Alleged 'iPhone 12' molds hint at appearance of 2020 models

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
Photos of alleged molds for the "iPhone 12" have surfaced, physical props that offer a hint at what to expect from the 2020 iPhone refresh in the fall.

Alleged 'iPhone 12' models [via Twitter/@Jin_Store]
Alleged 'iPhone 12' models [via Twitter/@Jin_Store]

The molds, posted to Twitter by @Jin_Store, show off three different screen sizes of what could be the "iPhone 12." Made from metal, the molds offer a highly detailed and fairly plausible visualization of how the new models could look like compared to each other at launch.

While three sizes of display are used, there are five models depicted in one of the images. Rumors have pointed to screen sizes of 5.4 inches, 6.1 inches, and 6.7 inches, with the middle screen size being used for both "iPhone 12" and "Pro" variants. The differing camera counts also warrants the creation of multiple models for the same phone size.

The sides are squared off, just like the rumored #iPhone12 #iPhone12Pro pic.twitter.com/u2lg4pcxSV

-- JinStore (@Jin_Store)

Across the range, the models show the standard volume buttons and the Silence switch on the left-hand side, a single side button on the right, and a camera bump on the rear. The notch is also visible along with the TrueDepth Camera array, but while rumors suggest it could be shrunk down, it seems to be at its normal size in the models.

The styling of the models is one with flat edges, seemingly going along with rumors that Apple would use a band similar to the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 used a glass cover on the rear, with the band around the edge being flat in design.

Other CAD images shared by the tweeter give a better look at the camera section of the models, specifically showing a model with three camera lenses and a space for a flash. Depending on the model it is supposedly showing, it could mean one of the lenses is for the rumored depth-mapping LiDAR sensor in the non-Pro models, or that the LiDAR is incorporated in the Pro editions slightly differently from what was shown with its introduction in the iPad Pro line.

Despite being convincing, and something that surfaces regularly in iPhone rumors, the existence of such models is no guarantee of a finalized design. Accessory producers often create models of soon-to-launch devices to help with the production of new products, such as cases.

As these models can derive from leaked CAD images and be based on rumors and speculation, it is somewhat plausible for the models to be incorrect in some fashion.

These are also not the first models of the iPhones to surface in June, with a collection of mockups released at the start of the month being quite similar in appearance, albeit with a fake screen installed.

More clearer details about the iPhone 12 range will almost certainly surface ahead of its launch, with the accuracy also expected to increase as time draws near.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    What happened to the smaller notch ?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    The smaller notch is and always was a rumour that was never confirmed by anybody. These metal models could also be fake, and wrong with some details, since they mostly seem to follow features that have only been rumoured without any real verification.

If you watch the annual rumour mill closely, you'll usually find that the track record to be about 50-60 percent -- people just tend to forget the rumours and mock-ups and speculative stuff that doesn't every actually arrive, but remember the rumours that guessed or had inside info that was accurate, so the perception is that rumours are nearly always right when analysis shows that that's not the case.

We'll find out soon enough if these are accurate. I suspect they are, but I'm always happy to be surprised.
    fred1StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I will be all over that smaller one. My battery crippled iPhone 7 just has to last three months. Then I will probably drop it. Accidentally.
    razorpitcornchip
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    My 6S Plus is running on fumes. Plan on either the 5.4" or the 6.1" this time around.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Looking at those images brings to mind words like "sturdier" or "industrial."  I expect that that's not a coincidence.  Given the current situation/instability I'm sure consumers are putting a higher value on predictability, reliability, functionality compared to attributes like elegant and "magical."  I wouldn't be surprised to see this reflected in the "design language" of other products in the new few years.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    A- these aren’t molds. They’re likely just machined mockups for the purpose of fitting cases.

B- love the return to squared off design. Hopefully I’ll be able to afford the smallest one (the one I want anyway) by this fall. Prolly not tho. 
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 7 of 11
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Since I use a case (like everyone I know), these minor external design tweaks are meaningless to me. I never used to use a case until I got an iPhone X, but that thing was so darn expensive and so slippery that I put it in an Otterbox and never looked back. With the full-screen design and the back and sides totally hidden, the software interface is now the only thing I see. The original conception of the iPhone touch screen making the device a blank slate really has come true.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 11
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    chasm said:
    The smaller notch is and always was a rumour that was never confirmed by anybody. These metal models could also be fake, and wrong with some details, since they mostly seem to follow features that have only been rumoured without any real verification.

If you watch the annual rumour mill closely, you'll usually find that the track record to be about 50-60 percent -- people just tend to forget the rumours and mock-ups and speculative stuff that doesn't every actually arrive, but remember the rumours that guessed or had inside info that was accurate, so the perception is that rumours are nearly always right when analysis shows that that's not the case.

We'll find out soon enough if these are accurate. I suspect they are, but I'm always happy to be surprised.
    👊🏼👍🏼
  • Reply 9 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    I like both iPhone 4 and 6 design look.
    Grayeagle
  • Reply 10 of 11
     Ditto on the 4 and 6 look. Easier to handle.