comparison candidate?
    ThinkPad X1 extreme G2 (15", 4k HDR 500, DCI-P3, gtx1650, 80Wh, 1.7kg)

That would be lovely.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 27 of 31
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 627member
    Increasingly typical Apple fare. Obsolete CPU and GPU components with a limited post-purchase component upgrade cul de sac. Basically, Apple is selling 2018-2019 tech at twice the price compared to that same tech used in last years PC Laptops.
    What CPU should Apple use for the 16” MacBook Pro? The 10th Gen parts came out in April of this year. It is unlikely that Intel can supply the necessary number of CPUs that Apple needs right now given their extreme problems with their 10 nm parts and their lack of supply on 14 nm. Sadly, the “10th Gen” parts we are talking about are still 14 nm. Apple is likely to update the CPUs in the 16” MacBook Pro as soon as Intel can guarantee the quantity that Apple needs—give or take a few months. That is unless these parts don’t offer a meaningful upgrade which given they are still 14 nm is an actual possibility. Apple isn’t going to switch to AMD so that option is almost certainly off the table. So saying Apple selling obsolete CPU and GPU components in June 2020 is just hyperbole. 
  • Reply 28 of 31
    mikeincamikeinca Posts: 20member
    Different colored backlit keys sounds potentially nice.   I wonder how the reliability on both machines will be.  Macs had issues with keyboards before the new one, I assume that won’t be a problem any more.  I know windows laptops often don’t age well.   It’s too bad we can’t evaluate that stuff up front.  It’s always a crap shoot.  

I don’t want to buy a mac now bc of rumored arm coming soon.   I feel like that is a potentially huge game changer, and would like to wait and see, and I have time.  

A 6 lb machine isn’t fun for portability.  4lbs is pushing it.  

The 120 hz high res screen on the fancy windows laptop sounds awesome!
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 29 of 31
    DetnatorDetnator Posts: 287member

Good move Cook. Little wonder Gates is buying up so much Apple stock, he's looking to buy in and cash out quick before Apple customers wise up to the fact that Apple died with Steve Jobs' death.

SJCRIP
    Omg seriously?  "Obsolete"?  Sure, tech moves on quickly, but tech isn't obsolete in a year - especially when that tech is Intel right now.  Good grief.

Have you been paying attention to anything recently?  Never mind that (1) each gen of Intel chips the last few years are barely an improvement over the previous gen and (2) Apple's laptops come with other chips in them as well that take a bunch of load off the CPU, meaning for the same specs the Mac is faster at most workflows.

Meanwhile your comment about Gates buying up Apple Stock makes absolutely zero sense, even aside from the fact that Apple has just about quadrupled in value since Jobs' death.  So yeah... umm... what are you talking about?  

Then again... your name is "...trollin'..." -- perhaps your post was entirely sarcasm?
  • Reply 30 of 31
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,164member
    Is it reasonable to consider, if attempting comparisons, to add the dongle cost and weight required to match the ports?
    No that’s absurd. The beauty of using a universal port is that you are free to add the interfaces you need, and I mine. And in most cases you don’t even need a dongle, just use the proper cable. Need HDMI? Use a USB-C to HDMI cable.
    Absurd?  Hmmm... A USB-C to HDMI cable isn't 'free' nor weightless either to transport, if one is doing a comparison of value, and one has to 'manage' both cables and dongles for all those concerned with portability, or minimizing baggage, vs grab and go, and potential unexpected onsite needs...

Trading cable/dongle convenience adding a MBP dock also affects cost, size and weight.

For those with more need for portability than peripherals the MBP may be the better choice.  While the two reviewed may be respective largest screen offerings they seem designed for different needs of powerful laptop vs portable desktop.  The eGPU seems to suggest multi-gpu advantages for the blade vs turning a mbp into a more capable graphics desktop replacement.

If the 17.3" is intended as more of a portable desktop then battery life may be less of a factor, although the power supply most certainly weighs in, as might fan noise, reliability or other hands on considerations unavailable with an analytical hands off review...

"The laptop has Razer’s vapor-chamber cooling system, which is a staple of higher-end Blade models. We found the system to be effective in last year’s model, which didn’t get too hot unless under very heavy load. It does add extra weight to the Blade, though; this one is just over six pounds." https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/21/21265191/razer-blade-pro-17-release-features-price-specs

The recent MBP 5600 graphics option and/or adding the 15.6" Razer may cover additional concerns...

Costs to match connectivity provided by the Blade:

So add another $265 for an Apple grab bag of clutter...

1. UHS-III SD CARD READER 
    2. THUNDERBOLT™ 3 (USBC), 4 LANES OF PCIE
    3. USB-A 3.2 GEN 2 (TYPE-A)
    4. HDMI 2.0B
    5. KENSINGTON SECURITY LOCK
    6. POWER PORT
    7. 2.5GB ETHERNET PORT
    8. USB-C™ 3.2 GEN 2
    9. 3.5 MM HEADPHONE/MICROPHONE COMBO PORT

edited July 2020
  • Reply 31 of 31
    thttht Posts: 5,608member
    Absurd?  Hmmm... A USB-C to HDMI cable isn't 'free' nor weightless either to transport, if one is doing a comparison of value, and one has to 'manage' both cables and dongles for all those concerned with portability, or minimizing baggage, vs grab and go, and potential unexpected onsite needs...

Trading cable/dongle convenience adding a MBP dock also affects cost, size and weight.

Costs to match connectivity provided by the Blade:
    So add another $265 for an Apple grab bag of clutter...
    A Macbook Pro user can just buy a dock. They range from $30 to $500, or more, depending on the users' needs.

A lot of the AI PC vs Mac laptop comparisons aren't that apt. Razer buyers are primarily gamers. Mac buyers are primarily a melange of content creation, Unix tools, development, and web working, that value Apple's triangle of portability, quietness and design language. Not too much overlap in the Venn diagram here.