23-inch iMac, 10.8-inch iPad Air, new iPad mini coming in 'second-half' of 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Apple may be planning on launching redesigned iMac and iPad models with new display sizes in the second half of 2020, though it isn't clear exactly when.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Rumors of a new "iPad Air 4" and iMac models have been circulating for a while now, with recent reports suggesting that a redesigned Apple all-in-one Mac with a T2 chip and "iPad Pro design language" could debut at WWDC 2020 on June 22.

In a paywalled report on Friday, DigiTimes corroborates the updates but throws in a bit of uncertainty about the timeline. According to the report, the site claims that the new iMacs and iPads will launch in "second-half 2020." Although new flagship iPads models are often debuted in the fall, the report conflicts with timelines that suggest an iMac redesign will be unveiled by the end of June.

The "second half of 2020," of course, kicks in on July 1, so it's possible that Apple could debut a 2020 iMac at WWDC 2020 with shipments to customers to take place a week or two after.

Aside from the launch timing, the DigiTimes report basically echoes previous rumors of iPad and Mac updates. It claims that Apple will debut a 10.8-inch iPad Air, an 8.x-inch iPad mini, and a new 12.9-inch iPad Pro with a mini-LED display.

Well-connected TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously forecast similar screen sizes, and mini-LED iPad rumors have been numerous. A 2020 iMac redesign with a 23-inch display was also reported in April.

DigiTimes is a publication with good sources in Apple's supply chain, but it has a poor track record for extrapolating specific details and information about future Apple products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Definitely eyeing that 11.8" iPad for the 14yo. Cool if it has a Magic Keyboard and Pencil 2.

Hopefully it comes in September.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    I’ve been waiting for a well redesigned iMac for ages, just don’t appreciate the price gouging for memory. Hopefully they will be available sooner rather than later 
    Scot1
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I’m glad 2H20 is only 19 days away.

Or 198 days away.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    I can well imagine a 23" iMac update. The current 21.5" display is a bit cramped by modern standards, but for home use a 27" iMac rather dominates its space. 23" would be Goldilocks' "just right" for the home, while with narrow bezels it need be no larger that today's 21.5"
    firelockdocno42
  • Reply 5 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Looking for updated Apple TV Box. All these rumors pointed ready for any day shipment.
    gregoriusmPetrolDaveF_Kent_D
  • Reply 6 of 18
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    wood1208 said:
    Looking for updated Apple TV Box. All these rumors pointed ready for any day shipment.
    Me too! I have the Apple TV 3rd gen. From 2012!
    PetrolDave
  • Reply 7 of 18
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Good timing. My iPad Air is starting to creak more than a little. 
  • Reply 8 of 18
    I would prefer More regular and substantial internal upgrades over new form factors. 
  • Reply 9 of 18
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    neilm said:
    I can well imagine a 23" iMac update. The current 21.5" display is a bit cramped by modern standards, but for home use a 27" iMac rather dominates its space. 23" would be Goldilocks' "just right" for the home, while with narrow bezels it need be no larger that today's 21.5"
    I have an old 2012 iMac 27” that I rotated to my wife to use in the part of our kitchen she uses as an office. I didn’t realize how huge it was until we tried making a place for it there.
    docno42
  • Reply 10 of 18
    If ARM is around the corner I would hope Apple continues to support INTEL Macs for 5-7 years. Who wants to drop $5,000 (iMac Pro) to $50,000 (Mac Pro) on a doorstop?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I would prefer More regular and substantial internal upgrades over new form factors. 
    INTEL is the limiting factor.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    It's amazing how timeless the Mac design is. A simple shift to space-grey and they are clocking nearly 20-years of minimalism as an art form.
    F_Kent_D
  • Reply 13 of 18
    mikedlmikedl Posts: 2member
    I've been waiting forever for an iMac to replace my 2013 27". Looks like I might be waiting longer, because 24" isn't enough...
    Grayeagle
  • Reply 14 of 18
    s  I'll have to watt to try out an actual 23" in our Apple retail store before "upgrading."  My late 2015 still is chugging along on Catalina.

BTW, will the change to AMD negate some of my applications?  I'm still unhappy that Apple ditched Rosetta, and Catalina wiped out my 32bit apps I used for word processing and for Hour World.  Yes, I know the developers received a lengthy notice of the complete change to 64bit; however, a "Rosetta-type function would have been nice. 
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 15 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Give us an iMac or Macbook Pro that converts to iPad function and we’re good.
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 16 of 18
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Get me an iMac made with high performance desktop parts and then I'll get excited.

I don't need a glorified laptop wedged into a screen display case.  I hope Apples obsession with "thin" starts to moderate with at least some concessions to performance being catered to for once.
  • Reply 17 of 18

Why not both?  It used to happen before the Mac became the bastard stepchild.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Grayeagle said:
    s  I'll have to watt to try out an actual 23" in our Apple retail store before "upgrading."  My late 2015 still is chugging along on Catalina.

BTW, will the change to AMD negate some of my applications?  I'm still unhappy that Apple ditched Rosetta, and Catalina wiped out my 32bit apps I used for word processing and for Hour World.  Yes, I know the developers received a lengthy notice of the complete change to 64bit; however, a "Rosetta-type function would have been nice. 
    It's too bad iMac's bodged the whole VESA mount thing - there are many quality monitor arms out there now and they really provide some cool functionally, especially for use cases like your wife's.  I'm hoping the iMac Pro style mount becomes standard on all iMacs so you have more of a choice.